Poll: Which do you prefer?

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I vastly preferred the TBC model over WQs, the MoP version was alright too. WQs made rep factions extremely boring.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

7+ Year Old Account

Question

Quote Originally Posted by BHD View Post
    I vastly preferred the TBC model over WQs, the MoP version was alright too. WQs made rep factions extremely boring.
    Mostly like this ^

...but I don't really see much difference here, except fact that, for example, world quests (well, or what preceded them in WoD) were taking and giving back mainly to "yourself" or "talking head from screen's bottom" (correct me if there is direct essential distinguishing feature, I'll be grateful) what is frank undisguised idiocy both from RP aspect point of view and logic in principle. Although I have repeatedly written about my attitude to this all.

Can I choose "world dailies" wording?

---Edit---
    Apparently, people are talking about disproportionate rewards, this is certainly not good, especially considering that devs continue to create garbage with all-time raised ilvl bar and scaling/"forge" reward/world with you together with "paragon RNG system" (which makes them alike to achievements' problem, has disturbing factor; however, if talking about quote, I don't see direct problem in their fair amount, it's just you need to set your priorities right, which is good learning practice), but I already criticized it and this technically isn't directly part of similar quests' design. It's clear, of course, that it's more appropriate to replace in this case "material" rewards with certain currency, for which you can purchase items from respective vendors, whose products can be replenished over time, since described above systems are illogical in terms of game world design, artificial, unreasonable, but only it's look like that devs apparently doesn't consider it as significant disadvantage.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-05-14 at 05:29 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    You level from somethinglevel to 120. You will have approx. 20-25 k gold. You buy "low" level crafted and boe items. Then your WQs are scaled up. Tadamm. Don't pretend it's hard to gear up. Now gear up for WHAT? Yes, that's an excellent question. For normals at least. How long was gearing up for normals in MoP in the first 2 patches? In Cata - first 2 patches? Etc. Maybe in WoD even. Not days.
    Yes, in Cata when DS came out everyone and their mother bought full crafted 377 PvP blue gear and then you spammed the 3 Caverns of Time dungeons and LFR and that was it. In the last patch of the expansion.
    Remember when fast gearing up was spamming bgs for honor gear?
    I'm not saying the game should be hard or anything like that. But WQs give crazy amount of epics just to keep people occupied. Or rather the illusion of it. It's too much. Even a blind man can see it.
    And this is why we don't have normal factions. Because ilevels scale up from time to time so "no need" to add new factions, new zones/hubs with new ilevel gear rewards. It sucks.

I have never seen someone calling someone else a spoiled child because the supposed spoiled child wants "harder" rewards. Are yousure you know what you're talking about?

Edit: btw my "hobby" is dog and animal training in general and if you would just dip your toes into it you could see how you are literally trained to do stuff nowadays in wow. And I don't mean that knowing this, you can't enjoy the game anymore. Games are for fun, tools are necessary to keep people engaged. But devs usually hide it well with imemrsion and gameplay fun. Which is not the case anymore, not with these world quests and the garrison mission table back then.
    You've got very bad priorities in a game when you are salty about how other people acquire their gear.
    I don't know what you are talking about. I was normal raid ready in cata in max 2 weeks. It was never hard to be on that level.

Fast gearing up for honor gear? Another vanilla fanboy detected. Leave your 12 years old fantasies behind.

I'm done arguing the likes of you.
    Here's a proposition: If you manage to get 380+ ilvl by only doing wq's and emissaries in 2 weeks, i'll pay you for 30-day game time.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Classic didn't have dailies. Once you did the one-time quests there were no more to do, unless you liked turning in runecloth. We had the Skettis and Ogri'la once we could fly in BC, then the Netherwing once we unlocked fast flying, and we could only do a grand total of 10 of them per day. Then last patch of BC added the Isle of Quel'danas, about a dozen quests there and in Outland, and raised the cap to 25 a day where it remained until MoP.
    Yeah I know, I was there. Meant how quests are done in WoW, not only dailies and WQs. Thats what dailies and world quests are, just normal quests named something else.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Look at it this way. In the old world the quest might be: kill 10 trolls, smash 10 of their pots, kill 5 of them crawgs, and kill 2 named trolls. And all the pots are smashed by other players and none are up or guarded by tons of mobs so you have to wait or kill way more than you need to get to the pots. In the new system you're free to smash and kill anything and everything you see and you'll be done likely sooner than you would've been under the old way.
    You would have 3-4 daily done by that point in your exemple while % count as one, and WQ that ask you to kill 1 guy are normally tag as rare and give you twice the reward so the effort / reward ratio is just not good. But it's my only issue about WQ, I orefer them over daily even with that.
    MMO-Champion, once the place to get WoW News, now the home of the haters and their clickbait and doomsaying threads

