Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Game of Thrones meme explains BfA perfectly (spoilers)

In the latest episode of Game of Thrones a main character suffered catastrophic losses after seemingly committing a major military blunder that could've been easily avoided. The showrunners David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (D&D) justified the bizarre narrative choice by saying:

While Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet and Euron's forces, they certainly haven't forgotten about her, and they are just waiting for her to come back.
    Unfortunately it seems like WoW characters keep "kinda forgetting" things too.

• Sylvanas kind of forgot about her reason for the War of Thorns
    • Saurfang kind of forgot why killing Malfurion was essential to the plan that he himself had made
    • Anduin kind of forgot to bring gas masks to the Siege of Lordaeron
    • The Zandalari kind of forgot to do routine maintenance on their ships and find the bombs
    • Tyrande kind of forgot that she received a major power-up and could've easily killed Nathanos
    • Night Elf "Dark Rangers" kind of forgot that it was the Horde that killed them
    • Sylvanas kind of forgot to explain her true objective to her inner circle
    • Baine kind of forgot that Mak'gora is the legitimate institute for challenging the Warchief
    • Sylvanas kind of forgot that free will is the cornerstone of Forsaken society
    • The player character kind of forgot that doing the Old Gods' bidding is a terrible idea

Good thing we have Steve "Dan"user and "Dave" Kosak as our own version of D&D a.k.a. Dumb & Dumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Good thing we have Steve "Dan"user and "Dave" Kosak as our own version of D&D a.k.a. Dumb & Dumber.
    Kosak works on Hearthstone as far as i know.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    D,D&D

Christie should join them as the Dumbest.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

I dunno. They're both awfully written, I'll give you that.

I think BfA is written by people Fan-girling their Warchief with no real care for the other characters (apart from Nathanos obviously). Seriously though, what personality or development does ANYone else even have these days in this game?

GoT, like TLJ, is written by people who want to desperately "subvert expectations", even if it flies in the face of all development, character arcs and foreshadowing. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Jon accidentally fell down a flight of stairs and died mid-episode. The writers would be like "omg I bet NOBODY was expecting that. we're so edgy, we're blowing peoples minds.."

The coffee cup probably wasn't an accident. "You know what nobody would expect... THEM DRINKING STARBUCKS!!! OMG mind blown. Expectations subverted!".
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2019-05-10 at 09:03 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Find it funny you're trying to make fun of x when you're not even aware Kosak hasn't been on the WoW team for quite a while now.

At this stage I think you can genuinely make a convincing argument that Warcraft is better written. At the very least the Burning of Teldrassil beats the Burning of the Sept. And let's not even get into the tactical retardation of the past two episodes.

@rogueMatthias

I've never understood this argument. Sylvanas has a total of ten minutes of screen time, maybe less, in the entire expansion up to this point. She's less irrelevant in terms of screentime than characters like Saurfang or Thrall, but Baine has more screen time and Talanji dwarfs her. Let alone Jaina and her eight cinematics. Sylvanas is more of a hamhanded plot device than a character and the story doesn't explore her in the slightest.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Dave Kosak is George RR Martin compared to WoW's current writing team. At this point we might as well get Richard A. Knack on the team as well, because for whatever faults that he had as a writer he at least could write coherent and well-thought out stories.

Imagine if after all the build-up, N'zoth is just killed in 8.3 by Shaw, with no plot twist whatsoever. That would certainly subvert my expectations like episode 3 did.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

If the latest GoT writers wrote WoW, we would deal with N'Zoth in 8.2 and Azshara in 8.3

This expansion must be hilarious for Horde players. Imagine stopping Sargeras at the end of the last expansion, only to fight a boy-king in the next one.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Dave Kosak is George RR Martin compared to WoW's current writing team. At this point we might as well get Richard A. Knack on the team as well, because for whatever faults that he had as a writer he at least could write coherent and well-thought out stories.
    Knaak or however it's spelled wrote alright stories, I never understood the enormous hate that they got.

