Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xpose View Post
    They get away with it because they are not charging specifically for the WA. Take Sloot specifically, you can download the WA for free if you know the URLs for them. he is charging for access to the sub only discord channel which houses said WA.
    The URLs for Sloot's WA are private are the only way to get them is to subscribe or get someone who is already subscribed to send you them.

https://puu.sh/Dt4MZ/4eebc5b79a.png

He's charging for the WA, let's not twist words here. The subscriber only part of the discord is sub only for the very purpose of these WAs.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    The URLs for Sloot's WA are private are the only way to get them is to subscribe or get someone who is already subscribed to send you them.

https://puu.sh/Dt4MZ/4eebc5b79a.png

He's charging for the WA, let's not twist words here. The subscriber only part of the discord is sub only for the very purpose of these WAs.
    What's kind of silly is... even other versions of his weakauras by other people are hidden behind the sub channel.

He really isn't even charging just for his weakauras, but hundreds of them created with his template, so i guess he's charging for the template?

isn't everything involving addons suppose to be free? pretty sure it's in the tos. you might be able to report these people and get them banned.

15+ Year Old Account
    Report it to blizz and they will stomp on em.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I always wondered why using WeakAuras to tweak and change your UI in ways beyond the normal game files is allowed, but editing player models is a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I always wondered why using WeakAuras to tweak and change your UI in ways beyond the normal game files is allowed, but editing player models is a bad thing...
    Because it's using assets from within the game, and you're not really doing anything crazy.

Changing models isn't allowed MOSTLY because it would open a can of worms on doing things like making gathering nodes really big and easy to see, or altering other models in a way that affects gameplay. They honestly don't care if you make your characters boobs bigger, but you can't allow one without the other.

Clearly this is considered okay by Blizzard, especially considering Sloot (to continue your example) and other streamers have been doing it for years now without any reprecussions. I'm pretty sure Sloot wouldn't be invited to cast the MDI if they had any kind of issue with him charging sub for his weakauras. He's put immense effort in to his weakauras, and even though I'm not a fan of his weakauras in particular, I absolutely think he should be allowed to restrict them to sub only. It's your right to disagree, but you could just make your own weakauras and share them for free if you think his effort isn't worth paying for. It's kind of a "don't be a scumbag" kind of think, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    Clearly this is considered okay by Blizzard, especially considering Sloot (to continue your example) and other streamers have been doing it for years now without any reprecussions. I'm pretty sure Sloot wouldn't be invited to cast the MDI if they had any kind of issue with him charging sub for his weakauras. He's put immense effort in to his weakauras, and even though I'm not a fan of his weakauras in particular, I absolutely think he should be allowed to restrict them to sub only. It's your right to disagree, but you could just make your own weakauras and share them for free if you think his effort isn't worth paying for. It's kind of a "don't be a scumbag" kind of think, right?
    It hasn't been going on for years, charging for WA is a fairly recent thing. Sloot had free weakauras up until BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Good luck with that, blizzard has said that Zygor is fine before. As long as the addon is free charging for the script is fine.
    Paying for a script within an addon is clearly a "premium mode" which violates the rules published there. Blizzard may choose not to enforce the rule, but it still breaks the rule.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

This has nothing to do with respect. This is the fact that they are profiting off of a free addon. Like I said earlier, this is borderline RMT. They are offering something that is used in game for real money.

I won't share it on this thread (since im not sure if it is against the rules of this site) but if anyone wants these weak auras, feel free to PM me. I will give them out for free, like they should be.
    Still they deserve some money - they made some work and charging for it. We can argue is it against ToS, or should add-ons be paid, but that's just common sense. Believe me, if you invent smth you will definitely want to get profit from it.

No it's not. Selling an addon goes against the TOS. Selling your creative use of the addon (script) does not. Nothign is stopping you from making your own script within the addon.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    Paying for a script within an addon is clearly a "premium mode" which violates the rules published there. Blizzard may choose not to enforce the rule, but it still breaks the rule.
    A rule that's not enforced ceases to be come a rule, just like dumb laws that are still on the books in some areas that are never enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    You should grow up and also get a job since it hurts your soul so much to support a streamer with 5 bucks.
    "You should get a job to support someone who doesn't have a job."

