Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Disc 1 stuff thus far. I hope there’s a package to buy all three episodes or some such.
    I bet there will be DLC for each game too. Mind as well wait for when the Final Fantasy VII Remake - Trilogy: Complete Edition goes on discount for $20 in 2024.

- - - Updated - - -

I've no problem with a story being told across multiple games. My love for the Trails games is proof of that, but in that case the Trails stories really are that long. You can't squeeze them down into a fifty hour long title. Nihon Falcom manages to tell an incredibly story dense tale over the course of nine entries, with the latter entries being upwards of 100 hours long, with minimal padding. I've no faith in Square Enix to make three fifty hours games as dense with story, feels like they're going to throw in padding, be it in longer levels, fetch quests, or superfluous subplots.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I bet there will be DLC for each game too. Mind as well wait for when the Final Fantasy VII Remake - Trilogy: Complete Edition goes on discount for $20 in 2024.

- - - Updated - - -

I've no problem with a story being told across multiple games. My love for the Trails games is proof of that, but in that case the Trails stories really are that long. You can't squeeze them down into a fifty hour long title. Nihon Falcom manages to tell an incredibly story dense tale over the course of nine entries, with the latter entries being upwards of 100 hours long, with minimal padding. I've no faith in Square Enix to make three fifty hours games as dense with story, feels like they're going to throw in padding, be it in longer levels, fetch quests, or superfluous subplots.
    Sky, Cold Steel 1 and Cold Steel 3 are all glorified prologues to their following games. Can't complain about milking stories when you just admitted to liking a company that does just that. All of those games could of be squeezed into other ones and nothing crazy would have been lost.

Not to mention if you played the crossbell duology you already knew everything of importance that would happen in Cold Steel 1 anyways making it a complete and utter waste of time and a cheap attempt at making a Persona rip off high school sim. Trails is probably my 3rd favorite JRPG franchise and even I can admit these flaws in it lol.

If square releases these games and they're only 15 hours each then people might have legit complaints. If they are all 30 hour main story and 60+ with side content games then there is no complaints to be had. The problem is people seem to be assuming the story will be 1:1 remake with similar pacing and take a similar time to complete. Highly, highly doubt that's the case.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-05-10 at 09:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    All I wanted is for FF7 to have actual action combat,

Ewwww gross, I've just gone off you lol.

I just hope they keep the slap fight in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    From what I can gather you'll have your main active attacks, one special ability, and then a command menu where you can link upto 4 items/materia/limit breaks.
    I would be okay wth that... Although the idea of Limit break taking up one slot is a bit myeh. I'd rather it was a seperate prompt, that only popped up when your bar was full.

The question then becomes... IF they allow you to control all the different characters (which is "confirmed" IIRC)... Who are you going to use, most of the time?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I’d rather have an HD turn based combat system like how it was back when it originally released. Since that doesn’t seem to be happening I’m pretty heavily disappointed; but I will still play it as it was one of the most ground breaking games at the time in terms of innovation and graphical achievement. Lots of people say 7 is overhyped, but a lot of people don’t consider what came before and only that which came after.
    That said, if it releases episodically then I am very disappointed as the original was not long enough to justify episodes. Either way, I will be playing it as I remember the game very fondly.

Am I kind of alone in the feeling that I don't particularly give a shit one way or another what the combat system is...and I'm just looking forward to seeing the world, characters and narrative come alive in High Def? I'm not even a big fan of "action combat" but it's all just a means to an end for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    That would be called a remaster, not a remake.

... and if it's that big of a deal, we can just replay the original, I sure as hell have multiple times by now.

As for the HD textures, they already exist in the form of community mods:

Or they could do both and have it still be a remake. Hell, they could just add a few bosses and call it a remake.
    Also, if you want to be technical about it, remake defined just states remake (something) again or differently. Your definition and mine both cover this.

Fair enough, I really don't mind the combat system as long it's well done... as long as they don't fiddle with the story =P
    True. As I said, I’d prefer the turn based vs action based control of 1 character; but it’s not game ruining for me and I’m still looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Am I kind of alone in the feeling that I don't particularly give a shit one way or another what the combat system is...and I'm just looking forward to seeing the world, characters and narrative come alive in High Def? I'm not even a big fan of "action combat" but it's all just a means to an end for me.
    You are not, as long as the combat system is good.

