Poll: Are you ready to live on Hot Earth?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    I still say the warming can be stopped, but only with radical change.
    However, where are we already colonizing? Did I miss something?
    He's saying that basically Earth is changing into a new planet with the shift in climate.

Quote Originally Posted by ge0 View Post
    So, the data source changes at 1958, which correlates with the huge spike in co2. Can someone with better knowledge than me explain why this is allowed in scientific research? How can we be sure the data taken from ice cores 8,000 years ago is exactly what's on that chart. It is just an estimation, not an actual reading, whereas the more recent data is an actual reading. I'd like more info on how accurate these estimations are, and whether they are even capable of detecting massive spikes in co2. For example, say hypothetically our co2 levels plummet back down to ~250ppm. If scientists in the year 3000 took ice core samples from our current era, would they be able to see the spike we're currently having? Or would it average out? I'm wondering if the ice core data is more like a moving average, rather than an exact picture of what is happening at any moment in time
    Well... If you take a look on the graph you will see that the spike seem to be more about 250 years ago, not 50 (used a ruler to compare. 1k years = 2 cm, spike starts around .5 CM before "now") which correlate with the industrial revolution. For why they changed, my best guess is that either A)there is not enough core samples to make precise measures (especially for more current dates) or if that is not the case for the later ones B) The observatory has proven to give more consistent data, so they started using those from when they started measuring (1958).

I don't think climate change is fake, I also am willing to go along with the fact that we humans have something to do with it. But I just don't see it as a OMFG we have to do something now or we will all be dead in 12 years.

Thing is no1 gives a shit. Europe has 700.000.000 people. Assuming a 3 to 1 ratio were talking bout 250.000.000 households. Assuming it costs around 10k to buy and install (thats retail price) a heatpump + enough solar panels to keep you sustained + ceramic cooking plate, it would take 2.500.000.000.000 dollars, JUST 2.5 trillion. Thats peanuts if spread over all of europe across multiple years. We could all be energy neutral in 10 years. Costing 250 billion a year, with all european countries pitching in. Hell, subsidize it by 50% and itll only take 125 billion the next 10 years.

Same goes for america and asia but with slightly different numbers.

But like i said. Nobody gives a shit. Or it wouldve been set in motion already.
    Last edited by Thereturn; 2019-05-14 at 09:03 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I don't think climate change is fake, I also am willing to go along with the fact that we humans have something to do with it. But I just don't see it as a OMFG we have to do something now or we will all be dead in 12 years.
    It’s more for our grand children and great grand children to live like us instead of lives filled with extreme weather. It’s nice to work towards a goal of leaving a nice world/weather for future generations.

I've lived in the South all my life and we've always had 100 degree fahrenheit summers. It doesn't really seem any different.

Quote Originally Posted by FL4K View Post
    Jeeze , I already can' t stand living where I live with 90 degree plus temperatures all year around

I sleep with my place set to like 60 degrees with a fan on me

I 'm not ready for this
    If your fan has a timer setting, have you considered putting it on before bed, then setting the timer to like an hour when you go to sleep? That way you're cool af getting in to bed and going to sleep, but saving a bit of electricity bill.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nitex View Post
    I've lived in the South all my life and we've always had 100 degree fahrenheit summers. It doesn't really seem any different.
    To you. To insects and plants, it's a big difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    As much as I accept man made climate change, I do think a lot this is alarmism.
    Because the impacts won't come for a while due to lag time. It's like rainfall. You know it's coming because the clouds are there, but even after it lands it will have to travel since the ground isn't too saturated. Then as the ground is more saturated, lag time is reduced. That's the problem with this, we know that due to carbon levels a certain amount of change will happen, now it's an attempt to limit that change.

7+ Year Old Account
    Up here in NH we've had 8 months of 50 degree or colder days, I'm ready for some good damn warmth

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I'll wind up having to move to Minnesota, Michigan, or Canada. Maybe Washington?

That is, if I'm still alive in 30-40 years.

But seriously, the people who don't actually think climate change is real or significant are mind-boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Only idiots think the concern is for 12 years in the future (or anytime in the immediate future).

But hey, keep on being a selfish dick. Let the world burn, literally. You won't be around to deal with it, so fuck it, right?

Do you remember what Al Gore said would happen by 2010? lol.. it didn't happen. Everything is fine. My parents say throughout their lives every decade a different "Disaster" is predicted and the story is changed every time when it doesn't happen. They need to stop over exaggerating because it just causes people to roll their eyes and say "Boy who cried wolf".

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Which is understandable but also contributing to this.
    put the air conditioner outside then, blow all the hot air off the edge of the planet???