Uh... sure.

Maybe the streamer should get a job to support me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Fools and their money are easily parted with, i don't even understand why people who subscribe to a channel but i suppose once you are suckered into doing that, the leap to spending money on goods they sell digital or otherwise is not that great.

I find it highly disrespectful to those who maintain and develop weak aura's but it's not that i expect a sense of respect from people who literally whore themselves out behind a camera every day.
    I find it highly disrespectful that you're reading my content on mmochamp forums without paying me for it. I do a lot of work writing these comments and you have failed to properly compensate me for that work.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    They are not the creators of the software though, blizzard is (lua). I am pretty sure that what they are doing is illegal and i wouldn't be surprised if blizzard sues them.
    Don't be dense. They created the specific WA. What you're saying is akin to saying that people shouldn't be able to see software because they didn't create C or C++ or Swift or whatever language they used to build the software. What's next, woodworkers can't sell they things they craft because they didn't grow the trees?

Stay in school kid.

"You should get a job to support someone who doesn't have a job."

Uh... sure.

Maybe the streamer should get a job to support me.
    Streaming is a job as much as hosting the news, or acting is. If the streamer didn't have a personality people didn't want to watch, they wouldn't make any money.

So I've noticed that a lot of WoW streamers sell their custom made weakauras. They do this by requiring you to be subscribed to their channel in order to use and download them ($5). So clearly that this isn't considered RMT for whatever reason, I feel like this is a grey area.

What if I were to obtain their weakauras and I could start giving them out for free to the public. Would this be allowed? I have Sloot's weakaura and it's a pretty decent weakaura. However I don't like that you have to pay him money in order to use it, so I was thinking of just posting it somewhere public like Wago so everyone can use it.

What do you guys think ?
    Make your own WA simple, some of these auras have taken days/weeks to get it the way they want it and you expect to get it for free, someone has put many hours of work in sorting out a weak aura that suits them so there is nothing wrong with asking for a sub for access to the script.

For example you wouldnt do an hours paid work and then give it to someone else would you.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So I've noticed that a lot of WoW streamers sell their custom made weakauras. They do this by requiring you to be subscribed to their channel in order to use and download them ($5). So clearly that this isn't considered RMT for whatever reason, I feel like this is a grey area.

What if I were to obtain their weakauras and I could start giving them out for free to the public. Would this be allowed? I have Sloot's weakaura and it's a pretty decent weakaura. However I don't like that you have to pay him money in order to use it, so I was thinking of just posting it somewhere public like Wago so everyone can use it.

What do you guys think ?
    Imo I think its cheap they do this, selling weak auras for cash lol
    Well if you wsnt to spend that money its up to you, if you are handing it out eventually, its only bad for the streamer who sells it (so who cares)
    I dont even know if its allowed to sell sonething like this legally.

But I think its lame to sell them.in general, lots of websites provide them for free. The custom part is probably to sell more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Streaming is a job as much as hosting the news, or acting is. If the streamer didn't have a personality people didn't want to watch, they wouldn't make any money.
    So what kind of health insurance does Twitch provide, or are they breaking the law?

So what kind of health insurance does Twitch provide, or are they breaking the law?
    They're not employed by twitch... many jobs in the US don't require providing health insurance either.

Working under full time, contract labor, etc. I'm betting an Actor/Actress pays for their own insurance since they're technically contract laborers, they work on a per movie/show basis and not a set schedule.

Twitch streamers have to pay taxes just like the rest of us though, and it's a pain in the ass, can you imagine the taxes shroud pays on his 40-50k subs?

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Make your own WA simple, some of these auras have taken days/weeks to get it the way they want it and you expect to get it for free, someone has put many hours of work in sorting out a weak aura that suits them so there is nothing wrong with asking for a sub for access to the script.
    Addon developers also put many hours of work and they aren't allowed to charge anything for them