Quote Originally Posted by Zequill View Post
    You would have 3-4 daily done by that point in your exemple while % count as one, and WQ that ask you to kill 1 guy are normally tag as rare and give you twice the reward so the effort / reward ratio is just not good. But it's my only issue about WQ, I orefer them over daily even with that.
    You seem to have completely missed my point. All that stuff I listed, the kills, the smashings, was all for one quest. In the old days you'd have to do exactly those things to complete the quest, so if the mobs were farmed or the items were smashed you'd have to just sit there and wait for them to repop. Whereas in the new system everything you do in the area counts towards progression. No more "I gotta gather 10 flowers but they've all been picked, gotta sit here and wait for more."

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    You should do some World Quests before comparing them. Everything you listed here is compareable to some of the World Quests we have now.

Same shit, different story. In todays story you can choose among a greater variety than back in the day. You love classic don't you? And I mean that in a good way. Kill X and loot Y. It's the theme of vanilla WoW. Hey, it's the theme of WoW, 2004-2019. Nothing has really changed :P
    There are some similarities... but in dailies... you couldn't go and simply tag mobs other people are fighting and get credit. You couldn't skip killing the mobs entirely and just fill up your bar collecting the pickup items. And most importantly... there was a point you were FINISHED. You reached the reputation level your character needed... be that honored, revered, or exalted.

Then you were DONE. You no longer had to repeat them ad nauseam throughout the entire expansion. It's called progression. Checking things off your list and adding new things. Today's WoW starts with WQs and ends with WQs.

Dailies connected with the game, the storyline, and had sense of purpose. WQs feel disjointed, disconnected, even ones from the same faction often did not feel like I was progressing the story or my character. That was Legion.. maybe htey improved them in BfA but I highly doubt it.

Both are just a bad way to expand content and drag out a sub.

Real passionate devs would just have quests leading into quests, and long quest lines that lead into awesome rewards. Epic quests maybe 100 quests long.

Nothing is less interesting than dailies, or WQ. It's content designed by people incapable of real content, designed for addicts.

Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    What you also forgot to post (and I forgot to mention in last post) is unlike WQ, Sons of Hodir rep didn't require doing those quests at all. In BfA there is no other option than doing WQs. In WoTLK there was option to collect relics in dungeons and from mobs, then hand them over for reputation. So in WoTLK you had a choice of not doing them and you weren't time gated. Now there is no choice if you want rep.

Also entire thing you've posted is irrelevant. Quests are quests. In WoTLK some quests sucked, in BfA some quests suck. Doesn't matter if they are named "daily" or "world", its same quest mechanic. Quest mechanics have evolved and that's completely unrelated to quests being dailies or WQ. WQ is just nicer interface for dailies, its not new type of quests and it doesn't magically make quests different.
    Yes there were alternate ways to earn reputation... don't forget tabard rep too when it was added! But again, you did everything to get your reputation... it was important. Now it's not. Then, once you earned your reputation... you could STOP... you achieved your goal, experienced the content more than enough, and could move on.

Now, you don't... while there are new WQs added, you still have all the same old ones pop up to do... and because they scale the iLevel... you never are finished with them. Dailies, once you got your rep... were done unless you used them for earning gold. CHOICE. Now WQs are the open world endgame... ever shifting rewards to make you play the SAME content you have played since release.

No thank you. When you think about it... who benefits from increasing iLevel for the rewards of WQ? The lpkayer who is sick and tired of doing the same thing for 2 years? Or the developers who can get by with creating less content?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    There are some similarities... but in dailies... you couldn't go and simply tag mobs other people are fighting and get credit. You couldn't skip killing the mobs entirely and just fill up your bar collecting the pickup items. And most importantly... there was a point you were FINISHED. You reached the reputation level your character needed... be that honored, revered, or exalted.
    Because shared tagging didn't exist for much of dailies. You could group up and share kill credit. You could skip mobs entirely on collect portions of the quest if those mobs were cleared by someone else or if your server was populated enough to keep it clear (before the spawn changes to boost based on activity in area). There is a point where you are finished with World quests. When you did enough for the daily emissary, or you choose to be done. If you are not interested in the emissary rewards you don't have to do World Quests if you don't want to.

