Poll: Would you join Sylvanas' 3rd Faction

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Would you join a 3rd Faction lead by Sylvanas

** Fun idea thread, do not take this too seriously **

We all know the possibility of splitting/adding new factions is low, but I think it's fun to discuss nonetheless. For the sake of the thread, let's assume 3rd faction has systems in place to work for gameplay, like PVP/Raids/WorldPVP etc.

So let's assume Sylvanas splits off from the Horde and goes on her own path, giving an option to leave the Horde (and maybe Alliance) to join her.

Would you join her on her crusade?

-Edit- Emphasizing the bolded part.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2019-05-16 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Where is the poll? Sounds like there should be a poll.
    If you plan to add one, please give different poll answers for Alliance and Horde.
    The polls options here are always set up after a post is made. I blame the system :P

5+ Year Old Account
    Yes and No?

My main is and will always be Horde. Sylvanas would treat the living races the same way Garrosh treated non-orcish ones. My characters would have no reason to follow her, even if it was out of loyalty because she shows none to us. I'd only join a third faction lead by her if she had exclusive races, since I don't like duplicate characters or race/faction swapping.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

The population is split up enough as it is making a 3rd faction would just complicate finding groups and times to do things. If something like this were to happen it would tip the scale to quit.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    I'd only join a third faction lead by her if she had exclusive races, since I don't like duplicate characters or race/faction swapping.
    I think that's completely understandable. I think there is an automatic expectation that any 3rd faction would be comprised of new races and not just existing characters.

But I think players are an envious bunch, and I wanted to avoid 'grass is greener' to avoid any bias for joining a 3rd faction just for the shinies. I wanted to focus this on Sylvanas and the way the story has been moving forward. I agree with your assessment that she is not showing us loyalty, but I also think she is a strong leader despite her 'villainous' side. Unlike Garrosh, she's still got a strong following behind her IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    The population is split up enough as it is making a 3rd faction would just complicate finding groups and times to do things. If something like this were to happen it would tip the scale to quit.
    For the sake of the thread, let's assume 3rd faction has systems in place to work for gameplay, like PVP/Raids/WorldPVP etc.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Well, given that Orcs are the master race and the Horde is the master faction, I would not.

5+ Year Old Account
    Of course, playing the evil faction can be quite fun, actually. As a matter of fact, many RPGs allow you to choose either a "good" or an evil path - and it rocks! It would be far better than this schizophrenic depiction of.the Horde as either a bunch of misfits who band together in order to resist an already established, more powerful enemy, on one hand; and on the other, a homicidal band of lunatics who literally burn babies alive. And it always comes out of the blue, with no reasoning behind it.

It is getting quite tiresome, it's well past time for writers to get their !@#& together and weave a coherent narrative for both factions.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Why would Sylvanas split from the Horde? Thrall, Saurfang, Baine, Lor’themar and the rest split from the Horde, not her.

Either way, right now I’d take Sylvanas over every other Horde leader. I still want her dead, but I want the others dead first.

If there was a third faction with no relation to the Alliance or Horde and their leaderships I’d consider joining that. Depending on what it’s like.

Right now I feel like I’m caught between three shitstorms (Alliance, Horde and Traitors) with no real way out. So I keep on marching with the shitstorm I hate the least.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2019-05-16 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I think that's completely understandable. I think there is an automatic expectation that any 3rd faction would be comprised of new races and not just existing characters.

But I think players are an envious bunch, and I wanted to avoid 'grass is greener' to avoid any bias for joining a 3rd faction just for the shinies. I wanted to focus this on Sylvanas and the way the story has been moving forward. I agree with your assessment that she is not showing us loyalty, but I also think she is a strong leader despite her 'villainous' side. Unlike Garrosh, she's still got a strong following behind her IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

For the sake of the thread, let's assume 3rd faction has systems in place to work for gameplay, like PVP/Raids/WorldPVP etc.
    If that is the case why switch? RP reasons, seeing unique quests? Does this mean all groups can do things together? This also seems like something Blizzard would want to charge for if not are they making all faction switching free now? At the end of it I don't see any benefit or reason to switch and plenty of reasons not to or concerns if something like this happened.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Would largely depend on what the faction would be about etc

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Of course, playing the evil faction can be quite fun, actually. As a matter of fact, many RPGs allow you to choose either a "good" or an evil path - and it rocks! It would be far better than this schizophrenic depiction of.the Horde as either a bunch of misfits who band together in order to resist an already established, more powerful enemy, on one hand; and on the other, a homicidal band of lunatics who literally burn babies alive. And it always comes out of the blue, with no reasoning behind it.

