Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Wierd laws where you live

I've heard of riddiculous laws that mostly aren't taken seriously.

In the city I live in There's a law that you can't honk the horn of your car. It might not be that odd, but it is heavily enforced.

What odd laws exist where you live? And are they enforced, or just ignored by authorities?

In Australia - the game of Two Up is legal in non licensed venues and in public on the morning of the 25th of April each year, and illegal the rest of the year.
    In Queensland - rabbits are illegal to own, and there is a $40,000 fine for owning one - unless you are a magician.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

7+ Year Old Account
    Still on the books today where I live:

- State – Women are prohibited from driving a car on Main Street unless her husband is walking in front of the car waving a red flag
    - City - Can't hitch your horse in the front of City Hall

- City (Urk): Carrier pigeons are not allowed to fly on Sunday, due to Sunday rest.
    - City (Meppel en Zoetermeer): You are not allowed to spy/peep on people in their home, so you're not even allowed to look in the window when you pass a house.
    - Province (Flevoland): It's not allowed to chalk on the sidewalks, not even by children.

7+ Year Old Account
    Best one i've heard is that in the UK (York specifically) it is legal to shoot a Scotsman with a crossbow unless it is a Sunday

7+ Year Old Account
    In Massachusetts its Illegal to have a gorilla in your back seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanderez View Post
    In Denmark it's Illegal to start your car if someone is underneath it
    Does that also include pits? Because that sounds like it could make fixing some exhaust issues kind of a pain in the ass..

There's a bunch of "wacky omgroflmao top 10 laws you wouldn't believe STILL exist!" type statutes in every single state, but since most of our citizens aren't literally retarded, none of these senseless laws are enforced.

*Dislclaimer: I don't speak for florida. If you choose to break one of their senseless rules, expect to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, because it's florida.*

For the sake of the thread, I'll go to some clickbaity top-10 list site and find a weird law to contribute for adults who somehow find this stuff interesting.

Did you know that in Portland Oregon: People may not whistle underwater?
    Last edited by LiiLoSNK; 2019-05-13 at 11:08 AM.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ohio's knife laws. I can carry a firearm out in the open or get a permit to carry one concealed, but other than a small nail file tool, can not carry any knife concealed which has a pointed end, serrated edge or one which the blade can be opened with one hand.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanderez View Post
    I actually don't know :P My thought was also about mechanics. But it's not something we enforce. I mean, how often does a police officer find a person lying under a car while it's running? Not too often :P
    Naw, it is while they are 'under' as in, all four wheels on the ground, and someone flat under.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    There's a bunch of "wacky omgroflmao top 10 laws you wouldn't believe STILL exist!" type statutes in every single state, but since most of our citizens aren't literally retarded, none of these senseless laws are enforced.

*Dislclaimer: I don't speak for florida. If you choose to break one of their senseless rules, expect to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, because it's florida.*

For the sake of the thread, I'll go to some clickbaity top-10 list site and find a weird law to contribute for adults who somehow find this stuff interesting.

Did you know that in Portland Oregon: People may not whistle underwater?
    Haha I was about to say, in Florida a dude was just arrested because his bumper sticker said "I eat ass/butt."

I live in New Jersey, you cannot pump your own gas at a station. An employee has to do it.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Haha I was about to say, in Florida a dude was just arrested because his bumper sticker said "I eat ass/butt."
    Those charges against him were dropped. We ether have freedom of speech or we do not and if it exists with bumper stickers, then even if it sounds ridiculous and offensive, it still is a right.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Charges were dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Those charges against him were dropped. We ether have freedom of speech or we do not and if it exists with bumper stickers, then even if it sounds ridiculous and offensive, it still is a right.
    I'm aware they were dropped, but he was still arrested and jailed under a specific Florida Statute, which somehow forbids a broad spectrum of things, which is both hilarious and relevant to this thread.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    All real laws in passed in Minnesota:

A person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head.

Red cars may not drive down Lake Street.

Any person who persuades another to enter a massage therapist business after 11:00 PM is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Hamburgers may not be eaten on Sundays.
    Last edited by ghotihook; 2019-05-13 at 12:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if it's true but I heard in Denmark it's legal to hit Swedes crossing the ice at Öresund with a stick. Possibly because that's what our armies did a couple of times, last time I believe it was to take back Skåne and (failing to) invade Köpenhamn, the danish capital.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

I'm aware they were dropped, but he was still arrested and jailed under a specific Florida Statute, which somehow forbids a broad spectrum of things, which is both hilarious and relevant to this thread.
    I assume the judge just said, "prove it", then 1 court recess and 15 minutes later, the defendant was released.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Uk has literally thousands of bylaws for local areas, some are famous, like, if you live in York, you can shoot a Scotsman with a Bow and Arrow) to my personal favourite from my home town which is
    "It is illegal to cross an Elephant on Market Square on a Tuesday".

Which just brings up *so* many questions. What the fuck did an Elephant *do* to get that ban? Why only a Tuesday? Why only the Market Square and no other? These questions need answers, dammit!

Also, UK Males over 14 are legally required to keep 2 hours per week free, for Longbow Practice. Understandable, really. What with Brexit coming, and those dastardly French just across the water.
    http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/interna...united-kingdom

This actually explains a few UK ridiculous laws. It's pretty funny.

Stood in the Fire Fixxit the Gnome's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    In Norway colour TV is actually illegal.

The government started a trial in the 70's to see if colour TV was negatively affecting the populace.
    Parliament never passed the law that allowed them to be sold to the public.

Technically, we're still in a trial period.
    - Dare not to sleep -