People often forget that Warcraft at it's core is a very, very silly and one-dimensional story (Arthas being the only exception). You can't expect a writer to turn this in to another ASOIAF or I don't know, The First Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    This expansion must be hilarious for Horde players. Imagine stopping Sargeras at the end of the last expansion, only to fight a boy-king in the next one.
    Unless boy king will stop serving on master's table. He is Golden's golden child.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Knaak or however it's spelled wrote alright stories, I never understood the enormous hate that they got.
    His stories are logical and coherent, of course. The problem is that he likes to make main characters too powerful and he exaggerrates everything to make battles more epic. While the story is still cohesive, it causes problem for future writers. Malfurion is so powerful that his very presence makes plotholes everywhere around Sylvanas who somehow manages to destroy Teldrassil anyway.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium

People often forget that Warcraft at it's core is a very, very silly and one-dimensional story (Arthas being the only exception). You can't expect a writer to turn this in to another ASOIAF or I don't know, The First Law.
    Knaak writes decent action and can weave an alright tale, his weakest ability is in his characterization (both of his own creations and existing characters within WoW canon). He's created some pretty wretched characters in his time. But I agree, I often feel like he's an easy heat-sink much in the way that Golden has become in recent days.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

He's the grandpapa of human potential on top of what @matrix123mko and @Aucald have already said. He took the formative storyline of the night elves, the thing that defines their entire empire and suborned it to his time-traveling self-insert character who taught Illidan how to use magic. Other standouts include Rhonin's raptor army and that guy who could go in and out of the emerald dream at will despite being human.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

I can't believe how low has falled the big guys like GoT, I think the guys at charge took very literally the name of the first book. WoW has fallen from comic/silly web comic writing to some pseudo philosophical propaganda about war, damm even the game Ryse Son of Rome or Doom manages a better war setting and plot than current WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    At this stage I think you can genuinely make a convincing argument that Warcraft is better written. At the very least the Burning of Teldrassil beats the Burning of the Sept. And let's not even get into the tactical retardation of the past two episodes.
    When it comes to retardation in terms of military issues, nothing really beats Lordaeron.

I've never understood this argument. Sylvanas has a total of ten minutes of screen time, maybe less, in the entire expansion up to this point. She's less irrelevant in terms of screentime than characters like Saurfang or Thrall, but Baine has more screen time and Talanji dwarfs her. Let alone Jaina and her eight cinematics. Sylvanas is more of a hamhanded plot device than a character and the story doesn't explore her in the slightest.
    It's very easy to understand that argument. You just need to pretend you believe the HORDE BIAS conspiracy theory is actually real and bam, everything there actually makes sense.

He's the grandpapa of human potential on top of what @matrix123mko and @Aucald have already said. He took the formative storyline of the night elves, the thing that defines their entire empire and suborned it to his time-traveling self-insert character who taught Illidan how to use magic. Other standouts include Rhonin's raptor army and that guy who could go in and out of the emerald dream at will despite being human.
    God, why does this forum keep remind me of his existence every time I manage to forget he existed.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2019-05-10 at 10:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    I dunno. They're both awfully written, I'll give you that.

I think BfA is written by people Fan-girling their Warchief with no real care for the other characters (apart from Nathanos obviously). Seriously though, what personality or development does ANYone else even have these days in this game?

GoT, like TLJ, is written by people who want to desperately "subvert expectations", even if it flies in the face of all development, character arcs and foreshadowing. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Jon accidentally fell down a flight of stairs and died mid-episode. The writers would be like "omg I bet NOBODY was expecting that. we're so edgy, we're blowing peoples minds.."

The coffee cup probably wasn't an accident. "You know what nobody would expect... THEM DRINKING STARBUCKS!!! OMG mind blown. Expectations subverted!".
    Can't imagine the coffee cup being an accident. Aren't many people/departmens checking the materials or something? How can shit like that slip, there has to be some kind of "quality management". I think they got payed a huge amount of money for product placement and that's it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    Imagine stopping Sargeras at the end of the last expansion
    Compared to the Alliance, Horde didn't really do much, at least that's what is represented in the game. Most characters were Alliance affiliated or joined the Alliance right afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    When it comes to retardation in terms of military issues, nothing really beats Lordaeron.
    Eh, sure, our boy Anduin was a bit slow to not pack gas masks, but we still have to keep in mind that the people he's being compared to sent 100k of their troops to die for no reason, placed their trebuchets in front of their infantry and decided that sticking civilians into a tomb full of corpses against a necromancer was a solid plan.

they didn't forget.

they flat out said they chose to just not use it because they didn't want to write for that.

it's worse than lazy or forgetfulness, it's willingly ignoring vital elements of your story because you don't like the outcome it would logically lead to.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    they didn't forget.

they flat out said they chose to just not use it because they didn't want to write for that.

it's worse than lazy or forgetfulness, it's willingly ignoring vital elements of your story because you don't like the outcome it would logically lead to.
    Yeah I got a hit when they told why they aren't using the Azerite or the Vindicar, the whole team is in high with some really bad drugs and for worse I'm still surprised Activision is letting these clowns to kill one of the few golden cow of blizzard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself