Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Blizzard has better tools to deal with gold sellers than they did in vanilla, and yes there will still be a lot of them lol. WoW token would never be a thing, it would undermine too much of the core mechanics of vanilla WoW gameplay.
    thats not the vanilla experience, they need to leave gold sellers alone just like they did in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Xalvia View Post
    I think they said there won't be a token but im to lazy to look for a source

you can buy it on retail though and get a sub from there

dont mind the gold sellers they were a thing back then and will be today
    Hmmm think there will be a "SusanExpressClassic"? xD

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by In Ogres We Trust View Post
    Not really.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably. People will still buy gold, so it's an option of either a) buying a token from Blizzard (via a safe format) or b) risking your account with Chinese farmers, bots, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

A Classic player shouldn't be forced to play on the retail version of the game for a token.
    A Classic player shouldn't be messing around with tokens in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    You really can't figure out why?, there are a ton of people that look at retail as cancer and want nothing to do with it. This means buying or selling the token means nothing to them unless it is actually selling for gold in the Vanilla auction house.
    It doesn't matter if it "means nothing to them". Blizzard makes the game, not them. Deal with it or play something else?
    ill probably be infracted for this post

I think trading retail for classic gold will be a thing, i dont think its bannable and i dont think it should be? But it would probably be like 1m retail gold for 100g class, something like that. Blizz would probably ban it when they start getting a lot of scam reports.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Enjoy your ded gaem then.
    Vanilla is archaic, buggy, imbalanced and horribly outdated compared to every other MMO on the market these days, let alone modern WoW. The only people that will be supporting it are the handful of nostalgic nerds wearing their rose tinted glasses who either can't remember or are stupidly ignorant about how terrible the game was back in its inception. Everyone else who tries it out of morbid curiosity will quit within a day when they see the terrible class design and realize the progression pacing is slower than a snail on molasses. Also, good luck if you wanna play certain specs in endgame raids without handicapping you and your fellow raiders.

Long story short. It'll be dead on arrival.

Infracted: Trolling {MoanaLisa}
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-05-12 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    It doesn't matter if it "means nothing to them". Blizzard makes the game, not them. Deal with it or play something else?
    You still don't get it, if it is not sold in the vanilla auction house then it doesn't affect vanilla wow in any way that counts to the players. Once they put it into the vanilla then they kill vanilla like they are killing retail. I personally don't believe they have the self control any more to think in the long term so the game will only be played by no lifers that mentally think they have too much to lose by changing games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkguyver2020 View Post
    Vanilla is archaic, buggy, imbalanced and horribly outdated compared to every other MMO on the market these days, let alone modern WoW. The only people that will be supporting it are the handful of nostalgic nerds wearing their rose tinted glasses who either can't remember or are stupidly ignorant about how terrible the game was back in its inception. Everyone else who tries it out of morbid curiosity will quit within a day when they see the terrible class design and realize the progression pacing is slower than a snail on molasses. Also, good luck if you wanna play certain specs in endgame raids without handicapping you and your fellow raiders.

I think you mean to say Retail in that statement since almost everything you have a problem with is also in retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    A token does not create gold, it just redistributes it.
    Yes but Blizzard allowing RL money trading for gold wasn't a thing in Classic and would allow power to be bought in the game. Gold in classic matters far more than it does in retail. If Blizzard is adamant in keeping Classic as it were, tokens do not belong in the version.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkguyver2020 View Post

Maybe stay on topic?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    You still don't get it, if it is not sold in the vanilla auction house then it doesn't affect vanilla wow in any way that counts to the players. Once they put it into the vanilla then they kill vanilla like they are killing retail. I personally don't believe they have the self control any more to think in the long term so the game will only be played by no lifers that mentally think they have too much to lose by changing games.

I'm confused... if I pay a gold seller $20 for 100g, how is this any different than if I sell a $20 WoW Token on the AH for 100g?

I mean, in the first scenario there's a chance I get scammed, I suppose. Functionally though, they are identical in every other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevarin View Post
    you should probably learn what the word "if" means. i never once said you couldnt, i said IF you cant. dont try to sound intelligent when you cant understand a simple word like if. it really doesnt work well.

i guess its to be expected of someone that thinks theyre literally forced to play retail to buy tokens.
    Are you still here?

You wouldn't be able to afford the token with gold earned in classic wow. Getting gold took an incredibly long time to earn in Vanilla. That 1k for the epic mount is probably going to be close to 6 months of farming on its own, let alone the 115k the average wow token costs right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Yes but Blizzard allowing RL money trading for gold wasn't a thing in Classic and would allow power to be bought in the game. Gold in classic matters far more than it does in retail. If Blizzard is adamant in keeping Classic as it were, tokens do not belong in the version.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe stay on topic?
    Gold could be bought in vanilla, it was sold everywhere. The gold sellers spammed chat that on any popular server there was a gold message on the screen in major cities and /1 in the current raid at all times. Not to mention the tells. Tokens just control this from happening and improve the experience. I knew of a couple hundred people who bought gold in vanilla(being in the end game progression scene in vanilla you talked to all the guilds), most of them would discuss who was the best to deal with, none of them got banned for buying gold(a couple for account sharing or exploiting but that is different). Please explain how this is any different than blizzard controlling the money, other than a token is safer than random xyzasaingoldexpress.com?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by macphistofly View Post
    You wouldn't be able to afford the token with gold earned in classic wow. Getting gold took an incredibly long time to earn in Vanilla. That 1k for the epic mount is probably going to be close to 6 months of farming on its own, let alone the 115k the average wow token costs right now.
    I guess you did not read, the token in Classic would be valued at what the market dictated. Likely 100ish Gold to start and creep up from there.

