Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mophead View Post
    and it would require players to do stuff outside of the raid in order to progress through it.
    Don't we already have that with farming food, flasks, pots, runes, enchantments? I don't see any good in requiring us to farm resist gear on top of that. Also, resist gear means gimping oneself in damage/healing which isn't fun either.

In my experience as a priest in classic, people always said you needed ~150-200 fire resistance for Ragnaros iirc. I think I sat at 75 max? Never had a problem.

Resistances weren't THAT big of a deal for most unless you were a tank.

As far as fun factor goes, it was quite boring. Most of it was passive things on gear anyway or a buff you could put on. Its an RPG element, but I think at best bringing back a totem or paladin aura or buffs would suffice, but they pretty much completely removed those as well and are only slowly introducing some things back.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    But in my limited knowledge, resistance-stacking is pretty boring, you get enough resistance gear (Farm or craft it), put it on and then do the fight without thinking about it again, until it’s time to play dress-up for the next fight, such interesting gameplay...
    It was interesting in vanilla pvp thats for sure. Someone attacks me, i gotta figure out if its a spellcaster and if so, swap to the correct resistance set in my bags and go at it.

What makes resistance gear boring is being unable to swap gear in combat and being able to use a macro to swap gear sets. That simplifies and automates the process and yah THAT is boring. I mean raiding would be boring as hell if i could write a simple /castsequence macro, hotkey it to 1 and spam it for max dps every time.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-05-07 at 10:38 PM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I really like pretty much all things vanilla but truth be told this system really wasn't that exciting during raid encounters. But it did make for a more vibrant economy because a lot of random drops suddenly earned value. It also caused players to go and farm certain areas and places to acquire it which builds community. But in todays game it would never work. Unless a system in todays game is designed to reward the player and reward them quickly odds are it will be a flop.

Hey all,
    Would you like to see WoW return to a time where resistances were required for some boss fights? Where you actually have to replace a piece or peices of armor with ones that have a certain type of resistance on it because the boss does excessively heavy damage of that type of magic?
    Maybe at the higher difficulty but not in the normal.

Personally I think this would give a bit more variety to raid encounters, and give players something to do outside of the raid to prepare for it. I always liked the idea of resistances, and would like for them to return to the game in some form in the future.
    Hm. If I recall, it just meant people had to farm for the right piece of gear. Otherwise no raid slots for them. Have no direct personal experience on this myself but people I know that have experience were not that enthusiastic at the time.

What they could do is add resistance via gems, enchants or maybe even potions instead. So now people have to choose between taking less damage or doing more damage. Decision decisions. Not sure how or even it would work but it is an option.
    Last edited by Sansnom; 2019-05-08 at 02:57 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Healers have to stay relevant and you don't want convoluted raid designs.

I think this is why they haven't phased out mastery completely as a stat and just slapped versatility on everything (since versatility is basically achieving the same thing as mastery) because vers reduces damage taken and they need to keep healers relevant and not make it too hard on themselves to balance encounters around players having the ability to become nigh impervious to magic damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like the game to be returned to how it was during Mists. It's way to boring now and too much of a chore to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    Don't hold your breath, simplification is the name of the game these days.
    Probably even more so since Classic will full that niche for people.

I'd say no to resistances but I'd bring back hardmodes that you had to trigger yourselves, as in Ulduar. Those were the most fun and engaging to me. Maybe I'm the only one?

Wow Players: Fuck all that time gating Blizzard is doing now
    Also Wow Players: Bring back fights that require resistances...
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    I'd say no to resistances but I'd bring back hardmodes that you had to trigger yourselves, as in Ulduar. Those were the most fun and engaging to me. Maybe I'm the only one?
    thats basically what mythic raids are without the triggering part.

5+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard its already trying on a "more proactive" gameplay adding a bunch of new raid items on Eternal Palace with "special" effects, like old times. So probably for the next expa after Classic its launch and being played, Blizzard can see how elemental and race resistance will be usefull, work or dont on retail enviroment.

But they are already trying new things, remember, BfA its a transition expansion therefore Beta for Azeroth its actually a reality now.

I never understood people enjoying resistances or hit/expertise/defense ratings. It was stacking gear until you hit a magic number and then you were able to fight the boss. It's artificial gating in the best cases. It was a primitive tool to extend the length of raids. It's better, more engaging, and more enjoyable to have a challenging boss fight due to mechanics and the difficulty in execution.

