Poll: Should blizzard workers get more time off?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Back in the day they had passion. Now they are just a large corporation. Guess what happened when they left: Wildstar
    Do you really want to use Wildstar as an example of what happens when you leave a company to create a work of passion?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Back in the day they had passion. Now they are just a large corperation. Guess what happened when they left: Wildstar

There is nothing wrong with overwork, but you shouldnt do it to much.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl...hronic-fatigue

Or....
    You may get visited by a god:
    (insert image from Senko dealing with a workaholic -- from kitsune no senko san anime/manga)
    Only anime fans will get this joke.
    "Nothing wrong with overworking your staff, just dont do it too often" serious...?
    also you seriously going to use wildstar as the proof of a "passion project" the game that had tons of microtransactions and died even before its 5th aniversary?
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2019-05-09 at 05:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Azerite traits are like teir sets however far more of them, and far more options, there is 6 of them per spec, which is equal to three raid teirs, plus there is a fair few that are not teir based, more like trinket procs, azerite also allows you to choose many more options, instead of "oh hey here is my set i am gunna take it"

Azerite gear is literally teir gear 2.0 overall better, but its only annoyance was having to level them and not swapping with spec.
    which the level them is fixed in 8.2 or now if you have done any content
    and swapping with spec was not a thing for teir gear for quite awhile.
    Only thing it lacks is that we don't get class set visuals.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

7+ Year Old Account
    well, maybe if they work less they do less shit, who know

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    They create so much high-quality (no, you nor me not enjoying that content is not a deciding factor in quality) content, models, music, dungeons and everything, only to have it thrown away due to godawful, zero-patience reward structures and pacing that makes people become annoyed if they don't receive an incremental gear reward every 15 minutes of doing content they are literally designed into winning (Warfronts), or just rush through brainlessly (IEs). And getting to endgame, you just plow through all non-group content in a couple of afternoons.

I sure don't fault WoW devs, the one creating the art that is just going to be consumed by players within the first week of a new update to be overworked. I can only imagine how much time and work is put into creating a zone, or a new dungeon, only to see players consume that content within half an hour.
    I hope Blizzard makes certain to make anyone with Diablo 3 influences to get the hell off the game design part of WoW, because they are fucking it up royally.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2019-05-09 at 08:00 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Maybe they should work smarter and not harder. How many man-hours was spent coming up with that terrible BFA necklace and all the affixes? Or adjusting the abilities and rotations of every class to be boring this expansion? What a waste of time all of that was...

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I mean, what you said had nothing to do with how much work they put in. They made three separate CGI cinematics costing millions each, six detailed zones, two different faction-specific stories, more cutscenes than any expansion before, a host of new features (these islands don't make themselves no matter how boring they end up being), new gameplay elements (no Azerite isn't perfect at all, but it still exists), a bunch of new playable races, so on and so forth.

I'm not saying the result is great, mind you, but as I said earlier that does not mean no effort was put in the game. Is there as much stuff as in a Witcher 3 for example? Not at all, but expansions also retail for less than full games, and unlike the vast majority of games WoW gets big, regularly scheduled content updates over the course of an expansion's two years (paid for by subs, sure, but still). You can not like the design as much as you want, but that's not really part of the conversation on how many man-hours were put on the product.

One could easily argue that BfA doesn't put the effort at the right place, and I'd be very receptive to the idea myself. Warfronts should have been scrapped entirely and the man-hours spent on either more story quests or improving Islands, depending on what devs are freed up this way. Class design should have been given a higher priority as well. But "time not spent in the right place" isn't the same as "time that is non-existent" when we're talking in the context of how many hours/week Blizzard's employees work. You don't get more or less overworked if you're crafting the best or worst feature ever.
    I didnt say no work was put in. Im just saying it's nowhere near the same amount of work or creativity as an entirely new game. Most of the base game mechanics are already in place. A great deal of their work is copy/pasting existing assets and applying slight modifications.

Both in terms of groundwork and design a LOT of their foundation is already done. The amount of work required for a new expansion is nowhere near that required for a new game, and the amount of content provided isn't anywhere near a new game worth the same amount of money($50 + 15sub) outside of the distorted scale of the MMO genre.

