Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by glowzone View Post
    Yeah, it's not.

Every pvper worth their salt knew the best pvpers on the server. I can name the pvpers from my original server to this day. This isn't a private server thing.
    That was because of World PvP, not because BG's lol.

Don't let your nostalgia glasses fool your memories.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Neither did Vanilla until 1.12 which was the last major patch. When people think of vanilla PvP, most don't think of cross-realm bgs because they were only a thing during 4 months~ until BC launched
    Which is the problem, since the remake is based on 1.12.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    I've been playing since '05, I really didn't notice a change, maybe it was because my server was already filled with assholes to begin with, because on my server the fabled blacklist really didn't exist, Thunderhorn EU have since I started playing been filled with plenty of assholes who still managed to get into groups.
    Yeah I understand that, I played on a small realm with only 1 warsong gulch up and literally zero AV's, ever. It was very close and everyone knew eachother. The good and the bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Razzako View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Which is the problem, since the remake is based on 1.12.
    It was both, 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    Do you remember you were not able to queue from everywhere? While I can get behind this sentiment, price for this is too high. Just watching into monitor for like 20-40 minutes (on my server) was getting old really fast. And today, i wouldn't be even able to do it.
    I remember, I just don't care. My priorities are just different then yours it seems. Fighting against people you actually know feels a lot more meaningfull to me. It's what an mmo should offer imo. I fight alongside friends that I know, I fight against enemies I know. Reputations are build, friendships and hatreds are formed. No amount of fixing queutimes will make it worth it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzako View Post

If you queued bg's every day you were always going to run into a group of people who do nothing but bg's. They did nothing else.
    The chances of running into the same enemy out in the world all the time is actually a ton lower. It still happens, but no were near as much as in bg's.
    Last edited by glowzone; 2019-05-14 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    There is a massive difference free farming 2 groups and dodging the other side premade, and queueing against other 2342343 premades.
    Precisely.

Go fuck yourself "Auto-lose if you find yourself in a game with X as he's not in our ranking mafia"

(For clarity the expletive is directed at the sentiment I quoted not the user I quoted)
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2019-05-14 at 07:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I remember, I just I don't care. My priorities are just different then yours it seems. Fighting against people you actually know feels a lot more meaningfull to me. It's what an mmo should offer imo. I fight alongside friends that I know, I fight against enemies I know. Reputations are build, friendships and hatreds are formed. No amount of fixing queutimes will make it worth it for me.
    This was still true with cross-realm BGs. Yes, there were more people, but after few weeks, you were pretty much familiar with their names. At least I was during my days in Vanilla or BC.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    This was still true with cross-realm BGs. Yes, there were more people, but after few weeks, you were pretty much familiar with their names. At least I was during my days in Vanilla or BC.
    This all depends on how they'll handle this. With small battlegroups this could very well be the case and I wouldn't have the biggest of issues with it. I'd still rather not I suppose but it would make some sence.

However we don't know that's what they'll do, for all we know they'll toss everyone in the same pot and we got what we got on live all over again.

This all depends on how they'll handle this. With small battlegroups this could very well be the case and I wouldn't have a real issue with it.
    However we don't know that's what they'll do, for all we know they'll toss everyone in the same pot and we got what we got on live all over again.
    I'd imagine it's the servers which will get the reputations on the enemy side more than the individuals, Y-realm will be known to be tryhards or Z-realm will be known for always playing really defensively in Alterac Valley etc.

I sympathise with your position on this, and honestly all-other-things-being-equal I would also trade in longer queues for single-server enemies; but it's the emergent behaviour that existed in Vanilla, and exists on every vanilla pirate server with the Pvp ranking 'monopoly' that I'd sacrifice single-server queues to try to mitigate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Single-realm battlegrounds did have quite a bit of nostalgia, but cross-realm is a godsend for anyone that plays at off-peak hours.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

If you queued bg's every day you were always going to run into a group of people who do nothing but bg's. They did nothing else.
    The chances of running into the same enemy out in the world all the time is actually a ton lower. It still happens, but no were near as much as in bg's.
    That heavily depended on which BG bracket you were on.

I am not happy with this news. Some of the fun is recognizing some of the people you are fighting and being able to group queue on servers and things like that against other groups. Sure had a lot of fun in Vanilla doing this. I don't like this change at all though.

Xrealm BGs are an embarrassment that should have no place in Classic.

