We saw like 10-20 Dothraki run back after the initial charge. The idea that half are still alive is just a insult to the audience’s intelligence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post

That clearly is left side of the chest, nowhere near centre.
    The screenshot is helpful. Thanks. I agree.

15+ Year Old Account
    The scene with the boat ambush has to be one of the biggest mistakes in any show in the last decade. How bad is that writing? Rocking boat, moving dragons, 3-4 consecutive direct hits from boats that also should've been visible to somebody who was flying that high.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Expect it to be chopped off to "The old gods have no power in the south, the weirwoods were cut down there", even though there were no such trees in Dorne for the Tower of Joy.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Well, at this point decent logic and good writing is clearly being thrown out the window just to create WOW/WTF situations. Its obvious, that even after 7 previous seasons and the option to take theyre time and build everything up, they have now forced themself to end the show one way or another. They went for the visual effects as a way to end it all, two major battles and all.

Just look at the scene in episode 4 when the dragon is hit. Suddenly, out of nowhere(with two dragons with dany one one of them), the iron fleet appears. Neither the dragons or Dany saw them. How is that even possible? Then when the dragon goes down with curgical precision, they go on and miss with 10+ shots on dany and her dragon.
    And instead of actually just fly BEHIND the ships and torch it all up, dany flees. I mean, those ships cant turn quickly. Those ballistas cant be charged quickly. So why the hell does she flee?

That whole scene had only 1 mission. To create WOW/WTF moment with a shot down dragon and Missandei captured. Beyond that it did nothing. This is the second time the Iron fleet just WOSH appears out of nowhere and everyone is caught off guard. Why even go with boats when they got theyre asses kicked last time?

I have lots of other quirks with season 8, but to sum it up everything feels so cheap and cut short now.
    Totally agree. They have some characters make the stupidest decisions and others look like geniuses with magical skills just so that they can make cool looking stuff.

As far as the ship mounted ballistas, they look like they can swivel 360 deg and seem to reload very quickly somehow. However, when they ambush the dragons, the ships are between two islands, which gives Dany an even better way to attack them. She could either fly high out of the elevation of the ballistas and dive down on them, or go around an island using it for cover and burn the ships from behind. Even if the ballistas turn to face the stern of the ship, the sails will be in the way and they will have to damage their own ships trying to hit a dragon they can't see very well.

Dany also ran away after the Night King resisted the dragon fire and threw his one spear at her. She just leaves Jon there in the middle of nowhere when the NK doesn't have any more weapons to threaten a dragon with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Plus, I'm 99.99% certain that the Mountain dies via Cleganebowl. There's really no other way to finish off both him and Sandor, and such a duel would be pure fanservice as well.
    This is definitely going to happen. The real question is if the Hound will be alive after the fight or will they kill each other. It's hard to tell who will kill Cersei because there are so many fanservice ways to do it. Some people want Arya to assassinate her (fewer now because she got the NK kill). Some want Jaime or Tyrion to get her.

My theory is that Yara comes back to get revenge on Euron because everyone has to be killed by someone they have personal beef with. Cersei dies from childbirth while losing the siege because it will be the same unsatisfactory death as Melisandre although less so because there is a prophecy that she will not have any more children. Also I doubt they will kill her while she is pregnant, GRRM did not write this.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Yeah and when it comes to 'canon' it is "first come, first served". If GRRM decides to write the story in his books wildly different than what the TV show has delivered, then his writing is just revisionist fan fiction.
    Keyword: adaptation. HBO bought the rights to ADAPT Martin's work within certain bounds, gaining access to portraying characters, events and such on TV the way they see fit. It's entirely their problem that the source material ended, nobody prodded dead Tolkien with a stick to write more after Return of the King was released in cinemas. And no, the art of adaptation is not a game of tag, when someone "overcomes" someone else they don't switch places. Fuck, especially since there are literally 2 different timelines between TV show and the books, HBO created scenes that don't happen in books, and books contain material that wasn't shown in the series, or changed entirely (Dorne plot, for instance).

Damn, I know I shouldn't have replied to this, but it's just so freaking dumb.

Clegane Bowl to be the new Ser Arryk and Ser Erryk? History does love repeating itself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Keyword: adaptation. HBO bought the rights to ADAPT Martin's work within certain bounds, gaining access to portraying characters, events and such on TV the way they see fit. It's entirely their problem that the source material ended, nobody prodded dead Tolkien with a stick to write more after Return of the King was released in cinemas. And no, the art of adaptation is not a game of tag, when someone "overcomes" someone else they don't switch places. Fuck, especially since there are literally 2 different timelines between TV show and the books, HBO created scenes that don't happen in books, and books contain material that wasn't shown in the series, or changed entirely (Dorne plot, for instance).

