Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    So I've noticed that a lot of WoW streamers sell their custom made weakauras. They do this by requiring you to be subscribed to their channel in order to use and download them ($5). So clearly that this isn't considered RMT for whatever reason, I feel like this is a grey area.

What if I were to obtain their weakauras and I could start giving them out for free to the public. Would this be allowed? I have Sloot's weakaura and it's a pretty decent weakaura. However I don't like that you have to pay him money in order to use it, so I was thinking of just posting it somewhere public like Wago so everyone can use it.

What do you guys think ?
    If you bought their weakaura and gave it out for free, it would be permitted.

It is against Blizzard's ToS to claim payment for addons - that is at least why Zygor had troubles at a point. Hence they are hidden behind, "subscribe to us" in this case.

Even more at so, if you did, just share it as you want. So what. It is an addon to a game they don't own.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

What would be even better would be to take a good weak aura from Wago.io or from WA discord and promote it among your friends rather than enlarge an E-celeb ego by pirating "his" WA.

That's exactly the same as wearing a metal band shirt, you don't do it for the quality or the price of the cloth, you do it to signal your music taste : "I like this bend enough to pay my shirt 5 time the regular price for a piece of coton". You wouldn't buy or print counterfeited shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Why should it be free? He spent time creating something. You're too lazy to do the same. He charges 5$ for it. Take it or leave it.

Welcome to 2019 where everyone is used to free stuff because reasons.
    In theory I would agree, but it becomes complicated when what you create is contingent on other products which come with their own licenses. He's not offering an original, standalone creation - he's offering something that is contingent on another program. This is not an uncommon situation in the computer world. Many programs/platforms have licenses specifically designed to address this - a free program may, for example, stipulate that users are allowed to modify it or create additions to it only under certain conditions, one of which might be that they do not charge for their creation.

I'm no expert on the license agreements in effect here (implicitly or explicitly), but I would not be surprised if both Blizzard and the creators of WeakAuras stipulate that derivatives and additions to their products can only be handed down under certain conditions, and that money changing hands as part of that service is specifically excluded.

WA code is useless without WA, or without WoW. That contingency creates a licensing situation that may be violated in this case. However, it's legally a very tricky thing. Many high-end guilds, for example, have been known to employ the services of dedicated coders to create custom addons/WAs for them - something which, I'm sure, they're not just doing for free. Is that legal, though? It technically might not be. Or it might, under some interpretations that don't actually see the code itself as being the object of the transaction, but rather consider the service of creating it as what is being remunerated. Interestingly, what this means is that there would be no claims to any rights to that code - once that service is completed, the code itself is under the free license of the platform. That means you could redistribute it under that same license, i.e. free and openly.

And that's exactly what I would encourage everyone to do. Share all the WA codes these people "sell" (directly or indirectly) on as many platforms as possible. Put them on Wago. Put them on Reddit. Link them in Discords. WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO ABOUT IT? I could not see any way whatsoever for them to actually make a legal claim for intellectual property. And it would undermine something which quite frankly reeks of shady and exploitative business practices.

If I were to share Sloot's weak auras in this thread, would that be allowed ? He has some really good tank weak auras.
    Last edited by Poe; 2019-05-16 at 10:32 AM.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

If I were to share Sloot's weak auras in this thread, would that be allowed ? He has some really good tank weak auras.
    If you have respect for the creator who spend hours/days making these WA you just don't share them. Don't be a d**k

Quote Originally Posted by Lintgamer View Post
    If you have respect for the creator who spend hours/days making these WA you just don't share them. Don't be a d**k
    This has nothing to do with respect. This is the fact that they are profiting off of a free addon. Like I said earlier, this is borderline RMT. They are offering something that is used in game for real money.

I won't share it on this thread (since im not sure if it is against the rules of this site) but if anyone wants these weak auras, feel free to PM me. I will give them out for free, like they should be.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

I'm honestly surprised Blizzard hasn't "done a Bethesda" and offered a way for people to sell their addons via an in game shop.

I guess the only thing really stopping them are legal issues.

1) What if the API changes and stops addons working? They'd have to be a lot more conservative with how they make changes, and currently addons are very brittle at the best of times.

2) What if somebody uploads somebody else's work? How do you make sure your store isn't full of stolen assets from chancers?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the fact that they are profiting off of a free addon. Like I said earlier, this is borderline RMT. They are offering something that is used in game for real money.
    You should grow up and also get a job since it hurts your soul so much to support a streamer with 5 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    You should grow up and also get a job since it hurts your soul so much to support a streamer with 5 bucks.
    You're missing the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're missing the point.
    You are the one delusional enough to imagine they make some kind of fortune because of weakauras or that most people sub only because of that.
    You are just immature and salty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fools and their money are easily parted with, i don't even understand why people who subscribe to a channel but i suppose once you are suckered into doing that, the leap to spending money on goods they sell digital or otherwise is not that great.

