Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    PC gamers have never been ok with exclusives.
    Most people were happy it when many old console exclusives started appearing on steam.
    I mean there's been PC exclusive games since the 80s so /shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I mean there's been PC exclusive games since the 80s so /shrug.
    Those that you call exclusives are just games that game companies didn't find suitable for consoles
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Those that you call exclusives are just games that game companies didn't find suitable for consoles
    Exactly. I doubt that some ever said to sony or microsoft "No we won't release the game on your console, it's a pc system seller".

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    The problem is they aren't competing. They aren't selling the same product, therefore, not competing.
    They are. They're competing in the same space, and one way to compete is to do so with exclusive content that you create or you buy exclusivity for. They don't have to offer identical content to compete. It's no different than streaming services getting outside shows/movies for exclusive periods to draw viewers there way.

This is like tv channels getting exclusives for brodcasting sports events or tv series
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    This is like tv channels getting exclusives for brodcasting sports events or tv series
    That's a really good way of putting it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Salty Feline Overlord Beerbill Society's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Epic is awesome, stop being haters. They are just doing what is necessary, Steam have been sitting on it's throne for so long that it forgot why it was there in the first place.

"... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." - Ezekiel 25:17

"My name is Legion: for we are many." - Mark 5:9
    My characters :3

Quote Originally Posted by Beerbill Society View Post
    Epic is awesome, stop being haters.
    I wouldn't go that far, there's plenty to be critical of.

Like the fact that someone was able to create an account using one of my email addresses because Epic, for some unknown reason, doesn't have basic email verification functionality for new account creation like just about every single other online service ever does.

I support their shaking up the digital storefront market and trying to give Valve a real run for their money with Steam, but they have a ton of ground to make up and are missing some pretty basic functionality for a storefront in the current market.

15+ Year Old Account
    Epic is awesome, stop being haters. They are just doing what is necessary, Steam have been sitting on it's throne for so long that it forgot why it was there in the first place.
    I dont trust people that are unable to criticize.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, there's plenty to be critical of.

Like the fact that someone was able to create an account using one of my email addresses because Epic, for some unknown reason, doesn't have basic email verification functionality for new account creation like just about every single other online service ever does.

I support their shaking up the digital storefront market and trying to give Valve a real run for their money with Steam, but they have a ton of ground to make up and are missing some pretty basic functionality for a storefront in the current market.
    Steam user experience (usability) is awful, I'm sure i will die 3 years early because of it, it's almost impossible to add keys on mobile, or anything in mobile for that matter, to login is hell and for do so in new device is pure agony, and I'd rather shot myself than create a new account.

Don't get me wrong, EPIC store front is bad sure, but they came along just fine in a few months, Steam have so much (old and pretty well know) problems and they don't even bother or care to fix.

And you can access your account by OAuth and change the account if they 'stole' your email, if it was Gmail or has a Facebook account with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I dont trust people that are unable to criticize.
    Me neither, but you have to know the difference between criticism and hate, people are so willing to defend Steam and paint Epic as villain, that it's looking desperate and just silly at this point.

For feedback they have an appropriate forum for giving suggestions and they even share development roadmap for their products, the store included.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    It isn't, Epic Launcher is extremely basic compared to Steam.

However, while I’m not too fond of the exclusivity deals myself, I do agree that people are going over the top with what’s mostly just an annoying inconvenience, all while refusing to recognize that this isn’t just on Epic… and it’s not just that the other platforms have also done what Epic is doing, but also none of those developers were forced into making that sort of deal.
    I agree their store is primitive at best and to be honest I hate exclusivity deals, they suck.

Like you said, people choose to ignore that the developers themselves are willing and looking for those exclusivity deals, and it was only because Steam treated them like shit in the first place that they do so.

I'm a huge user of Steam, have more than 250 titles in there and to be fair the only product of Epic that i use is Unreal, but for the last couple of years I was able to follow them I can only say they are an amazing company, it's not fair the hate they are getting only because of this Epic Store vs Steam deal.
    Last edited by Beerbill Society; 2019-05-09 at 01:33 AM.

"... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." - Ezekiel 25:17

10+ Year Old Account
    Criticizing a company that has a ton of problems means you're a hater now?

