Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Important feature...

I plan to buy the latest Surface Book when WoW Classic is launched.

However: I want one important feature that is crucial to the survival of WoW classic: linked servers, so the world will be always populated, be that with 5k players or 500k players...

So, is that the case?

If yes, I am in again like I was 13 years ago in a big way...

WoW Classic will only be WoW Classic. The only, only, only exceptions are critical bug fixes and realm sharding for the first few weeks to handle the influx of players and then it will be removed when the population stabilizes.

5+ Year Old Account
    When they linked servers they destroyed the sense of community, the destroyed any reason to behave in a civilised way when grouping with others. I can't wait to for classic and going back to individual servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    What relevance is the surface book to linked server? Why are linked servers crucial or even related to survival?

I have more questions...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post

However: I want one important feature that is crucial to the survival of WoW classic: linked servers, so the world will be always populated, be that with 5k players or 500k players...

So, is that the case?

There will be sharding the "first few weeks" according to Blizzard..

And 500K players?? LOL
    That will NEVER EVER happen.. It will most likely never break 100K (not online, as that will be significantly lower) total players.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    That will NEVER EVER happen.. It will most likely never break 100K (not online, as that will be significantly lower) total players.
    there've private servers with 15k conurrent users , no way classic wont attract 100k+ concurrent first few days

This important feature you want would, in fact, torpedo the entire project and kill the server health you so desperately want. There is absolutely no reason to want to play WoW Classic with linked servers.

I mean... when Blizzard was still doing everything they could to avoid making Classic, their main idea they floated to appease the masses was "pristine servers" which are basically currently WoW without cross-server functionality... Why? Because server community is one of, if not the biggest, reasons to even do classic... lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Violetti View Post
    there've private servers with 15k conurrent users , no way classic wont attract 100k+ concurrent first few days
    You cannot compare Classic to Private.

Classic had a limit of max 1000 users online. It was raised to 2000 in TBC.. Now we have 6-7000 concurrent users online on retail. It will never be 15.000 on one server. And (among other things) because of small servers, many people will be discouraged from playing.
    Also, did you notice how many people who tried the Classic Demo during BlizzCon?
    The majority hated it... It was miles and miles from what they thought or remembered it to be.

I stand by what I wrote: Less than 100K will play Classic. 10k MAYBE 20K concurrent.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

So, is that the case?

If you are asking for that you didn't play Vanilla for sure.

There will be sharding the "first few weeks" according to Blizzard..

And 500K players?? LOL
    wow people like you are very much out of the loop... nostalrius had over 800k people signed up and play at one time or another and over 150k active in it's final month. that was a private server where you had to find a link to download the old game on your your own, the experience wasn't from blizzard, had many bugs, coded by amateurs, on crappy hardware in the EU, everything was obviously temporary, and you could almost guarantee some shady stuff was going on behind the scenes. and even with all those problems and more their number was 800k+ total.

i say that to set you up for this shocker. classic wow will have more than 4 million people playing it in the first month. feel free to doubt it all you want, but you are way out of the loop with how big this thing is going to be. it will break that 100k mark you set in viewers alone on twitch from people who are watching a stream while also playing... wow, just wow, i actually can't wait for you to see how big this game is going to be. if im feeling like a dick i'll come back and talk with you a bit more here after the release. lol 100k, great joke!

- - - Updated - - -

but back to the main topic, no, servers in classic weren't shared and it's MUCH better that way. you have a community on your server and you will learn who the other players are on both factions. sharding and phasing are both terrible for an mmo and if you don't like that then you never played vanilla and experienced it, because it was unquestionably better. sharding might be a thing in starting zones or at the launch, but that won't be sharding with mixed servers, it would be sharding with people on your server to make quests easier to complete and lessen the server load. im not a huge fan of this but im not going to cry about it unless it's ever a thing outside of the first few days or the starting zones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SOFTNUT View Post
    wow people like you are very much out of the loop... nostalrius had over 800k people signed up and play at one time or another and over 150k active in it's final month. that was a private server where you had to find a link to download the old game on your your own, the experience wasn't from blizzard, had many bugs, coded by amateurs, on crappy hardware in the EU, everything was obviously temporary, and you could almost guarantee some shady stuff was going on behind the scenes. and even with all those problems and more their number was 800k+ total.

i say that to set you up for this shocker. classic wow will have more than 4 million people playing it in the first month. feel free to doubt it all you want, but you are way out of the loop with how big this thing is going to be. it will break that 100k mark you set in viewers alone on twitch from people who are watching a stream while also playing... wow, just wow, i actually can't wait for you to see how big this game is going to be. if im feeling like a dick i'll come back and talk with you a bit more here after the release. lol 100k, great joke!
    Lol.. Totally u realistic, and YOU TOO compare Private to Classic. It is just not possible.

BfA is at an estimated 1,8M..

There is no way in hell, a 15 years old game will have more than twice that number.

Classic caters to a very small group... Some will "take a look" and log in 1-10 times, but very very few will ever reach level 60.

Lol.. Totally u realistic, and YOU TOO compare Private to Classic. It is just not possible.

There is no way in hell, a 15 years old game will have more than twice that number.

Classic caters to a very small group... Some will "take a look" and log in 1-10 times, but very very few will ever reach level 60.
    How many people do you think quit WoW over the years because they dislike the current iteration of the game? There's millions upon millions of potential customers. I'm not saying it's going to be more popular than retail atm, but 100k is but a petty estimate from a hater or probably just a fool

Quote Originally Posted by SOFTNUT View Post

- - - Updated - - -

but back to the main topic, no, servers in classic weren't shared and it's MUCH better that way. you have a community on your server and you will learn who the other players are on both factions. sharding and phasing are both terrible for an mmo and if you don't like that then you never played vanilla and experienced it, because it was unquestionably better. sharding might be a thing in starting zones or at the launch, but that won't be sharding with mixed servers, it would be sharding with people on your server to make quests easier to complete and lessen the server load. im not a huge fan of this but im not going to cry about it unless it's ever a thing outside of the first few days or the starting zones.
    4m people playing classic lmao

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    How many people do you think quit WoW over the years because they dislike the current iteration of the game? There's millions upon millions of potential customers. I'm not saying it's going to be more popular than retail atm, but 100k is but a petty estimate from a hater or probably just a fool
    People that have quite the game, will most likely not come back for any reason; Classic, v9.0 or anything else.

Most people quit, because they grow out of the game, e.g. because of family issues.

People that have quite the game, will most likely not come back for any reason; Classic, v9.0 or anything else.

Most people quit, because they grow out of the game, e.g. because of family issues.
    I see, you speak for the masses. Foolish of me to argue against such authority.

Family issues, such a deep analysis, just brilliant
    Last edited by tikcol; 2019-05-09 at 12:01 PM.

*Anecdotal evidence warning*

Myself & a group of friends quit a few years back not from a desire to move on or a dislike for WoW but simply from not being happy with the direction they were taking the game in, we're all intending to come back to re-play classic since it offers a philosophical take on Warcraft that the retail version has deviated from over the years.

I'm not expecting individuals as described above being in the millions but I wouldn't underestimate this sentiment amongst those who have quit and are re-subbing purely for classic.

They said there wont ever be cross realm grouping. I believe them. It goes against the core of vanilla. Your realm was a small community where you knew everyone. I hope they keep the concurrent player caps roughly the same as it was back then.

It's the only aspect of WOW I have any interest at all playing. Ill be one of the few to reach lvl 60.

So, is that the case?

Linked servers won't happen.