Damn, I know I shouldn't have replied to this, but it's just so freaking dumb.
    Yes, that's how it works technically and in theory

However, how the public perceives his revisionist version, if it ever even will be released, on the story already seen on TV years before is an entirely different thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Literally had to boot up HBO to see if it was true. It was. How sloppy can you be? They're so over this show.
    omfg I did the same and right, this was indeed a blunder.

How the fuck does this go through cut, edit and screening, when you spend 2 years filming it omg?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    omfg I did the same and right, this was indeed a blunder.

How the fuck does this go through cut, edit and screening, when you spend 2 years filming it omg?!
    I hear ya. HBO went and edited it out recently, so that's something I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    We saw like 10-20 Dothraki run back after the initial charge. The idea that half are still alive is just a insult to the audience’s intelligence.
    Seriously, the casualties sustained by the defenders of Winterfell is a serious case of them showing us one thing and telling us another. Everyone's fucking dead in episode 3, except for the plot armored main characters of course. The entire castle is completely full of bodies and said main characters are hanging on to dear life, I think there's like one sequence where we see a tower being overrun towards the end right before the NK gets Arya'd but apart from that almost no common soldier is seen standing.

But now half of them survived? Wut? These guys are cheating. That's not what was shown at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    The scene with the boat ambush has to be one of the biggest mistakes in any show in the last decade. How bad is that writing? Rocking boat, moving dragons, 3-4 consecutive direct hits from boats that also should've been visible to somebody who was flying that high.
    I mean it is really bad, but I don't actually know it is any worse then the two previous time the iron fleet attacked. The first time they somehow found the fleet going to dorne in a massive fog bank, and managed get so close they rammed the main characters flagship with Eurons flagship. Before someone says that the ironborne can navigate in a fog, consider that all of Yara and Theon's men were ironborne too.

The second time, Euron managed to race over to the other side of the continent to attack the other fleet that left Dragonstone at the same time as the first one. This time he managed to ambush them on a clear day, when the view we have you can see for dozens of miles. And again, his ships are all up in their grill barbequing everyone before anyone notices.

This time he managed to ambush flying dragons using a fleet of medieval sailing ships. Then he used medieval surface to air missiles to go 3 for 3 on the first dragon, and 0 for 20 on the second. Then he used those weapons to annihilate an entire fleet in seconds, and promptly disappeared again.

I mean it is all silly, but at least they are fairly consistent about it being a superpowered ghost fleet that wrecks people harder then the Flying Dutchmen does.

Quote Originally Posted by Isilrien View Post
    I hear ya. HBO went and edited it out recently, so that's something I guess.
    Ugh... I mean I do enjoy the show still, but only because I have started to ignore the overwhelmingly stupid decisions the characters are taking or the glaring plotholes, like half the army still being alive after E3 (like, wtf?) or sending the unsullied away on a boat trip. Or those massively OP ballistae with aimbots.

Just look at this here

First bolt hit from the bottom left side of the screen, straight into his torso:

Second bolt hit from the left center side of the screen, going through his wing

Thrid bolt hit from the RIGHT CENTER side of the screen, piercing his neck.

How the fuck is this possible based on the positions of the ships? Either they're spread so badly around that they can shoot from two sides, or GoT doesn't give a fuck about realistic trajectories.

And judging on where the ships were in the next few shots, my call is on the latter.

Right, we don't see Dany taking any turns, just heading straight for the ships (which makes it all even dumber, because then they should have been straight in her view)

Nonetheless, to me it makes zero sense how they shot down Rhaegal
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2019-05-07 at 07:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    How the fuck is this possible based on the positions of the ships? Either they're spread so badly around that they can shoot from two sides, or GoT doesn't give a fuck about realistic trajectories.

And judging on where the ships were in the next few shots, my call is on the latter.
    I mean you aren't wrong... but that is what bothered you about that scene? I mean basically none of it made sense, so I guess we can just pile that onto the stack.