Resistances simply take away from other stats, so if you require it, then you need to make bosses have less health to compensate (or just have an obnoxiously long fight). You could, in theory, reintroduce it as a tertiary stat (or something that doesn't detract from DPS/HPS stats), but then you run into the issue of everyone having it always then. There just is not a compelling gameplay reason to have stats like these. It's why our stats are so reduced; WoW is highly a numbers game and a wide variety of secondary stats matter little when people will simply stack their top stats.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Yes, I thought it was a great additional aspect to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapo View Post
    thats basically what mythic raids are without the triggering part.
    It's not as good to just set it to mythic. It feels like you have something to do with it, to have to actively trigger the mode.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    No I'd rather we have complex fights instead of fights where the whole goal is to cripple your character's throughput for resistances and gum the fight to death just so you can switch into real gear for fights with actual interesting mechanics. It's just more outside of the raid busywork, just another thing for raid leads to jump up people's ass about, and nothing even mildly interesting about it.

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Which one is more simple:

A stat-check: you have X amount of fire resistance so you don't die to Y thing.

Having you actually watch out for mechanics and deal with them.

Simplification is a heavy term to use, when encounters have only gotten more and more complex over the years.
    Oh but "Thing I don't like is simplification" has been the name of the game for complainers since the start. Anyone that raided back in the day and raided now knows that raids are much more complex than the tedium that was Vanilla raiding. It was just the game throwing a bunch of annoying shit in your way between bosses (Some of the naxx and AQ trash was horrible about that.) and then a boss fight that's a gear check with very few mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    It's not as good to just set it to mythic. It feels like you have something to do with it, to have to actively trigger the mode.
    Then it's not going to be well tuned. You're going to either need to remove Mythic for that to trigger poorly tuned hard modes on heroic, or add another difficulty on top of Mythic where you can trigger an even harder mode for individual fights. It's clunky either way.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Wow Players: Fuck all that time gating Blizzard is doing now
    Also Wow Players: Bring back fights that require resistances...
    It's almost as if WoW has a diverse player base of millions of people with different likes and dislikes. Weird.

What's amazing to me is people want stuff to do, but don't want to do one of the main things an MMO has typically always been about, which is farming gear. Vanilla executed it in an odd way with bad itemization, farming Maraudon for nature resist for a third tier raid was pretty silly, but that's not what OP was walking about.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2019-05-08 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    It's almost as if WoW has a diverse player base of millions of people with different likes and dislikes.
    except its often the same people saying both things. Not all the time, sure. Some people just want all time gates removed and some people just want resistances restored in raids...but there is a Venn Diagram that connects the two.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    except its often the same people saying both things. Not all the time, sure. Some people just want all time gates removed and some people just want resistances restored in raids...but there is a Venn Diagram that connects the two.
    Farming gear isn't a time gate, even resist gear, because it's not really any different. People run X M+ dungeon for Y gear already, I ran Atal'Dazar for the Str/Haste proc trinket, resist just gives you more targets, people simply hate the idea of actually playing the game outside of raiding lately, which I don't entirely blame them, but it leads them to label anything they don't want to spend time doing as a "time gate".

Time gates are things like Sunwell raid locks, or Legion Mission board missions for the third relic slot, it's literally gated by time, no matter what you do it takes X time and you just have to sit there and do nothing. If it takes X time to do but you can put in X time over one day or three, that's not a time gate, that's a personal gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Farming gear isn't a time gate, even resist gear, because it's not really any different. People run X M+ dungeon for Y gear already, I ran Atal'Dazar for the Str/Haste proc trinket, resist just gives you more targets, people simply hate the idea of actually playing the game outside of raiding lately, which I don't entirely blame them, but it leads them to label anything they don't want to spend time doing as a "time gate".

Time gates are things like Sunwell raid locks, or Legion Mission board missions for the third relic slot, it's literally gated by time, no matter what you do it takes X time and you just have to sit there and do nothing. If it takes X time to do but you can put in X time over one day or three, that's not a time gate, that's a personal gate.
    Sure, we can get Pedantic about what "Time gate" really means...but we both know the kinds of players I'm talking about...so why not skip that?