15+ Year Old Account

Problems with my newly built PC

Hey,

So I seem to be having an issue with my newly built PC. I leave it on 24/7 (for various unrelated reasons) and after a few days, when I wake up in the morning, or get home in the evening, the fans will be spinning faster than usual and the PC is unresponsive to mouse movement/keyboard input. Also, a small detail, I have a lot of RGB stuff in there and they're all set to white, but the CPU cooler (Corsair H100i if it matters) will no longer be white but a random color.

Anyway what I'm guessing is is that it's blue screened while I've been asleep/out/whatever and not rebooted itself, though I'm not sure of this. I'm guessing this because a few times when I have been on it, it's blue screened and the same has happened with the computer fans etc.

First question, can any one recommend a good program for reading blue screen dumps? Once I can read them I can probably give you lot better info about what's actually happening and how I can fix it.

I'm tempted to completely wipe everything and reinstall windows but I fear that won't solve the issue, and probably should only be a last resort.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Have you OCed?

If yes = Reset BIOS to default for a few days, not a single change also,maybe apart from boot sequence if it fucks up-->See if fixed.

If you havent OCed-->What motherboard do you have? Generally pretty much every single company has a thing with terrible power saving features that long term cause more problems like the one you are describing than actually do anything worthwhile.

Do note that the above is very rare and usually follows any sort of bad bios version/turbo mode settings/very sloppy OC.

You said a few times it blue screened, what was the stop code? 0x00<what> ?

Also, Bluescreenview is the program you are looking for.
    Last edited by potis; 2019-05-13 at 12:06 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I haven't OCed unless the PC has done it for me without my knowledge

As for motherboard, It's the ASUS Prime Z390-A running what I believe to be the latest bios version.

That last BSOD I was able to actually witness was stop code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. When I googled this the first few links said stuff about outdated network drivers, so I updated those to what I again believe to be the latest.

I'll download Bluescreenview and see if I can get you more information.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: Bluescreenview shows 0 crashes, there is nothing in C:\Windows\Minidump which is a bummer.

- - - Updated - - -

noticed this in an ASUS program:

Should I disable this away mode? (I've edited the Windows power plans so my PC never goes to sleep).
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2019-05-13 at 12:35 AM.

Update all drivers from here

Update your BIOS to the latest and greatest which can be found here.

Do the Intel ME which can be found here.

After you have upgraded your BIOS to the latest and greatest, there is an option in the BIOS to load OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS.

After doing all this, then see what happens.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    snip
    Lets start basics.

My PC-->Right Click-->Properties-->Advanced System Settings-->Startup and Recovery-->Settings-->Untick "Auto restart", so you can see the codes.

Also, there wont be a minidump if you have deleted the pagefile.

Doing what @Ambushu said with his links isnt wrong also, forcing the latest drivers can pin point easier.

Drivers not less or equal is usually a good sign cause you can simply find whats causing it, or simply format it away.

But it can also indicate dying component in their very early period which is a bit trickier to identify but doable.

Not sure how exactly you think its network drivers

Also, usually Bluescreenview can tell you which driver, but since the dump got deleted or never saved, you cant know, hence.

Secondly, uninstall all that bullshit ass programs, they do more harm than good in "amateur" hands and generally they are not needed in any single case.

Now, despite all that, the fastest way is:

Make sure BIOS is latest version-->If not update-->Default it 100%--->Format-->Dont install any shit ass ASUS or any other hardware unnecessary program, they are all useless either way-->Just let Windows Update fully do its thing-->Troubleshoot again if it happens, by removing the auto restart and finding with Bluescreenview what driver it is.

Usually doing the second would mean its not the driver but probably faulty/dying component on a very fresh defaulted windows installation.

Or it can be that Windows default driver is simply completely shit for that one
    Last edited by potis; 2019-05-13 at 12:55 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I've done practically everything you have both said, except one thing. I've noticed Intel HD graphics is not under my Display Adapters, and when trying to install the drivers for that, I get this error message: "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software."

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, some digging and I found this: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...s-drivers.html

Guessing my motherboard has disabled the integrated graphics chipset?

If you have a discreet GPU card and onboard graphics in the BIOS is set to "auto" or "disabled" then it will usually be invisible to windows, as if it doesn't exist. This is perfectly ok as long as you only want to use the discreet GPU. In this case don't worry about the Intel HD graphics drivers.
    Signature not found

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, well, I guess now we wait and see if the main issue I've been having occurs again. Fingers crossed it doesn't! Thanks for everyone's help <3

@Nerph-

Hows the computer going?
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

15+ Year Old Account
    So far I've not had any issues after doing everything you lot told me. Let's hope it stays that way!

So far I've not had any issues after doing everything you lot told me. Let's hope it stays that way!
    Did you uninstall that ASUS program?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Did you uninstall that ASUS program?
    I did indeed

I did indeed
    Keep monitoring, just asking particularly that cause 25W CPU setting seems weird.

Generally your description of the error indicates undervoltage of the CPU (Which is usually because weird/bad C State settings in BIOS/Programs) that leads to freeze/BSOD which that weird ass power setting would make sense.

But then again, if you did 200 changes at the same time you cant really know :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Keep monitoring, just asking particularly that cause 25W CPU setting seems weird.

Generally your description of the error indicates undervoltage of the CPU (Which is usually because weird/bad C State settings in BIOS/Programs) that leads to freeze/BSOD which that weird ass power setting would make sense.

But then again, if you did 200 changes at the same time you cant really know :P
    I will keep an eye on it for sure. However I do wonder why a program that's supposed to simplify things for users would set the CPU voltage too low by default (as I definitely didn't change it). Thanks for catching that though!

15+ Year Old Account
    It's probably never "safe to say" something is fixed, but in this case it sure looks like it. PC has been running fine for near a week now, where I'm sure I'd have had the issue occurring. Once again, thank you to everyone who replied here for helping, your help is greatly appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

aaaand I spoke too soon Between 03:30 and 04:00 this morning my PC went into non responsive fast fan mode again... dammit!