Only way I could ever see this happening is if it's a completely separate system from retail's in terms of price (obviously) and also how it works. If you buy a token, you accept that you may get less gold than the currently listed price is. Because gold is worth much more in Classic, the current system (where if you put it up for 100k, the price drops to 80k, then your token sells, you still get 100k despite the buyer only exchanging 80k for it, meaning the game creates 20k out of thin air) would do serious harm.

I don't think it will be necessary though. Blizzard got much better at stomping out gold sellers over the years, so I doubt it will be much of a problem in classic.
    Last edited by seleri; 2019-05-12 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentail View Post
    So there will likely not be a token ever and probably shouldn't be. However, "undermine too much of the core mechanics of vanilla WoW gamplay," what? How high were you when you tried to connect those dots? Literally doesn't affect gameplay at all and hardly affects anything altogether.

I will say that a token would not affect the market nearly as much as a lot of people in this thread think it would. If you think 300 gold in Classic is a lot, then a token would simply sell for 500 gold (hypothetical numbers). The price of the token is based on the market and would be adjusted for Classic if it was to be present. I'm not saying it should be present though, I'm just saying it wouldn't affect much like people think it would--especially at launch. Maybe a few years in for the 45 players left playing the game who have millions of gold it could affect things adding it then, but that's also debatable.
    Vanilla WoW was a game built from the ground up (nearly) on cooperating with other players to advance in the world. From farming gold (efficiently), to advancing in the dungeons (at speed) to raiding (required). It all depended on you knowing people, making connections, and interacting with the playerbase even if that interaction was a terse, "Will buy xyz, PST". A WoW token will enable people to bypass a large chunk of the grouping mechanic and just force their way past the (artificial) barrier to dungeons, raiding, and leveling.

This isn't going to be a solo experience.

It's not going to be a casual experience.

You will absolutely have to be in a guild, be active in that guild, and have a decent friends list of people you regularly communicate with to advance at the end game.

Being able to buy gold, safely and easily from blizzard, will enable players to skip lengthy grinds for mats. It will enable players to skip lengthy grinds for mounts and skills. It will enable players to essentially gear up alone (by buying mats and gear from the AH) and playing the game like retail - a solo game with optional grouping. I can't think of a single person that is excited for classic that wants that in the game.

*I want the grind*.

*I want to have to group*.

*I want the rpg back in my mmoRPG*

Sure, I don't have to buy the token. But it's been proven time, time and time again that players will always take the path of least resistance. If there is an easy way to make gold, they will use it. I don't want the option available. I want the game to be as close to the classic experience as humanly possible, even if that includes things like lengthy grinds, a questionable gearing philosophy, and a community you absolutely cannot opt out of if you want to raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    No token, it would inflate the prices of everything.
    That's an opinion, not a fact. The argument isn't even a reason as to why Blizzard wouldn't put them in. The reason that there won't be tokens is because there isn't a sub specifically for Classic. Classic is "free" with a sub to current expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

A more relevant question is, are you ok with gold trading between Classic amd retail? Because it most likely will happen, and it's ok to trade between games within Battle.net according to the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
    The token doesn’t create gold, just reallocates it. It wouldn’t cause inflation. Order hall missions that create thousands of gold worth of rewards per day creates inflation.
    Those were a major contributor but there are tons of little ones that contribute as well. Random world greys that sell for 10+ gold each, Emissaries that give 2Kgold for 4 WQ, of which those can give 50 - 100ish gold each, and so many more little things contribute to more and more gold inflation. Blizzard needs to stop pumping so much gold into the economy via those minor things and hopefully the inflation would slow or stop.

That aside, I hope they leave the token out of Classic and leave Classic as it was. Sure, tokens might not be game breaking there, but only if they have separate tokens for Classic and Live, which I doubt they'll ever do. Almost no one had the 115K gold back then, hell most people had under 1,000. Gold just wasn't as easy to get back then, but maybe that was because people were new and didn't know what they were doing. We'll see how it pans out when it goes live, hopefully relatively unchanged from how it was.

This concept is being debated in too limited of scope.

The question is not whether or not Classic will have Tokens, the question is when, if ever Classic will have tokens. It won't have them at launch. That's practically guaranteed. But will it ever? And if so, when? That's a much more intriguing question. The economy doesn't need vacuumed on a brand new game. It takes time for stagnation to settle in. But eventually, presuming Classic is a success, it would be leaving a lot of money on the table for Blizzard, and has proven to be a successful strategy for re-allocating the hordes of gold piled up, epic mount be damned.

Also, for the endless replies on whether or not Wow tokens generate gold. No, the tokens themselves don't generate gold, as has been pointed out several times, but the realization of tokens as a revenue stream generates incentive, which creates gold. I spent several afternoons on retail farming when I wouldn't have, sans token. That gold would never have been realized if there wasn't an incentive dangling apparent in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    A token does not create gold, it just redistributes it.
    Where did I write that it creates it? What I wrote is that gold is too much of power in Classic thus if you pay with real money for it just like that you buy power - pay 2 win game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dergiab View Post
    A more relevant question is, are you ok with gold trading between Classic amd retail? Because it most likely will happen, and it's ok to trade between games within Battle.net according to the rules.
    While average retail player might be interested in trading for gold on Classic servers, for general Classic population gold on retail is completely useless. Sure, you might argue that some would like to exchange retail gold for battlenet balance.... but if you want gold for that, why take the long route and not just farm on retail instead? Farming in Classic is one of the most boring and tedious things ever, I find it hard to imagine anybody would prefer it over farming on retail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.