• Hell Teah

35 15.09%
  • Damm Stupid

53 22.84%
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqthefat View Post
    Also used to execute people convicted of crime black or white in the United States. There was no "Well you are white so we won't be using the noose on you"
    When did I say something like that? In recent history of the US the noose has been used to terrorize black people. Never said that was its only use.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasnt offended, but even if I was, that's ok. Being offended isn't an issue. It's my right to be offended by things, but that doesn't mean the things I were offended by isn't ok.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    When did I say something like that? In recent history of the US the noose has been used to terrorize black people. Never said that was its only use.
    You highly imply it. Also calling this recent history is a joke, the 50s were 60 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqthefat View Post
    You highly imply it. Also calling this recent history is a joke, the 50s were 60 years ago.
    50-60 years means quite a few people were in their teens while that shit was going on...as in a lot of our grandparents.

They say they found it outside the school. They are probably laughing at the absurdity of finding it, it's most likely the first time they see one.

And then you have offended Americans screaming racism, because that's all one of their two neurons can process.

Leaders of the free world

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'm all for hearing why they took that picture and would accept a valid explanation. My first reaction will always be, 'you have some explaining to do'. I'm from the beaches of FL. I know how to tie a fishing hook and I know the games people play when it comes to symbolism.
    Derp

Glad I don't live across the pond

It must be exhausting to be offended all the time...

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does everything has to be a symbol for someone else and why should everyone care?
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

all depends on the context

if it's a noose they found in a depressed students locker then yeah don't joke about it.
    if it's a noose they found some boys making to be cool/as a joke themselves then joke about it all you want, even to the boys in question if you have the charisma to pull it off effectively.

I don't feel anything and I'm not offended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gael1 View Post

Derp

Nah. It just shows your lack understanding of American history. Which isn't meant to be a slight towards you because you haven't lived through it. The very town I grew up in, which you might now if I name dropped what area is famous for, had active klan chapters up until the 1980s. That's despite the federal government coming down on such groups because in the South the feds could only do so much. That group didn't just suddenly disappear, it went underground. There have been several stories of busted terrorism plots since.

Domestic terrorism against minorities in the US has been a thing over the last century. The noose is a symbol of that. Theres only been a downward trend over the last 40 years or so but bet some asshole will shoot up another church or synagogue before the year is over.

The teachers just might have slipped up, but that type of symbolism is not ignored by the groups that find themselves to be the targets of malice in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gael1 View Post

Derp

Nah. It just shows your lack understanding of American history. Which isn't meant to be a slight towards you because you haven't lived through it. The very town I grew up in, which you might now if I name dropped what area is famous for, had active klan chapters up until the 1980s. That's despite the federal government coming down on such groups because in the South the feds could only do so much. That group didn't just suddenly disappear, it went underground. There have been several stories of busted terrorism plots since.

Domestic terrorism against minorities in the US has been a thing over the last century. The noose is a symbol of that. Theres only been a downward trend over the last 40 years or so but bet some asshole will shoot up another church or synagogue before the year is over.

The teachers just might have slipped up, but that type of symbolism is not ignored by the groups that find themselves to be the targets of malice in the US.

Hanging a noose in the vacinity of a Jewish, black, even some other browns person's vicinity is an intimidation tactic.

I need context before making judgements.

The article says they found a noose on school grounds, then a teacher cracked a joke like "This is a back-to-school necklace" b/c they would rather kill themselves than teach these kids (internet humor). Then they all laughed and stupidly took a picture and posted it apparently, but that's not really a funny joke to outsiders so here we are now.

No, the teachers should not be fired over a tasteless joke. No, this has nothing to do with race. Yes, people should keep their "kill yourself/myself" humor out of schools.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    The article says they found a noose on school grounds, then a teacher cracked a joke like "This is a back-to-school necklace" b/c they would rather kill themselves than teach these kids (internet humor). Then they all laughed and stupidly took a picture and posted it apparently, but that's not really a funny joke to outsiders so here we are now.

No, the teachers should not be fired over a tasteless joke. No, this has nothing to do with race. Yes, people should keep their "kill yourself/myself" humor out of schools.
    It being about suicide victims instead of race really doesn't make it better. The teachers really need some sort of retraining, fired because I don't that exists.

Grade school should be neutral territory regarding social issues at best.

I'm from Europe. What exactly was the context? What did the teachers say about what the picture is about? Just showing a small noose (clearly not one used to hang people) without any context is not a story to me. You need to know more to judge one way or the other. So again, what was their explanation why they showed this noose?
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't know what this is about.

5+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality
    This is the dangerous thing from social media: A picture that is barely worth local news at best is now distributed so widely, it possibly not only "triggers" Caliwhales but potentially buttergolems worldwide.

It's absurd. The amount of outraged creeps and freaks is too much.

It's a tiny hangmans knot. Obviously way too small to even imagine it being used to hang someone.

I know I know "bla bla everyone has the right to be offended", but aren't people just embarrassed by being so outraged and making such a big deal about something so pathetically minor?

At least we can all agree that some of these parents are hilarious lol...
    One parent, Tierra Harris, told her daughter..
    “Do you know what they use that for? They use that to hang African-American people — that’s what they do — and kill them, They still do it to this day.”

Another parents Breyan Clemmons pulled her child out of the school and said it “It’s disgusting and I’m outraged... We think that we’re sending them to a school; they’re safe. Never do we think we’re sending them to a plantation where they got nooses hanging up, and holding on to nooses.”
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    I'm from Europe. What exactly was the context? What did the teachers say about what the picture is about? Just showing a small noose (clearly not one used to hang people) without any context is not a story to me. You need to know more to judge one way or the other. So again, what was their explanation why they showed this noose?
    We there roaming groups of people hanging minorities in trees 60-70 years ago? Surely European countries frown on the use of gas and dont tolerate swastikas because of events 70 years ago.

If you find that picture offensive and think they should be sacked...

1) you shouldn't be on the internet
    2) I hope you never ever get in a position of power where you can fire or influence someones career.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    You're being deliberately obtuse if you don't think lynching wasn't a big deal among blacks, just because whites were also hung.

It's not a matter of "who was hung more than who," but the fact that lynching was an integral part to the overall oppression of black people. White people being lynched or hung wasn't racially motivated, nor was it a part of a culture of racism and prejudice.
    and you're being deliberately obtuse if you think it was a massive deal back then. you're over-inflating how big it was back then because those were the ones you were taught about. modern day lynch mobs are getting people fired from their jobs without knowing what the hell is going on, it may not be based on race anymore but the targets are still disproportionately being punished/targeted for what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Theres been no context apparently. People are raging here because the noose seems to be associated with modern day executions of black people I believe? Yet people be more than happy to glorify guns over there. Just ridiculously sensitive people of this era really.