It's a hoax, we could easily fix it
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    1. Al Gore isn't a scientist.
    2. Your parents were fucking boomer retards who thought smoking cigarettes was fine for you. Are we really listening to them?
    3. Climate change is real and it is happening whether you "believe" in it or not.
    No one is saying it isn't, but "end of the world in 10 years unless we give up our economic position to China" is silly. Climate scientists want us to commit economic suicide and let China rule the world. "No more airplanes", "all buildings redesigned with these strict expensive guidelines",

And my parents never smoked.. So don't get your point there.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-05-14 at 09:36 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus christ...

/facepalm

I want to try to explain to you why thats so retarded, but it would be such a waste of time that I can't afford to waste my energy on it. Just going to let it sit there and be retarded.
    Well, i am answering his question, and a 2°C increase is absolutely nothing for me. But again, OP's question was if i am prepared, not if the pink frog with yellow dots from Papua New Guinea is prepared. Also i dont live in the coast and natural distasters are not a thing here.

So i am fine here, reading reports from decades ago saying we were supposed to be in much worst conditions by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    I've always been curious why the "cool kids" have such contempt for taking action on climate change.
    Just absorbed culture war BS from parents?

Was it acquired from BS artists on South Park? I mean South Park basically taught a generation to ridicule Al Gore, " ManBearPig". Yet Al Gore was the last major candidate to run explicitly with confronting climate change in his platform. Making the 2000 elections a referendum on climate change.... Kyoto et al.

Kinda feel like Matt Stone and Trey Parker owe Al Gore an apology.
    Someone clearly didn't watch the newest season of South Park...

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    But seriously, the people who don't actually think climate change is real or significant are mind-boggling.
    It's real, it's just happening super slowly so people roll their eyes about it. It's not like we're all going to die in 10 years and any small (or even large) changes most of us do are going to do fuckall compared to what factories and other shit spewing toxic garbage are doing. In my case, it's just defeatism. "Why bother? I'm not going to change anything." is how I feel and I'm sure most of us do too.

A 2 degree increase or decrease in the global temperature has dramatic effects on the environment, even if it has no effect on you personally you will feel the effects because things will start getting more expensive and water supplies and food supplies will start being drained faster and faster and faster until global wars erupt over resources because we fucked ourselves over because of idiots saying "Oh well hurdur I have an air conditioner"

Even if you got 50% of the world's population to do whatever it is you wanted to do (good, fucking, luck), this shit is still bound to happen.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

This actually makes his idea to start colonizing Mars some time in the first half of this century even more relevant.

If you get 50% then the number is only going to grow from there when shit starts going south at an even more dramatic pace. If you have 50% educated people the number of educated people will grow from there.
    Okay, and the factories? The toxic waste? The garbage we continue to produce? Even if you turned the entire planet vegan, it's not going to be a magic cure-all.

PS: Good luck turning lower/upper class vegan. Lower-class can't afford it; upper-class will laugh at you.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

The boomer generation were the ones who normalized smoking and let tobacco companies poison and manipulate the public to such a degree that children were smoking, getting addicted, and then dying of lung cancer.

Holy shit read a fucking book once in a while.
    Ok? That has nothing to do with my parents though since they didn't smoke and they knew it was bad.. My parents aren't "fucking boomer retards". Maybe you're the retard.

2. Your parents were fucking boomer retards who thought smoking cigarettes was fine for you. Are we really listening to them?

We are fucked anyways. Even if the US went full on zero emissions it wouldnt be enough to meet targets. China alone will undermine whatever effort is made. Still do something about it because the things that produce a lot of CO2 are bad for your health anyways.

Artificially created meat is one of the best new solutions that is becoming more affordable and easier to develop, and considering around 50% of the problem is industrial farming... That's huge. The entire world becoming vegan is unrealistic, but that doesn't mean that we can't find other solutions.
    That also sounds like one of the worst things you could put into your body, and until there's extensive research and studies made around it, I'm not putting that into my body. I'm fucked enough as it is.

Now if we find out it's actually okay to consume, and it definitely tastes, feels (texture is important), and cooks the exact same as meat, then sure, I'd be more than fine going "vegan" (or rather vegetarian, until everything else becomes artificial and vegan). But the chances of all of this happening seems nil in my lifetime. This is like science-fiction level.

You act like there is no possible way for billions of people to find solutions to these problems if we actually invest even just the headspace into accomplishing the goals.
    Unless the 1% want to contribute the $$, the majority of us are just trying to keep a roof over our heads and live semi-comfortably.

Seeing as how we don't have any solutions outside of "colonize (and eventually fuck up) another planet" tells me we're not bothering.