TBC era tech that was BETA TESTED at the end of vanilla wow, specifically to have it ready for TBC era pvp systems splitting the pvp base into more subsections than a single server could support. To clarify if you're confused: Vanilla had 3 divisions (WSG/AV/AB).... TBC was going to have 7 (WSG/AV/AB/EOTS + 2v2/3v3/5v5) dividing up the pvp player base. They had to garuntee the Xrealm system, designed for TBC content was fully functional prior to TBC release (as it failing in vanilla wouldn't have been a problem, just disable and people go to the 3 main BGs..... if it failed in TBC you might not get enough participation with the playerbase so divided to get ANYTHING to spawn)

Beyond that argument..... There are a wealth of problems that Xrealm tech causes:

1. People AFKing or otherwise not trying in bgs, because there's no longer social consequence from their server. You performed like garbage before Xrealm tech, and you'd have been embarrassed to perform so poorly in front of your peers, because they'd be able to remember you.

2. High ping realms/ non English realms..... Oh joy, 3/4 of my BG is Latin realms (causing a language barrier) or Oceanic players with 400+ ping.... Thanks for the auto-loss blizz! Half the reason I wanted classic was specifically to avoid the kind of pug-trash we get on retail right now.

3. Not only does Xrealm tech NOT FIX realm population imbalance issues (which are the reason for your broken queu times), they ACTUALLY ENCOURAGE FACTION STACKING REALMS.... There's no consequences for rolling a dominant faction at all when you can just Xrealm BG without issue while absolutely dominating pvp.

You fix population imbalance problems by ADDRESSING POPULATION IMBALANCE PROBLEMS, not ignoring them and hoping Xrealm will fix it for you.... Retail has Xrealm tech, and Horde BG queus (thanks to faction stacking) are DOUBLE the amount of time that my vanilla realm's non xrealm Queus where

I'd also add, part of the reason for the queu problems is the system itself.... If my horde queu timers are 15+ minutes, how in the actual hell is a Mercmode queu not instant? Something else is also impacting this.

I prefer same-realm battlegrounds, especially for warsong and arathi.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjaz View Post
    Hi guys,

In the Tipsout's interview with the developers they confirmed that the battlegrounds in Classic WoW will be cross-realm. How do you guys feel about this. Don't you think it will take away a lot of the Horde vs Alliance atmosphere on each realm?

Essentially, in Vanilla WoW back in the day people could misbehave, under preform and all the toxicity was born with that patch. That's where it started to go downwards with the WoW Community.
    It should definitely be in the Classic, because it was added in vanilla, but IMHO they should add it in the last phase though (because it was added at the end of vanilla)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    I don't think it takes anything away.

If anything it will shorten queue time.
    In classic we had 15 minutes queues, on alliance side (after spending 30 minutes to get to a NPC at the ass end of the world depending on which BG we wanted to queue for), and we loved it. Fuck this watered down version of classic.

What horror will they come up with next? Quality of life improvements? Urgh.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Did you play during the release of the x-realm battlegrounds? Really wondering because I dont want to be stuck in my own opinion. From my perspective, it changed a whole lot.
    I played pre-cross realm BGs and after, I'd say this is good for queues but bad for player reputation in BGs. If they can somehow use a system to at least prioritize people who are on the same server so you get as little cross-server as possible, I'd say that is great.

But then again, player reputation is also largely dependent on what you do in the open world.

Probably for the best.

Will keep things more fresh and balanced. Without CR you run into the real problem of win-trading. Also if I remember correctly AV queues were hellaciously long before CRBGs

God I forgot 1.12 added cross realm BGs. I was thinking it came with arenas in BC.

This is bad news for me. Not sure if I'll even touch PvP in Classic now, not to mention the significant impact this will have on server communities.

Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    In classic we had 15 minutes queues, on alliance side (after spending 30 minutes to get to a NPC at the ass end of the world depending on which BG we wanted to queue for), and we loved it. Fuck this watered down version of classic.

What horror will they come up with next? Quality of life improvements? Urgh.
    15 minute queue times prior to implementation of cross realm? On my server it was a couple hour queue on Alliance side.

Bg's are just a lot more fun to me if you recognize the enemies.

I don't care if the queu is longer really, so this will be quite a downer for me if it's true.
    you'll still see some of the same faces....

I started in april of 2006 and i can say without a doubt this is a good thing. Sure you might not see the same shaman that you have had countless duels with but the queue time reduction was a god send and people were extremely happy with this change in 2006.

IIRC my queue times on alliance anvilmar went from over an hour to sub 10 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you play during the release of the x-realm battlegrounds? Really wondering because I dont want to be stuck in my own opinion. From my perspective, it changed a whole lot.
    Not only did i play during that time period, i knocked quite a few people off the leaderboard for grand marshall solo queueing lol. Xrealm bg's are a good thing and you still have the opportunity to see people from your server of course.