10+ Year Old Account
    We didn't see anything other than the first half hour of the game, which is not a good sign as to the development's progress.

Also the combat system doesn't seem to be deviating much from the button mashing horrors of FF15, except you know hit limit breaks when your bar fills up. At least the character models and everything else look good and faithful to the original.

edit: I realise now the game will probably come in installments, so if it comes in 3 installments which is the most logical division, the cutway will probably be leaving Midgar, so development might not be that far behind.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2019-05-12 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...still-episodic

Ahhhh for fuck sake..... Was hoping this would be changed at least.

Although hope it's not 3 full priced £60 each episodes. £180 just to play FF7 HD is waaaaaayyyy too steep.
    Whelp I barely have any interest now, Thanks Square Enix.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Won't mind if the end cost comes to the same price as a full game or slightly more (£5 or £10 at most) than a full game.

Won't mind if the end cost comes to the same price as a full game or slightly more (£5 or £10 at most) than a full game.
    Ya if its $20 USD then ill buy it.

Its going to be at lease $40 and therefore I have very little interest.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Anyone notice that the State of Play video when it started made the same sound effect as when you hit "new game" in FF7?

Anyone notice that the State of Play video when it started made the same sound effect as when you hit "new game" in FF7?
    Yep

/10char

Fair enough, I really don't mind the combat system as long it's well done... as long as they don't fiddle with the story =P
    I'd much rather they fiddled with the story. In places it's a complete garbled mess, partly because of the translation errors and partly because there are lots of story threads that were started and never really went anywhere. It leads to lots of places where the plot is unclear, convoluted or just plain not explained at all. Straightening the whole thing out and either removing or repurposing the unused story threads to bring them into a consistent, cohesive and well paced plot would be preferable to leaving the entire script untouched.

In contrast, good turn based games are hard to come by. In fact, just remove the story and turn the whole thing into an ATB boss rush - I'd be writing them a blank cheque for that.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    We didn't see anything other than the first half hour of the game, which is not a good sign as to the development's progress.
    After watching the trailer, this is what's been bothering me the most. So far, they've been showing off the opening of the game since what... 2015? Given that the game has been scrapped and restarted once already, it doesn't bode well for the game being completed anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    In contrast, good turn based games are hard to come by.
    Not really. It's much harder to find JRPGs with a decent action combat then it is to find good turn based games. LoH, EO, SMT, Persona, BD11(Octopath, Bravely) etc... I'm not sure why people keep acting like they're rare when in fact they still make up the majority of the genre.

Meanwhile if you get the combat right on an action JRPG it instantly becomes a masterpiece(Nier Automata, KH2FM to most it seems). That is what is actually hard to come by. It's hard to find good action JRPGs, especially since Tales and YS have become sketchy at best(though they seem to be taking their time with the next Tales game so that might bring the franchise back).
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-05-12 at 05:32 PM.

(Also, cheer up mate, 3 weeks for octopath traveler on Steam! <3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Not really. It's much harder to find JRPGs with a decent action combat then it is to find good turn based games. LoH, EO, SMT, Persona, BD11(Octopath, Bravely) etc... I'm not sure why people keep acting like they're rare when in fact they still make up the majority of the genre.
    To be clear, I wasn't meaning turn based JRPG's, I was refering to turn based games in general. I probably should have mentioned it in my post. That's my B.

Outside of JRPG's and Board/Card games they're predominently made up of games that focus on large numbers of units, grand stratergies and resource management. Ones like D:OS2 and XCOM are something of a rarity. The last one that really grabbed me was Into the Breach. I prefer smaller more tactical battles, and for some reason it's hard finding games that scratch that itch.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah man episodic... I already have very little faith to SquareEnix....and now this is for me the last nail in the coffin....REALLY square? Episodic?

Beware rant inc:

HOW HARD IT TO BE JUST LIKE CLASSIC OPEN WORLD REALLY!
    is that even hard to obtain? WHY GOD DAMN SqureEnix god dman obsessed with the "changing style for the sake of new audience" what is so wrong to stay and get back to their roots? really?
    didn't the Bravely Default, and Octopath Traveler JRPG taught them a lesson really?

Hell even FF15 (Which I didn't like overall) with open world style like that I will take that system anyday than god damn episodic? really is it hard to ask?

This is exactly why I love the Tales series more than FF series for many years now they don't just change their style for the sake of grabbing attention of many audience as much as possible like current SquareEnix mentality...