Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Why put people on the moon when we can launch cars into space
    This is a fairly stupid dig at Musk.. They needed to test the rocket with a payload, and he could get a tesla for cheap, so used that. It also made for a great viral marketing stunt instead of just sending rocks

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I'd prefer if we sent Trump himself to the moon, honestly. He can't fuck up a nonexistent climate.
    Might be feasible one day to send our harmful trash to the moon.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    People lost interest after Apollo 14. It just is not interesting, to repeat, what people did 50 years ago.
    Fuck that. The people who were old enough to remember seeing that live 50~ years ago are either dead, senile, or OD'ing right now. Let's do this shit again, for a new generation. In 4K this time. VR.

While there has already been a human on the moon, I wouldn't mind seeing a woman do it either. Although this has ulterior motives written all around it, and that's what strikes me as more discussion worthy than having another human on the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    If we do not do it. Others will.
    don't know of anyone else who wants to go to the moon. india maybe? don't think russia or europe care. Japan might want to one up china but i don't think they have human launch capability anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    This is a fairly stupid dig at Musk.. They needed to test the rocket with a payload, and he could get a tesla for cheap, so used that. It also made for a great viral marketing stunt instead of just sending rocks
    Well, you are respond to a person with zero sense so what do you expect? SpaceX has done what literally no other rocket company or organization could dream of when it comes to making space flight affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It wasn't a dig at musk, would it be fairly stupid to think so?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I mean, the fact that it's proposed by him should tell you that it's done for all the wrong reasons..
    Thats my gut instinct and my first kneejerk reaction too, but at the same time I desperately, desperately want to believe there is some redeeming quality in him.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    What is NASA hoping to learn by landing on the moon again?
    How to inhabit it, how to set up a colony to use as a forward base for further exploration of the nearby solar system. How to eventually leave Earth and settle elsewhere before Earth becomes uninhabitable.

Plenty of reasons.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Throwing money at problems is the wrong approach. Look at F-35. Or most modern military contracts. Add a few billions to SLS and Orion and the launch date won't move for an hour.

-

I highly doubt this will get the support it needs in Congress. Presidential requests don't matter any more.
    No I just mean in general the gov has shit on the NASA budget for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    How to inhabit it, how to set up a colony to use as a forward base for further exploration of the nearby solar system. How to eventually leave Earth and settle elsewhere before Earth becomes uninhabitable.

Plenty of reasons.
    Plenty of reasons that we can make up, but what are THEIR reasons?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Do you agree with this or think it's a waste of money?
    It's a joke "thought" by a joke of a resident. This pathetic attempt to look "presidential" is just another failure in a long line of failures on his part.

Even is someone gave him information to read up and determine what a practical time line would be to land on the moon, he wouldn't read it (by his own admission), and therefore this is just another garbage statement from a place of ignorance. In other words, another day ending in y.

I'd rather launch Trump to the moon, that would be a meaningful achievement.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's NASA. Those would be their reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    People will still attack Trump for this
    I won't. On the off chance he does manage to land someone, man or woman, on the moon, I'll give him credit for getting at least one thing right.
    Putin khuliyo

Now i'm going to be disappointed if the first woman on the moon isn't named alice

Whose reasons? NASA or the administration?

For NASA it's in the job description. For the administration, it's cheap political posturing that cannot really be seriously challenged by the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    There are plenty of very good reasons to send people to the Moon. Here are just a couple.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-3
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...re_of_the_Moon (The Moon is geologically active. There's a lot to learn about the internal functioning of planetary bodies, we need to install a network of modern seismometers, get drill samples etc.)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_...atform-Gateway

Returning to the Moon is essential. It is also essential we make it there before the Chinese do, who might catch up in this area a lot faster than we expect.

And beyond that, the even more important reason of pushing the boundaries of our scientific understanding and technological capabilities. Pure science should be a reason in and unto itself, because tremendous benefits always follow, often in unexpected and unpredictable ways.
    None of those are good reasons to send people to the moon.

Finally, his vision is being realized.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Knowing Trump, he probably meant with an uppercut like Archie Bunker.
    Wow...wrong show. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by kichigaijin View Post
    Wow...wrong show. Try again.
    Yep, I was already corrected. Thanks, it's not like I even watched those shows! I was just trying to be funny. Obviously it blew up in my face.