Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If anything that $5 should go to the actual developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    If anything that $5 should go to the actual developer.
    2.5-3 dollars* twitch isn't a charity, they take their cut too.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    2.5-3 dollars* twitch isn't a charity, they take their cut too.
    The subscription is their payment. The WA is just a configuration they did. The WA has nothing to do with twitch and is a side thing. I get that saying "Subscriptions allow you to use my UI." It's selling someone else's work. Would you not have an issue if you made an addon for wow, someone changes the color and says their viewers can pay for it? Especially if it's already free, that's pretty dumb.

It hasn't been going on for years, charging for WA is a fairly recent thing. Sloot had free weakauras up until BfA.
    It has, Fragnance had sub-only weakauras back in early/mid Legion. He wasn't the only one at that time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Except that WA is under a free licence agreement. By using WA to create and sell they are breaking the law. Why should one type of criminal profit and others not? OP would actually be honoring the licence agreement. OP is in fact obligated to either report to the authorities or release the WA.
    Pretty sure this isn't correct. WeakAuras is under the GNU GPL, which has no stipulations on what can be charged.

To clarify, "free" has two different meanings when referring to FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) projects and typically refers to "free" as in "freedom". See here for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    That's not the point. The point is we need to stop people from profiting off something that should be free. Imagine if every addon creator in wow charged you $5 to download their addon. It's absurd.

- - - Updated - - -

Wago isn't the only place I can publicly give out weakauras. That was just an example.
    They are profitting off of their time. People are paying for the work done and the knowledge to set these things up. While I understand thinking paying for a ui is dumb and it is at best in the grey area for tos. The idea that people should hust give things away is some entitled nonsense. Good luck being the Robin Hood of UI though, the bards will sing your songs.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

They really should just stop Addons being usable, simple solution that fixes a tonne of issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    So what kind of health insurance does Twitch provide, or are they breaking the law?
    Twitch doesn't employ the streamers. In fact they charge them a percentage of what they make to use their platform. They are closer to a landlord than an employer when it comes to streamers.

Quote Originally Posted by ssviolett View Post
    Still they deserve some money - they made some work and charging for it. We can argue is it against ToS, or should add-ons be paid, but that's just common sense. Believe me, if you invent smth you will definitely want to get profit from it.
    I'm subscribed to Sloot and others because I enjoy their stream content That's where their money should come from. Outright charging money in order to access an addon is wrong and that's why I think I should be giving his weakauras out for free to anyone who requests them from me.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Good god. OP deserves to get his own post on /r/choosingbeggar.

Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    It has, Fragnance had sub-only weakauras back in early/mid Legion. He wasn't the only one at that time.
    Fragrance has always been kind of an asshat, pretty sure he was advertising for boost services too. Charging has only been a problem recently.

Fragrance has always been kind of an asshat, pretty sure he was advertising for boost services too. Charging has only been a problem recently.
    Charging has never really been a problem, and what you or I think of Fragnance is completely irrelevant to the topic. There's an abundance of great weakaura suites for every single spec out there available completely free of charge. If you have an issue with subbing for weakauras you have plenty of choices. I don't sub to a single WoW streamers and either make my own weakauras (for my main and my guild) or import public weakauras from wago. Why is this even a topic that gets people so riled up? Do you really feel entitled to be able to use something that someone else has spent days working on completely free of charge?

I'm subscribed to Sloot and others because I enjoy their stream content That's where their money should come from. Outright charging money in order to access an addon is wrong and that's why I think I should be giving his weakauras out for free to anyone who requests them from me.
    How is this any different from any other sub perk? That includes sub-only raids, sub-only chat, sub-only discord etc. The list goes on. Do you think everyone should have access to that too, even though those who sub are the ones who make it possible for him and other streamers to provide full time daily content for us to enjoy on Twitch?
    Last edited by Arainie; 2019-05-16 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post

How is this any different from any other sub perk? That includes sub-only raids, sub-only chat, sub-only discord etc. The list goes on. Do you think everyone should have access to that too, even though those who sub are the ones who make it possible for him and other streamers to provide full time daily content for us to enjoy on Twitch?
    Sub only chat and sub only discord are fine because neither of those have any use in game. Sub only raids/ sub only in game events are borderline RMT though and Jdotb was going on a rant about that on twitter and on stream.
    https://twitter.com/watch_jdotb/stat...64341720354818
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Twitch doesn't employ the streamers. In fact they charge them a percentage of what they make to use their platform. They are closer to a landlord than an employer when it comes to streamers.
    Right. And if there is no employer, then there is no job.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Sub only chat and sub only discord are fine because neither of those have any use in game. Sub only raids/ sub only in game events are borderline RMT though and Jdotb was going on a rant about that on twitter and on stream.
    https://twitter.com/watch_jdotb/stat...64341720354818
    You seem to be very anti people making money. Are you mad that these people are making money on playing games and you can't or something?

Signature Created by Jassinta

Techniquely streamers are not employees instead they are classified as contractors and thus evades the healthcare requirement after x number of employees
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

They are their own employer. Do you think busines and brand owners don't have jobs? Another example the guy that does my landscaping and pool services employs himself, I will let him know since he doesn't have a noss he doesn't have a job. When some of these streamers and youtubers make 6 to 7 figures you might want to rethink things.

So I've noticed that a lot of WoW streamers sell their custom made weakauras. They do this by requiring you to be subscribed to their channel in order to use and download them ($5). So clearly that this isn't considered RMT for whatever reason, I feel like this is a grey area.

What if I were to obtain their weakauras and I could start giving them out for free to the public. Would this be allowed? I have Sloot's weakaura and it's a pretty decent weakaura. However I don't like that you have to pay him money in order to use it, so I was thinking of just posting it somewhere public like Wago so everyone can use it.

What do you guys think ?
    I think you might be a communist and it is definitely reasonable for someone who creates something to sell it. It is also reasonable for me not to buy what they create. That's how things work.

In my experience the vast majority of people who think everything should be free have never actually done or created anything that anyone else wanted. There are exceptions but that is the general rule.

It definitely seems to be against Blizzard's rules as posted on the first page, but as someone that makes a living by freelance work thanks to a skill I've honed (and struggled a lot when first starting out) I feel for addon makers that spend time creating without being able to profit from it at all.

I think at the very least, addons should be able to say "If you like <addon name> consider donating at <link>." It can be unobtrusive like a small box that pops up once when you log in or even just a line in the settings window.

Quote Originally Posted by seleri View Post

I think at the very least, addons should be able to say "If you like <addon name> consider donating at <link>." It can be unobtrusive like a small box that pops up once when you log in or even just a line in the settings window.
    One did. Got shot down real fast.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.