Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I thought the point of the song was that cats are assholes, everything else feels incredibly forced.
    This, this exactly. This is especially true with the Siamese breed of cats. They're true assholes, but lovable assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    How so? Which race did I tie those features to?
    You tell me, heck isn't there a stereotype about every race which you base things of... for example for let's say.... a breed of cats a bit humanized? Would you also be offended about German Shepherds being shown as authoritative, proud and strict/stalwart dogs?
    Last edited by The King in Yellow; 2019-05-09 at 02:18 AM.
    Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
    Stranger: Indeed?
    Cassilda: Indeed, it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
    Stranger: I wear no mask.
    Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The buck teeth and slant eyes....
    So what if it plays a bit off a stereotype? That movie was made 64 years ago. How about just reanimating the characters to look more normalized and keep the existing music? Or is that level of creativity too much work for Disney these days?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    So what if it plays a bit off a stereotype? That movie was made 64 years ago. How about just reanimating the characters to look more normalized and keep the existing music? Or is that level of creativity too much work for Disney these days?
    You do know that no one is touching the original right?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

It's always been racist. The difference is when the movie came out, what is still considered an Asian minority today was an even smaller minority back then who were relegated to being second class citizens and accepted that role to assimilate into American culture in exchange for a slice of the American dream while serving anyone too lazy to cook Christmas day dinner a hot meal when all American/Italian/Irish establishments were closed.

Today's Asian Americans are the children and grandchildren of those immigrant forefathers who were too humble and afraid to speak up when America was predominantly white. They feel empowered and have the right to speak up if they feel offended. Disney cares more about making money than maintaining old stereotypes. Are some people easily offended? Sure, but it's ultimately Disney's decision, and obviously they don't think it's worth alienating a demographic at the expense of being 100% faithful to the source material. You want racist cats? The classic animated Lady & The Tramp is there for you but Disney can do as they please with their IP if they're re-making it and no amount of whining will change that.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    What species of cat has slanted eyes and buck teeth?
    None of them. But it certainly plays off a portrayal of Siamese cats based on their origin. They certainly look Oriental in design, but is it really that hard to recreate a film with characters that have different features but still look like Siamese cats?

10+ Year Old Account
    None of them. But it certainly plays off a portrayal of Siamese cats based on their origin. They certainly look Oriental in design, but is it really that hard to recreate a film with characters that have different features but still look like Siamese cats?
    Is it necessary? Will it really change the movie that much if they are different cats and a different song? Isn't the movie more about the dogs?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Honestly.. what I find odd is that, I think, it's white people telling other people; e.g. Asians that this is apparently racist.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    You do know that no one is touching the original right?
    I never said anything about the original, my comment was in reference to the remake. Keep the song, re-record it and just reanimate the cats with a different look. But apparently that's hard for Disney to fucking do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The King in Yellow View Post
    They're cats......
    100% right. Cartoon cats are traditionally bucktoothed with slanted eyes

Oh wait.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I never said anything about the original, my comment was in reference to the remake. Keep the song, re-record it and just reanimate the cats with a different look. But apparently that's hard for Disney to fucking do.
    This, this exactly. The song is quite catchy, I would love them to keep the cats though :P

Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    It's not uncommon for people to be offended at behalf of others.
    Oh trust me I know, I get the question everyday: "Aren't you offended by this?"

By the way, asking for racist Siamese cats might incur Bruce Lee's wrath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not the original though so why keep an old fashioned song that makes no sense in the modern era?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

How would it alienate anyone?
    You're kidding, right? This thread exists because no such idea that Asian Americans might be offended exists?

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Why can't people just grasp the idea that things were a product of its time? This backtrack pandering is just downright pathetic. Learn from history, and carry on from there!
    Being a product of time doesn't mean it is "okay" and should be accepted because "it is just a product of its time"

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe cause they care less about offending people who want racist shit in their movies than the people they would offend with the racist shit?

#gatekeeping?
    Obviously, because I'm the OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    100% right. Cartoon cats are traditionally bucktoothed with slanted eyes

Oh wait.
    cats don't have square teeth either. your just proved how cartoon character design doesn't have anything to do with stereotypes.
    #boycottchina

It's not uncommon for people to be offended at behalf of others.
    If someone calls a jewish person a kike I call them out on it... if someone calls an asian person a gook... I call them out on it. Me not being asian or jewish doesn't mean I can't call people out for being bigots.

Do you have to be gay to say "calling gay people fags that need to die is offensive"?

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    cats don't have square teeth either. your just proved how cartoon character design doesn't have anything to do with stereotypes.
    Not to mention... Siamese cats are known for their almond shaped eyes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    If someone calls a jewish person a kike I call them out on it... if someone calls an asian person a gook... I call them out on it. Me not being asian or jewish doesn't mean I can't call people out for being bigots.

Do you have to be gay to say "calling gay people fags that need to die is offensive"?
    Taking offense on behalf of others not seeing something as offensive is another thing though, compared to obviously offensive terms...

Quote Originally Posted by The King in Yellow View Post
    Not to mention... Siamese cats are known for their almond shaped eyes.....

Taking offense on behalf of others not seeing something as offensive is another thing though, compared to obviously offensive terms...
    excuse me?