It is getting quite tiresome, it's well past time for writers to get their !@#& together and weave a coherent narrative for both factions.
    This is what I feel as well.

With the reinvisioned Horde in WC3/WoW, we kind of lost the Evil Faction option. Even with Undead being added, everything is done for altruistic reasons. I think having Sylvanas split off into what the Forsaken was represented in WC3 would be an interesting option to take.

I'm traditionally an Alliance player, but even Anduin's become too good-two-shoes for me. It's way too sugary sweet, and I miss the desparate feel of the Alliance having to band together to survive whereas now they're simply one of two Superpowers in the world. With a 3rd faction, the Alliance and Horde have to keep on their toes at all times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Naw fuck that hoe....really no thank you. I don't want to fight for a leader like her....your life depends on how creative she gets during a battle. It's like working for the umbrella corporation, if you ain't Hunk your gonna die.

5+ Year Old Account

If I were to choose based upon leadership and action I'd choose her. Even if things got bad, I'd likely be more satisfied following her extremism than stagnating in the Horde/Alliance. She has accomplished much, so imagine how much she could do with a truly strong force wholly supporting her? I'd be interested in seeing what she could do and how far it'd take her.

Characters like her, Garrosh, Illidan, and Arthas are just a lot of fun. They may not last long, but their impact is massive.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    If that is the case why switch? RP reasons, seeing unique quests? Does this mean all groups can do things together? This also seems like something Blizzard would want to charge for if not are they making all faction switching free now? At the end of it I don't see any benefit or reason to switch and plenty of reasons not to or concerns if something like this happened.
    It may be a bit of a lacking concept, but I want to avoid persuading people to vote to leave their faction because of shinies. So for the sake of argument, yes it would be for RP reasons, at the very least having the option to join a different faction that is not Alliance or Horde. This isn't limited to just converting your main, but if you would leave your main faction to play a fresh-rolled character under Sylvanas.

I understand your concerns though, especially if you are looking at this from a game design perspective. However there's so many factors to game design that we could spend an eternity discussing and reach no common point. Ideally, it would be akin to 3-faction warfare like in Planetside or a theoretical Starcraft MMO. Outside of this generalized concept, I don't want to dig deep into the minutia of the problems of a 3rd faction in general; this is more about the Lore/RP/Thematic aspects of a 3rd faction and feelings/thoughts behind it.

I agree that there is little incentive for Alliance players to defect though, especially if they have no reason to. I simply kept the option open to avoid any bias.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2019-05-16 at 05:13 PM.

What about "Yes, but i would continue to play both Horde and Alliance also"?

Quote Originally Posted by duselsteiner View Post
    What about "Yes, but i would continue to play both Horde and Alliance also"?
    Heresy! No triple-crossers allowed :P

10+ Year Old Account
    ** Fun idea thread, do not take this too seriously **

We all know the possibility of splitting/adding new factions is low, but I think it's fun to discuss nonetheless. For the sake of the thread, let's assume 3rd faction has systems in place to work for gameplay, like PVP/Raids/WorldPVP etc.

So let's assume Sylvanas splits off from the Horde and goes on her own path, giving an option to leave the Horde (and maybe Alliance) to join her.

Would you join her on her crusade?

-Edit- Emphasizing the bolded part.
    I think that alone would be an amazing idea for an expansion.

Hear me out.

The expansion starts off with the Third Faction led by Sylvanas warring with the other 2 for control of Azeroth.

With Nzoth freed and the other Old Gods about to be resurrected, her forces of Dark Rangers, Undead minions fight for The Frozen Throne alongside the other 2 factions.

This is where you have the option of creating a character within that 3rd faction, The Dark Ranger being the new class introduced in the expansion.

The difference here is that the "3rd faction" only lasts an expansion itself... by 9.3 the third faction is dispersed somehow within the other two, to prepare for the final battle...whatever that may be.... Towards the end, the remaining 3rd faction forces choose which side to join. (I would be excited to have like an undead warrior fallen choose to join the Alliance after Sylvanas' story line progresses.

In that case....yes.

....I would join the faction, take part in amazing gameplay mechanics within WoW, and fight for Sylvanas as a dark ranger.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Why would any Alliance player willingly join Sylvanas? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    Why would any Alliance player willingly join Sylvanas? Lol.
    There isn't much incentive but there's always the possibility of an Alliance player looking for a dark faction to roll for that isn't the Horde. I mean technically right now, if they wanted to join Sylvanas they could already roll Horde and do so, but I wanted to keep all options open and not muddle both side's opinions as Y/N.

I'm not going to sugarcoat anyone's decision to stay or leave, that's really up to players.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    As someone who has played both factions on and off throughout my WoW career, sure. Would I quit the other factions to join it? No.