no day and night cycle in classic?

so i've been watching both shrouds and asmongold's stream, and for both, its "night time" for them in real life, and more importantly, in game, but it looks like day light in game. you can see the little moon and stars in the upper right corner on the mini map but the game still looks like mid day brightness. no night sky, no darkness. can anyone confirm if they are removing night time from classic like they did retail?

edit:
    comparison
    shrouds stream screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/kFyvqeK.png
    vanilla: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6hwS_B0qKQ

edit#2:
    jumped on the alarmist bandwagon to soon. its gotten dark: https://i.imgur.com/l3S2R0N.png
    appears to take awhile for it to kick in. after watching amonsgold for 3 hours when it should have been getting dark, and it wasn't dark, i paniced. i've been missing night in retail for so long i just got scared lol.
    Last edited by muffinss; 2019-05-16 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Vanilla was much brighter even at night. The exceptions were Felwood and duskwood.
    wat? No.... it was dark like fuck. And that was removed in a later expansion. Which is what gave birth to all those "Vanilla Dark Nights" threads...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinss View Post
    so i've been watching both shrouds and asmongold's stream, and for both, its "night time" for them in real life, and more importantly, in game, but it looks like day light in game. you can see the little moon and stars in the upper right corner on the mini map but the game still looks like mid day brightness. no night sky, no darkness. can anyone confirm if they are removing night time from classic like they did retail?
    So what is the time on the server? Are the streamers in the same time zone as the server? Just asking, I haven't watched but I think day/night cycles are based on the server clock.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Vanilla was much brighter even at night. The exceptions were Felwood and duskwood.
    You didn't play classic then.
    It was insanely dark back then, as dark as the dark potions you can buy from the faire

Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    It was insanely dark back then, as dark as the dark potions you can buy from the faire
    No, it really, really wasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Factsbeforefeelings View Post
    Amazing link, thanks for posting. Now, let's compare the screenshot of Lakeshire there:

To this one I took on BfA (view distance is turned down):

and to this one WITH the Inky Black Potion on (view distance still turned down) to dispel this myth that the potion makes the game as dark as Vanilla was:

Now before arkanon comes in to troll, claiming I'm editing these screenshots; there's a real simple way to check this out yourself. Log into the game and go to Lakeshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    wat? No.... it was dark like fuck. And that was removed in a later expansion. Which is what gave birth to all those "Vanilla Dark Nights" threads...
    Yeah. I remember both of those threads. Hope it gets dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    No, it really, really wasn't.
    It wasn't as dark as the potion. But it was darker than it is on live now (even though I think it was in Legion or start of BFA they partially brought back dark nights, just not as dark as they used to be.)

It wasn't as dark as the potion. But it was darker than it is on live now (even though I think it was in Legion or start of BFA they partially brought back dark nights, just not as dark as they used to be.)
    Some zones are darker on BfA than they were in Vanilla, some are brighter. Dustwallow Marsh is much brighter on BfA and Elwynn Forest is slightly darker.

Vanilla on the left, BfA on the right:

Look at the screenshots. It is objectively darker in at least some areas now. Don't rely on your memory, as it will betray you and is in fact standing behind you with a knife right this moment.

As for the beta, they might deliberately have turned it off for now.

People use different contrast, brightness and gamma settings so comparing screenshots isn't ideal. Wanna darker world? Just turn gamma down ingame.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Look at the screenshots. It is objectively darker in at least some areas now. Don't rely on your memory, as it will betray you and is in fact standing behind you with a knife right this moment.

Which side are you defending right now? Because my answer will change depending on that. Dark nights in WoW rank like this (in order of darkest):

1. Inky Black Potion
    2. Vanilla
    3. Live (after Legion fix)
    4. Pre-Legion fix, post-removal

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post

Ah I saw the other post now. I see what you mean. That is indeed possible, yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I assure you I did, I guess it's just been over 10 years and I forgot.
    There's been a lot of that going around. Soon we won't have to remember.
    /s