BFA is bad because their ideas and feature are bad. Not because game quality is bad.

If you release system that is bad like Azerite Armor, you can't expect anything good to come out of it.

Nintendo doesn't crunch, has an average daily work schedule of sub 8 hours and makes some of the most polished games in the industry.(source https://www.businessinsider.com/nint...ditions-2019-3 )

You don't need to crunch to make quality products, you just need to sit on them and polish them instead of trying to release them at the earliest possible time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Nintendo doesn't crunch, has an average daily work schedule of sub 8 hours and makes some of the most polished games in the industry.(source https://www.businessinsider.com/nint...ditions-2019-3 )

You don't need to crunch to make quality products, you just need to sit on them and polish them instead of trying to release them at the earliest possible time.
    Doesn't Nintendo have most of their games with same art year after year? and by art I mean its the same Marios and Pokemons with couple additions all over most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    Doesn't Nintendo have most of their games with same art year after year? and by art I mean its the same Marios and Pokemons with couple additions all over most of the time.
    Nintendo doesn't even make pokemon so might want to google before you try more low quality bait replies like this. Please show me all the "art" they re-used between Super Mario 3D World(which came out in 2013) and Super Mario Odyssey(which came out in 2017). Literally nothing was re-used, nor is Mario even close to a yearly release.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDaemon View Post
    BFA is bad because their ideas and feature are bad. Not because game quality is bad.

If you release system that is bad like Azerite Armor, you can't expect anything good to come out of it.
    Exactly.

They've sacrificed quality for quantity, taken core day 1 features and gated them to add "content" and the Azerite system is just a worse version of artifacts.

The core quality of WoW is mostly there. Just not in BFA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    "The WOW team ships a major paid expansion, equivalent to a new game release.."

I almost stopped reading here. Are you kidding me? Each expansion isn't a new game. Expansions like WoD and BfA are hardly even adding anything new, and in some respects actually REMOVE things.

This entire article and series of quotes just comes across as a PR stunt, trying to take advantage of the controversial hot topic in the industry right now. While simultaneously trying to explain their blatant content gating to boost MAUs and subscriptions.

Does anyone actually believe this line of bullshit? I genuinely feel bad for passionate game developers on the line, but I have no sympathy for spins like this. Companies like Blizzard need to just stop being such soulless bastards at the leadership level.
    Won't happen while Activision are basically pulling their strings.

Again "record quarter" for the company and fires 800 employees across the board just so they can bring 20% more devs on to push the mobile garbage that Blizzard are working on because Activision told them to chase the dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDaemon View Post

I don't get it. Aren't ideas and features part of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Thank you so much! yes indeed the game will be successful when the main goal is = making a good game and enjoyable

The moment the company lose = the moment they focus on making money instead of making good quality game

Pretty simple tbh I don't get why so many people or companies don't get it... I guess greed is a famous trait of humans after all.
    Found your own company and soon you will find out why. Competition is a bitch and bills keep coming every month.

Whatever it is, I hope they do whatever it takes to appease the workers and improve the quality of the game.

BfA is utter trash in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    Whatever it is, I hope they do whatever it takes to appease the workers and improve the quality of the game.

The way the company is looking financially right now, and for the year , I would not expect the workers to be putting too much of themselves into their product. ATVI is looking really bad right now
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

my main and alts are enjoy the forges and lfr ftw!

Aye.

Blizzard seriously need to get their backside in gear and start being a company for the players again.

At least the article understands that most workers lose efficiency past 8 - 10 hours. I wish more companies did, because cycling individuals is MUCH more effective than having them work 12 - 16 hours instead. But regardless you sometimes can't have that and it's a bigger pain in the ass to do so, and many companies would rather have people work overtime it seems. Every worker should be allowed to leave after 8 hours at almost any job.

You can spend a thousand hours polishing a turd, in the end it's still a turd....

When they decide to work on content that is actually good instead of working thousands and thousands of hours on something that is pure crap, it's going to be different.