You can check them off the list if you want to. People still repeated dailies for the gold even after hitting required reps. Just as people now stop doing World Quests when they have maxed out the associated reps.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Because shared tagging didn't exist for much of dailies. You could group up and share kill credit. You could skip mobs entirely on collect portions of the quest if those mobs were cleared by someone else or if your server was populated enough to keep it clear (before the spawn changes to boost based on activity in area). There is a point where you are finished with World quests. When you did enough for the daily emissary, or you choose to be done. If you are not interested in the emissary rewards you don't have to do World Quests if you don't want to.

You can check them off the list if you want to. People still repeated dailies for the gold even after hitting required reps. Just as people now stop doing World Quests when they have maxed out the associated reps.
    You are really reaching now to "make them the same".

WQs are never done because they increase the ilevel available via them.

Yes there are similarities... but they are entirely different as content, reward devices, and immersive activities.

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    You've got very bad priorities in a game when you are salty about how other people acquire their gear.
    I don't know what you are talking about. I was normal raid ready in cata in max 2 weeks. It was never hard to be on that level.

Fast gearing up for honor gear? Another vanilla fanboy detected. Leave your 12 years old fantasies behind.

I'm done arguing the likes of you.
    Here's a proposition: If you manage to get 380+ ilvl by only doing wq's and emissaries in 2 weeks, i'll pay you for 30-day game time.
    You are wrong on so many levels it almost hurts to read.
    I didn't play in vanilla. I'm not really fond of vanilla, and I don't really care about classic either. I don't even care about LFR, in fact I liked them in Cata/MoP. "The likes of you." I don't care about what gear anyone else has. I care about how EVERYONE in the game gains "epics" way too fast, including me. I care about the pace of the game. Ilevel inflation, ilevel scaling. The psychology behind wqs and how it ruins the game. That is what I care about.
    You can't see clearly from your "vanilla lovers bias".
    Honor gear was very much a thing even in cata as quick gearing, because all other source of gear was limited behind daily activity. While today you can wait for 2 resets of wqs/day to hope for good ilevel gear pieces, that was NOT a thing before Legion.
    Last edited by Lei; 2019-05-10 at 03:25 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    WQs are never done because they increase the ilevel available via them.
    It still caps out. You are more likely to not get an upgrade from a WQ at a certain point. You rely just on the emissary. It is still optional because you don't need to keep pushing gear from world quests and emissaries. Just as you didn't have to do the daily quest cap each day if you didn't want to. But many did even after they were exalted because it was a source of gold at the time.

They are only entirely different because it wouldn't fit your narrative to admit that they are the same. The only difference between the two is that one you have to pick up from an NPC and the other you don't.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It still caps out. You are more likely to not get an upgrade from a WQ at a certain point. You rely just on the emissary. It is still optional because you don't need to keep pushing gear from world quests and emissaries. Just as you didn't have to do the daily quest cap each day if you didn't want to. But many did even after they were exalted because it was a source of gold at the time.

They are only entirely different because it wouldn't fit your narrative to admit that they are the same. The only difference between the two is that one you have to pick up from an NPC and the other you don't.
    On the face they work the same. In the sense you complete "tasks" to get stuff. Everything else surrounded by them from immersion to badly affecting surrounding game systems is different and it's bad. in this thread everyone only cares about "wat, you go out, you kill dudes, and get stuff = same". People here are trying repeatedly explain how they are different behind the face of it, but people like you are still stuck on "kill dudes -> get stuff = same" .
    Last edited by Lei; 2019-05-10 at 03:39 PM.

