Poll: Are you ready to live on Hot Earth?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    hmf...too many people use defeatism to justify their own comforts...and basically say "fuck those future generations and my own children."

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Or you can stop making your life more difficulty for no reason other than to feel better about yourself while the world in actuality is being brought down by something far greater and harder to stop.
    Yea why would I ever try to do something to feel good about myself or deal with a perceived threat, everything should just stay easy and fair forever so I'm free from thinking or lifting a finger
    Glad you caught the news but action speaks while words quiet.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2019-05-14 at 10:47 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Yea why would I ever try to do something to feel good about myself or deal with a perceived threat, everything should just stay easy and fair forever so I'm free from thinking or lifting a finger
    Glad you caught the news but action speaks while words quiet.
    Yeah, your action to take a single bottle cap full of muck out of the water. Boy, you sure get to feel good about that. Too bad that none of that is going to save the world. But in this age, it's more important to feel good than to actually change anything in any practical sense, so it only makes sense that this self-righteousness rules the narrative.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    hmf...too many people use defeatism to justify their own comforts...and basically say "fuck those future generations and my own children."
    Defeatism doesn't even remotely suffice as a term when our individual actions combined to save the planet couldn't hope to actually save it, even if we lived in an anime/cartoon world.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    The boomer generation were the ones who normalized smoking and let tobacco companies poison and manipulate the public to such a degree that children were smoking, getting addicted, and then dying of lung cancer.

Holy shit read a fucking book once in a while.
    Kids were smoking since the 19th century at least, the famous picture of a bunch of young "newsies" smoking is from 1910. Boomers were the victims of the tobacco companies aggressive marketing (the Flintstones advert for cigarettes came out in 1961 when the baby-boomers were aroudn 16 or younger) and the backlash started in earnest during the 60s (not counting earlier German efforts against smoking that failed due to Nazism and WW2.)

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Well, i am answering his question, and a 2°C increase is absolutely nothing for me. But again, OP's question was if i am prepared, not if the pink frog with yellow dots from Papua New Guinea is prepared. Also i dont live in the coast and natural distasters are not a thing here.

So i am fine here, reading reports from decades ago saying we were supposed to be in much worst conditions by now.
    A good first step for you would be understanding the concept of averages.

A 2 degree average might mean outlying variations of +/- 10 degrees possibly. These massive variations also tend to occur predominantly in areas already tending towards the extremes.

Adding an extra 5 or 7 degrees Celsius to a heatwave in India might be the difference between "unbearably hot" and "no longer suitable for agriculture or human habitation" for hundreds of millions.

Same temperature variations could mean the difference between "agriculture is our primary industry" or "the entire region is dust swept wasteland" in the US Midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    But the thing is China is and is far ahead of many western countries in doing so. This whole "But but China." isn't an argument anymore. It hasn't been for over a decade. Even India has finally woken up to it.
    Ah yes. A few solar panels, that totally brushes the fact that it's still the biggest polluter by a mile and continues to actively be under the rug.

Quote Originally Posted by Give Sethrak Blizz View Post
    We are fucked anyways. Even if the US went full on zero emissions it wouldnt be enough to meet targets. China alone will undermine whatever effort is made. Still do something about it because the things that produce a lot of CO2 are bad for your health anyways.
    China's CO2 emissions per capita are roughly the same as the EU's at the moment, the US is more than double that amount.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, your action to take a single bottle cap full of muck out of the water. Boy, you sure get to feel good about that. Too bad that none of that is going to save the world. But in this age, it's more important to feel good than to actually change anything in any practical sense, so it only makes sense that this self-righteousness rules the narrative.

- - - Updated - - -

Defeatism doesn't even remotely suffice as a term when our individual actions combined to save the planet couldn't hope to actually save it, even if we lived in an anime/cartoon world.
    Where do you think the fortitude to do the big things comes from? Why do you think you have all the answers or know better like this is about you individually? You're an insufferable hypocrite to argue with intent on just going in circles while claiming the high-ground like there is one or this is a game.

Where do you think the fortitude to do the big things comes from?
    This is not some kind of utopian Disney story where if we, the common people just unite to do the right thing, the big bad real polluters will get the idea that it's bad and stop doing it. It requires real action. Stop patting yourself on the back for eating less meat and putting the small contributers under a microscope and focus your efforts on the big things.

No one but you is gonna give a single shit that you stopped eating meat when the world still burns in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    China's CO2 emissions per capita are roughly the same as the EU's at the moment, the US is more than double that amount.
    Ah the whole "per capita" argument.

IE ignore the fact China has more polluting factories then the entire rest of the planet combined because they also happen to have the largest population in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

IE ignore the fact China has more polluting factories then the entire rest of the planet combined because they also happen to have the largest population in the world
    Y-you forget that they also have a few solar panels. T-that makes it all better.

Yeah, if people continue to obfuscate like this, we'll never get anything done. But keep continuing to screech at the common guy that he should stop using a fan or some shit because the world is burning. Lol, it's a joke.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    This is not some kind of utopian Disney story where if we, the common people just unite to do the right thing, the big bad real polluters will get the idea that it's bad and stop doing it. It requires real action. Stop patting yourself on the back for eating less meat and putting the small contributers under a microscope and focus your efforts on the big things.

No one but you is gonna give a single shit that you stopped eating meat when the world still burns in the end.
    You're certainly handling things well. I get you're depressed so I can forgive you forgetting how the world works.

You're certainly handling things well. I get you're depressed so I can forgive you forgetting how the world works.
    I am handling it well. I'm not living in some fantasy world, crying at John the repair man that he should save the world from pollution when in all actuality it's a bunch of governments and businesses that are at fault for it.

There will be no Disney song that will get them to realize that they need to take real action. There will be no sudden development of a moral compass if they see you become vegan to save the planet. Be realistic, stop it with the feelgood bs. You're just trying to make yourself feel better.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I am handling it well. I'm not living in some fantasy world, crying at John the repair man that he should save the world from pollution when in all actuality it's a bunch of governments and businesses that are at fault for it.

There will be no Disney song that will get them to realize that they need to take real action. There will be no sudden development of a moral compass if they see you become vegan to save the planet. Be realistic, stop it with the feelgood bs. You're just trying to make yourself feel better.
    Be realistic? Then why don't you instead of assuming everything you think you know about me or others to fit your own tiny little hurt-locker?

Quote Originally Posted by uopayroll View Post
    It will rain for forty days and forty nights just like the last time
    I was mostly ignoring this thread until I read this. I snotted my soda laughing so hard.

Sadly as much as I want to argue the point, I can't.
    There's just too many damn people on the planet.

Do your part, be happy about it, just don't get blinded. It's governments and big companies that are doing most of the damage- keep your focus on that.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You're free to do your part or remove yourself from the equation if that's really your point. Communication isn't any harder than you make it to be.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2019-05-14 at 11:17 PM.

Be realistic? Then why don't you instead of assuming everything you think you know about me or others to fit your own tiny little hurt-locker?
    Thanks for conceding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

Erm... yes - are you saying CO2 emissions should be looked at regardless of population size? Does that mean the USA should cut its emissions to the same as the UK's despite are lower population, or should the people of the UK be allowed a per-capita rate 5x that of the United States? How do tiny nations like Luxembourg and Monaco figure into this, are they supposed to be turning all the lights on 24-7 to match the larger nations or should we all go back to the stone age to match them?