Like you said, people choose to ignore that the developers themselves are willing and looking for those exclusivity deals, and it was only because Steam treated them like shit in the first place that they do so.
    No they just get more money with Epic. That's it. And in most cases they don't even get them money, it stays with the Publisher. And we all like Publishers, don't we? Someone has to pay those CEOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Didn't you read about it? The poor fellows are starving and at a risk of going homeless =P
    Start the collection plate?

Collection plates, the original micro transaction.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

No they just get more money with Epic. That's it.
    I mean, "getting money" is kinda the whole point of developing and releasing a game. How dare they want to "get more money" for taking the risk of making a videogame!

And in most cases they don't even get them money, it stays with the Publisher.
    Except Epic is getting both exclusives from publishers like Ubisoft as well as plenty of independent developers without publishers. Are those indie devs also somehow just as bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Except Epic is getting both exclusives from publishers like Ubisoft as well as plenty of independent developers without publishers. Are those indie devs also somehow just as bad?
    No they just want more money. Thats legit but no reason to praise them. Especially since they decided to give no part of their bonus income to the customers.
    And several of the developers of games on the epic store spoke out against it but had no choice since their publisher decided to go there. It's not just Ubisoft, studios without publishers seem quite rare.

No they just want more money.
    They do. Why take a risk that your game may not sell well enough to keep all the staff you enjoy working with when you can functionally guarantee profitability with a low risk approach like this?

Businesses don't like risk. If someone is offering to minimize their risk with minimal adverse affects, just about any company run by a rational human being will take it. Their employees are more important than their customers.

Especially since they decided to give no part of their bonus income to the customers.
    They don't "owe" customers anything more than a decent game. It's nice if they do something like a discount on the platform, but at the end of the day customers aren't owed a "tax" because they need to deal with the mild inconvenience of a second launcher.

And several of the developers of games on the epic store spoke out against it but had no choice since their publisher decided to go there.
    Which? That one rogue Metro dev? Who else has thrown their publishers under the bus? Gearbox sure hasn't, they seem hype for their exclusivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    How are EA and Activision competing WHeN oNe SelLS BATtleFiELd aND ThE OthER sElLs cAll oF DUtY?
    Are you saying competitors don't sell the exact same product? What madness is this?? I was certain that Coke and Pepsi weren't competitors; their products aren't even named the same!! /s

Man, the lengths some will go to defend Steam. Gaben isn't your friend, people. He's as money-hungry as anyone in Epic, perhaps moreso. EGS is very much not perfect, but the screeching about them being soooo anti-consumer because exclusives gleefully ignores that Steam itself has a boatload of exclusives, and not just first-party games either.

Epic is trying to break a near monopoly in a large market, of course they have to be cutthroat about it. Being the pro-consumer Mr. Nice Guy is what GoG tried, and while I love the storefront myself it's not even close to being able to take on Steam because it has few big-budget exclusives that draw players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Criticizing a company that has a ton of problems means you're a hater now?
    You talk about criticism but still I haven't read a single compelling argument against Epic, just those clickbait titles like "EPIC strikes again! Using it's evil corporation power it entrap yet another game on it's web of exclusivity".

Which in this specific instance was already dismissed as false since it brought the entire developer of Rocket League.

Like I said previously, it's getting nauseating that people only reason to "criticize" Epic is the way of offering a better deals for game developers, than their competition is willing to.

Like I said previously, it's getting nauseating that people only reason to "criticize" Epic is the way of offering a better deals for game developers, than their competition is willing to.
    How dare EPIC ensure developers get funding to provide games to us while maybe perhaps who the fuck knows if we have to use their launcher. HOW. DARE. THEY.

10+ Year Old Account
    No they just get more money with Epic. That's it. And in most cases they don't even get them money, it stays with the Publisher. And we all like Publishers, don't we? Someone has to pay those CEOs.
    Unfortunately this is how the industry works, money is necessary evil.

My empathy for Epic is not because of their cuts in incomes for the store. Is how they genuinely seem to care about games and game developers. I'm not naive to think they are good for the sake to be good, but they have proven to me time and time again how they want for indies to succeed, and how they are willing to make good and fun games.