You are wrong on so many levels it almost hurts to read.
    I didn't play in vanilla. I'm not really fond of vanilla, and I don't really care about classic either. I don't even care about LFR, in fact I liked them in Cata/MoP. "The likes of you." I don't care about what gear anyone else has. I care about how EVERYONE in the game gains "epics" way too fast, including me. I care about the pace of the game. Ilevel inflation, ilevel scaling. The psychology behind wqs and how it ruins the game. That is what I care about.
    You can't see clearly from your "vanilla lovers bias".
    Honor gear was very much a thing even in cata as quick gearing, because all other source of gear was limited behind daily activity. While today you can wait for 2 resets of wqs/day to hope for good ilevel gear pieces, that was NOT a thing before Legion.
    Offer still stands. Make it to 380+ in whatever time frame u want using only wq+emissary. If you manage I will be surprised.
    All you do is theoritical whining, try doing what you claim. Then you'll see how wrong you are.

Then you were DONE. You no longer had to repeat them ad nauseam throughout the entire expansion. It's called progression. Checking things off your list and adding new things. Today's WoW starts with WQs and ends with WQs.

Dailies connected with the game, the storyline, and had sense of purpose. WQs feel disjointed, disconnected, even ones from the same faction often did not feel like I was progressing the story or my character. That was Legion.. maybe htey improved them in BfA but I highly doubt it.
    You don't have to do more World Quests after you are finished with getting exalted with world quests either if it's just rep you want. You are finished getting to exalted if that's what you see as finished. Just now you got the OPTION to do them for some junk items and gold, there is no NEED to do them anymore. The emissary and emissary reward is something dailies could have had to. It's just a development in the daily quest system. They could go back to good ol dailies and add an emissary reward for it. You can check rep off if you are doing it to get to exalted. Having the option to get more gold or some pet you can buy from the AH for 100g or some toy is just a carrot for those who wants to do more World Quest. But that have nothing to do with the World Quest or Daily Quest system.

Same for the idea that someone can tag or not tag mobs doesn't have anything to do with world quest or dailies. That's a game design change. Basically there is no difference in how a World Quest or a Daily Quest work. You kill X, loot Y then the daily or world quest is done.

I can see the idea about Dailies being a bit more relevant to a zone, or something like Throne of Thunder, Isle of Quel'danas. Quel'danas was awesome. That was good progression, and I guess you like that sort of a system better? I can get that. World Quest were made in Legion as a system for people to see the whole zone, more choices on what quests and give more of a variety on what quests you want to do. If you hate to kill 20 mobs, you can go and jump on the grapes to make wine instead(7 times in a row lol). It's the only change really.
    Last edited by Doffen; 2019-05-10 at 04:45 PM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    why not both?

no seriously, why not add reputations that are just extra-story? I find it cool what they've done with reputations, but you're not even working towards exalted as doing WQ and emissaries award a lot of AP!
    Let's have some reputations that are just there for a single purpose like before, don't need for all reputations to be like this, just a few of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Why not both? I don't mind either. Would be fine to switch them out once in a while.
    Yes, thank you! Both, please. Having the option to go to a hub and pick up some quests, or run around the world and do them, would be so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Yes, thank you! Both, please. Having the option to go to a hub and pick up some quests, or run around the world and do them, would be so much better.
    Totally agree. an MMO shouldn't have content removed... just keep adding!

Dailies every time

Totally agree. an MMO shouldn't have content removed... just keep adding!
    except in the context of daily quest and world quest, nothing was removed. Because they're the same thing just a different name.

- - - Updated - - -

On the face they work the same. In the sense you complete "tasks" to get stuff. Everything else surrounded by them from immersion to badly affecting surrounding game systems is different and it's bad. in this thread everyone only cares about "wat, you go out, you kill dudes, and get stuff = same". People here are trying repeatedly explain how they are different behind the face of it, but people like you are still stuck on "kill dudes -> get stuff = same" .
    Ok how are they different in functionality? Is it story? Daily quest have as much story as world quests. Dailies are reminiscent of the leveling quests? So are World Quests. Prime examples are Make Loh Go and even the Azerite Quests. As Horde, Make Loh Go was an introductory quest that you got down at the tortollian area of Dazalor. The very FIRST thing you do with the Heart of Azeroth is to collect azerite nodes. WHenever you 'start' a world quest, you have a talking head dialog show up with about as much relevant "quest text" as dailies. Regarding narrative they're the same, functionality, they're the same. The ONLY difference is how to start them. They even have the same detached immersion so I don't even understand that argument. Daily quests with the argent tournament having to go find some magical mcguffin weapon, Taanan jungle dailies, hell the Hodir dailies that were talked about earlier in the thread are a prime example!
    Last edited by Multitorix Davlen; 2019-05-10 at 07:49 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.