Personally visual things like this don't bother me much, because some of it is a consequence of translating it to a visual medium. For instance, I assume in cannon all the characters actually wear helmets to battle, so a wight doesn't eat their squishy, unarmored face off. Helmets are the closest to a ubiquitous form of armor that exists, every culture used them on almost everyone that went into a fight on purpose because human heads are very exposed and vulnerable. But I accept they don't wear them in TV and movies just so you can keep track of the characters and see their facial expressions. I put the direction of the spear bolts in the same category, it doesn't really bother me what angle they come in, the point is that the dragon is very dead.

Now you are still right, it is stupid and they could have done it better, but almost everything else about that scene bothers me more, because none of it makes sense to the rules of the setting.

The fact that they dont already have the dragons armored is stupid, their most valued war asset dies one after another. They have some awesome blacksmiths that surely could come up with something.
    Do you hear the voices too?

So the problem with this show is 100% the writers, right?

The direction, production, and acting (overall) are superb. All of the stupid decisions, teleports, physics, impossible scenarios to maximize drama - all of that is a writing problem right?

Other than the supposed cinematography baffle in s8e3 (which personally I never noticed during broadcast on my TV other than 'hey its dark!'), I think all of the problems with this show fall squarely on Benioff and Weiss. Without the backbone of GRRM writing, they are exposing themselves as hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Y'know, I'd take that more seriously if I were still waiting anxiously for the next book. But I'm not. The first couple books were great, but 3 and 4 were a massive slog, especially given that they both cover the same time period, just separating between the continents. And there's not a huge amount that happens, that really matters, at least. Everything up to the Red Wedding, in the books and the show, is gold. After that, it starts to flag, and you start realizing that while Martin had a start to a story, he had no idea where it was ending.
    As a book reader and a show watcher, this is to me the Golden Era, so to speak, of Martin literary career in his A Song of Ice and Fire world. After that, the story quality systematically falls, in a way as if Martin himself got tiered of his own world and was writing for the sake of writing itself. A lot of hardcore fans of his often compare him to Tolkien and say how Tolkien never wrote anything serious and did not write about mature subjects. I disagree, but that is not the point. The point is that in the works of Tolkien, the story continues to flow like a beautiful river from the beginning of the story to the end of the story. Everything up to the Red Wedding, in the books and the show, flows beautifully, but after that? Not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    I mean you aren't wrong... but that is what bothered you about that scene? I mean basically none of it made sense, so I guess we can just pile that onto the stack.

Personally visual things like this don't bother me much, because some of it is a consequence of translating it to a visual medium. For instance, I assume in cannon all the characters actually wear helmets to battle, so a wight doesn't eat their squishy, unarmored face off. Helmets are the closest to a ubiquitous form of armor that exists, every culture used them on almost everyone that went into a fight on purpose because human heads are very exposed and vulnerable. But I accept they don't wear them in TV and movies just so you can keep track of the characters and see their facial expressions. I put the direction of the spear bolts in the same category, it doesn't really bother me what angle they come in, the point is that the dragon is very dead.

Now you are still right, it is stupid and they could have done it better, but almost everything else about that scene bothers me more, because none of it makes sense to the rules of the setting.
    I mean I am just your average joe sitting on his chair and on second glance that's what bothered me insanely. At first I was of course also just shocked about Rhaegal getting destroyed all of a sudden. What I cannot believe is that people who are paid insanely more than I am and who are from the field do not notice, or they simply don't care about that level of detail.

Or how maboy Euron doesn't give a fuck that Tyrion somehow knows about Cersei's pregnancy.

Or the inconsistency between armies mentioned and armies shown. Wasn't Dany supposed to have 100.000 Dothraki Screamers? What we saw were maybe a thousand in the second to last episode.

Or how they pretend to have lost only half their army while it was quite clear that it was just about a last man standing scenario towards the end.

Or how Cersei could have just ended it all right there during the parley.

I still like watching the show, don't get me wrong. But that's because I've lowered my expectations and start to analyze each episode only after 1-2 days. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by BaronRivendare View Post
    man this was way off :P
    Couldn't have been more off!

I blame horrendous writing decisions.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

It pisses me off how Euron was able to kill Rhaegal when the Night King and Viserion couldn't. It also pisses me off that the Night King isn't mentioned ONCE in this episode. You'd think Ice Satan would still be in everyone's thoughts. Finally, it greatly pisses me off how they made such a big deal out of the Night King and in the end he doesn't even get past Winterfell, the second northernmost castle in the continent. I wanted to see the South quiver in fear as the Night King invaded.

But No, we just have to continue with the forced political drama because "It'S cAlLeD gAmE oF tHrOnEs".
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands