Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    You have to consider that something like 40% of the US population believes that the earth (and the universe, for that matter) is less than 10,000 years old...so no amount of statistics about abortion rates and timing is likely to change their dogmatic beliefs about the "irresponsible sluts who just want to murder their babies."
    I mean do they not have women in their lives, especially women who have had children before? I think if you put two and two together it becomes pretty obvious that pregnancy is pretty shitty and all that. It's like these men just never stop and think about what pregnancy is even like for women or know nothing about it or don't even bother to learn anything about what it is like. But of course they have an opinion about what women should be able to do with their bodies despite not even bothering to learn anything about women's bodies, pregnancy, etc.

But honestly I'm not surprised, especially considering before I linked that Ohio representative who thinks you can fix an ectopic pregnancy by just moving the egg back into the uterus when that's not scientifically possible lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    I mean do they not have women in their lives, especially women who have had children before?
    Thing is, "the women in their lives" believe a lot of the same things that they do, for the same religious reasons. There is also the possibility/probability that people writing and supporting laws like this are in a position to have to never deal with the the consequences and realities of unwanted pregnancies...because they are either wealthy (or devoted) enough to deal with having a dozen children running around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    if a murderer kills you and your fetus, I am quite sure it counts in a lot of areas, since we're talking the US:

I fail to see how the "pro life" crowd' efforts to ram abortion bans in through backdoor is relevant to this discussion.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I fail to see how the "pro life" crowd' efforts to ram abortion bans in through backdoor is relevant to this discussion.
    They aren't pro life, they are pro birth. They could give a crap once the baby is born

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    They aren't pro life, they are pro birth. They could give a crap once the baby is born
    Hence the quotation marks.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    is male masturbabting like a genocide?
    By the way some of these people define personhood . . . yes.
    Putin khuliyo

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    How is a woman fighting against her own interests if they support republican party?
    Similar to how is a Jewish person fighting against their own interests if they support white nationalism? Example: Stephen Miller

They don't have to care for it, they can put it up for adoption if they don't want it.
    I love this line of thinking, like having even more kids without parents will help in any way and adoption centers have unlimited space. I guarantee you that in five years of abortion being illegal thousands of them will die due to lack of money. Of course the only way to do so is more taxes, but hey if that's what you want.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

15+ Year Old Account
    The government should be there to help people who struggle to provide for their family.
    Do the US strike you as a country caring for the people struggling to put food on the table or pay medical bills?

5+ Year Old Account
    Lmao, as if being a woman means I should have specific opinions.
    It's not an opinion that you'll have more choices being pro-choice. That's a fact. If I said my car was red and it actually is painted red then that would also not be an opinion.

99 years in prison....

You can rape someone and get sentenced for less.

So if someone rapes a women and she get's pregnant he could get a lighter sentence then the women who got raped and aborts the pregnancy.

Wow republicans, very classy!
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2019-05-10 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    They're not pro-birth. They're pro-"bare feet and pregnant".

If they were pro-birth, they would actually try to do something about the US's dismal maternal and infant death rates.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    As a medic, I find your stance as mind boggling. Is it a religious thing? To clarify, I'm not super-progressive about this and most definitely late term abortions should not be something done at will, but to remove them from legal healthcare would be catastrophic for women. And you are one, yeah?

Insert mind being blown gif.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerri_Santoro

A reminder on why Roe v Wade happened. And yes the article is fucking horrifying. Click at your own risk.

The amount of apparent callous disregard for life in this thread is disgusting. If you actually want to engage in a discussion on the topic, maybe you shouldn’t start with the premise that we’re not discussing human life. Because we are. You don’t magically turn into a human after you pop out of the womb, you were human the whole time. This is unassailable. Period. A right to abortion (if such a thing can morally exist) is not like a right to work or education or even to go to Denny’s. Calling someone backward or a misogynist because they acknowledge this fact is just attempting to skirt the issue.

An abortion is ending a human life. Don’t @ me.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    The amount of apparent callous disregard for life in this thread is disgusting. If you actually want to engage in a discussion on the topic, maybe you shouldn’t start with the premise that we’re not discussing human life. Because we are. You don’t magically turn into a human after you pop out of the womb, you were human the whole time. This is unassailable. Period. A right to abortion (if such a thing can morally exist) is not like a right to work or education or even to go to Denny’s. Calling someone backward or a misogynist because they acknowledge this fact is just attempting to skirt the issue.

An abortion is ending a human life. Don’t @ me.
    Explain why an embryo is human life while sperm is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    Explain why an embryo is human life while sperm is not.
    Because an embryo contains the full genetic makeup of a human. A sperm does not. Nor does an egg for that matter.

Next.

Edit: I have a question for you. How is it we can prosecute someone for murder for causing the death of a fetus but not if it’s an abortion? Food for thought.
    Last edited by D3thray; 2019-05-10 at 02:11 PM.

Because an embryo contains the full genetic makeup of a human. A sperm does not. Nor does an egg for that matter.

Next.
    So sperm and egg are half a human then?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    So sperm and egg are half a human then?
    If you want to look at it that way. Neither will develop further on their own.

15+ Year Old Account
    Edit: I have a question for you. How is it we can prosecute someone for murder for causing the death of a fetus but not if it’s an abortion? Food for thought.
    Bodily autonomy, same reason why we can't prosecute someone for not donating organs.

- - - Updated - - -

A fetus will also not develop further on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    and neither will an embryo outside the uterus of a woman.

How is a woman fighting against her own interests if they support republican party?
    Because Republicans didn't just make it their mission to take women's reproductive rights, but access to all form of reproductive care (this includes regular medical checkups and cancer screenings which are provided by Planed Parenthood) and family planning.

Whether you have children or not, how many, and when, impact the lives, careers, and health of women to a much greater extent than for men.

And if you happen to chose having children, no paid parental leave, no labor protections, no funding for schooling etc.

The GOP made it their mission to make both motherhood and not becoming a mother as difficult and painful as possible. If you are a woman, no matter what you chose, you are basically fucked in Republican Town.