I find it highly disrespectful to those who maintain and develop weak aura's but it's not that i expect a sense of respect from people who literally whore themselves out behind a camera every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    You are the one delusional enough to imagine they make some kind of fortune because of weakauras or that most people sub only because of that.
    You are just immature and salty.
    I'm subscribed myself to some of these streamers otherwise I wouldn't be able to give away their weakauras.

This is actually quite an interesting situation.

The addon itself is free which complies with Blizzard ToS, whether a script created using the addon but isn't required to use the addon needs to be free is an interesting point. As someone has already said, Blizzard seem fine with them doing it so I imagine the scripts aren't part of the ToS requirement.

So the question becomes, who has authority over the scripts, is it the person who created them or the person who created the addon used to create them? I believe it would be the addon author but only if he created his own ToS saying that you can't use his software to create premium scripts that people have to agree to before download.

Since that doesn't seem to exist, then the streamers are within their rights to do what they're doing so the question becomes who has ownership/does copyright apply to the scripts and would Poe be at any risk for sharing it?

That's all just stuff to think about and way more in depth than the situation needs to be. I highly doubt in reality you'd get in any trouble for doing it outside of pissing off the streamer.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    By that logic shouldn't any outside program from WoW not be able to make money from something in WoW? I mean, AskMrrobot requires a sub to use its better optimizing programs. Why shouldn't streamers be able to sell their own code if people are willing to pay for it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Just Windows users having no idea about free software and their licenses. I would report this to blizzard.
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post
    Addon developers maybe, but this is talking about people writing script inside other peoples' addons and selling their custom scripts (Weakauras specifically in this case) while the addon maker doesn't make a dime from it which isn't cool. The developer of the addon makes nothing but the person writing a custom aura in their addon can monetize it? Pretty dumb.
    I haven't read but if it is* there.

Then that's what licenses are for. And you can go to court with these if there were any.

AFAIK, you can't download a linux distro and then start selling it on your own accord for any amount of money because then you'd be in direct violation with the licensing agreement you agreed to earlier.

Implement something along the lines with the addons and there you go.

In fact, some of them probably actually have them but they're sort of not publicly thrown in your face to press a yes or no dialogue with. I mean, some of the programmers have public git repos, where there are actual licenses IIRC.
    Last edited by Huzzaa; 2019-05-16 at 01:07 PM.

I think the intent here is the key word.

Do you honestly think he gets his Subs from people who are desperate to get his WA? I don't.

In my opinion it's more likely it's a bonus for supporting him. as in: ''Hey thank you for supporting me here is something in return! Have fun''.

By this point he is not selling his WA he is giving them out as a token for appreciation to the subscriber if he wants them. The same way others Streamers give out Christmas cards to their subs who send them their address, Shirts for Patreons etc. It's something they personalize and share after you showed you care enough for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Why should it be free? He spent time creating something. You're too lazy to do the same. He charges 5$ for it. Take it or leave it.

Welcome to 2019 where everyone is used to free stuff because reasons.
    Did you even read the blue post from blizz TOS about addons bro ? Is it fair? most likely not, but are they breaking the tos by selling WAs? yep.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magnosh View Post
    I think the intent here is the key word.

Do you honestly think he gets his Subs from people who are desperate to get his WA? I don't.

In my opinion it's more likely it's a bonus for supporting him. as in: ''Hey thank you for supporting me here is something in return! Have fun''.

By this point he is not selling his WA he is giving them out as a token for appreciation to the subscriber if he wants them. The same way others Streamers give out Christmas cards to their subs who send them their address, Shirts for Patreons etc. It's something they personalize and share after you showed you care enough for them.
    I lol`d. Ofc its an incentive for people to sub. Its also a reward, perhaps, but for sure its put out there for people to sub for the addons/WAs. I did that myself to DrJay. I only subbed for the UI/addons/WAs i wouldnt sub to him otherwise. But i didnt give them away even tho i got DM`d from alot of people for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    Did you even read the blue post from blizz TOS about addons bro ? Is it fair? most likely not, but are they breaking the tos by selling WAs? yep.

- - - Updated - - -

I lol`d. Ofc its an incentive for people to sub. Its also a reward, perhaps, but for sure its put out there for people to sub for the addons/WAs. I did that myself to DrJay. I only subbed for the UI/addons/WAs i wouldnt sub to him otherwise. But i didnt give them away even tho i got DM`d from alot of people for it.
    You are like robin-wood then

They get away with it because they are not charging specifically for the WA. Take Sloot specifically, you can download the WA for free if you know the URLs for them. he is charging for access to the sub only discord channel which houses said WA.