Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    Classics going to be no different dude. Like I said, this literally means nothing. It's going to have a large following now, by the end of next week at the latest it will drop like a rock. Launch might have a decent number, but same thing. It literally means nothing.
    So it's either classic overthrows fortnite or its a bust to you lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    So it's either classic overthrows fortnite or its a bust to you lol?
    No, it literally means nothing period. When the world first race was on, WoW was legit first on twitch for a while. Did that suddenly mean BFA is a successful expansion? No. When wildstar first came out it had large viewers for the first few days. Game is dead now. Monster hunter world has far outsold more copies than any entry in the series history and it was never fortnite levels of viewers. Does that mean monster hunter world is a failure? Fuck no. Classic could have 140k people watching it. Classic could have 10k watching it. It LITERALLY means nothing.

You know what does mean something? How many people are playing that game after the first few months.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    No, it literally means nothing period. When the world first race was on, WoW was legit first on twitch for a while. Did that suddenly mean BFA is a successful expansion? No. When wildstar first came out it had large viewers for the first few days. Game is dead now. Monster hunter world has far outsold more copies than any entry in the series history and it was never fortnite levels of viewers. Does that mean monster hunter world is a failure? Fuck no. Classic could have 140k people watching it. Classic could have 10k watching it. It LITERALLY means nothing.

You know what does mean something? How many people are playing that game after the first few months.
    Its going to be no different than retail, the playerbase is going to vary wildly depending on the patch content. When will it mean something to you? When the naxx patch hits or AQ gates open and classic is miles ahead of fortnite in viewes, does that matter? Or are you gonna talk about a month after that and the playbase dwindling some?

You are the type of guy that isnt worth replying to, and that is something i need to do better lol.

Actually the launch is far more important
    Meh. I'd be surprised if the classic launch weren't met with something absurd like 2m+ players. And yes, every game loses a substantial part of its playerbase rather quickly. But when it comes to f2p or subscription based games I'm pretty sure long-term engagement is more important than day hype.

Its going to be no different than retail, the playerbase is going to vary wildly depending on the patch content. When will it mean something to you? When the naxx patch hits or AQ gates open and classic is miles ahead of fortnite in viewes, does that matter? Or are you gonna talk about a month after that and the playbase dwindling some?

You are the type of guy that isnt worth replying to, and that is something i need to do better lol.
    I hope you are just trolling him and not that retarded. He/she is just pointing out that twitch viewers mean nothing, you need an actual playerbase.

The classic fan base will blindly defend classic no matter what. If it had only a thousand players, these people would still defend classic and call it a success.

The delusion some of these people have is boarding on religious or cultish levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    I hope you are just trolling him and not that retarded. He/she is just pointing out that twitch viewers mean nothing, you need an actual playerbase.
    Twitch is an absolute juggernaut today, thinking that twitch views does not coincide in some way with how healthy a game is is incredibly short sighted. Amazon didn't plop down a billion dollars on a whim, twitch is only going to get bigger as time goes on.

Not trying to rain on a parade or anything but...did anyone expect less initial hype? There's been plenty of games that have made #1 on twitch for a select period to later being forgotten.

Not saying that's what will happen to Classic but this is not the greatest measurement of predicting how successful it will be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    The classic fan base will blindly defend classic no matter what. If it had only a thousand players, these people would still defend classic and call it a success.

The delusion some of these people have is boarding on religious or cultish levels.
    And there are just as many swearing it will fail even if it holds "successful" numbers. The specifics of successful will vary from person to person.

I don't understand why there's such an extreme bias of one side or another with this game. People asked for it, Blizzard is providing. Whoever enjoys it will have a game to play.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

It is a good sign of what's to come and I agree it's impressive how well beta is doing, I would think classic WoW is boring to watch compared to modern MMOs.

Twitch still isn't the be all end alll way to measure how successful a game is though, the definitive metric for that is cold hard cash.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Not trying to rain on a parade or anything but...did anyone expect less initial hype? There's been plenty of games that have made #1 on twitch for a select period to later being forgotten.

Not saying that's what will happen to Classic but this is not the greatest measurement of predicting how successful it will be.

- - - Updated - - -

And there are just as many swearing it will fail even if it holds "successful" numbers. The specifics of successful will vary from person to person.
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not O.o. The naysayers for classic are far far more widespread than people like myself who expected millions at launch.

And lets not pretend this is some new release of a AAA game that appeals more to the younger twitch audience, this is a 1-30 beta of a 15 year old game....it being the top watched game on twitch is absolutely incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    As others have said, it's a stupid metric to measure the popularity of a game. Some games are fun to watch. I enjoy playing WoW (usually) but find that watching someone stream it is uninteresting. For just about anything PVE it's a slower sort of game with a fair amount of down time between stuff that happens.
    It is an accurate gauge to measure interest. Not all people who watch will play, not all people who play will watch. However, it rebuffs the arguments from 2015-2017 around how interest in Classic is just a small group of loud (other less kind adjectives) players who only want to play a free version of WoW.

For those who’ve been on the receiving end of that rhetoric, this number feels like validation.

To your point though, it’s not a measure of longevity. Unsure what the BfA BETA numbers were but remember they were similar. 6 months into the game and it’s not pulling that same interest on Twitch (roughly 10,000 from my observations which are limited).

- - - Updated - - -

This appears to be a deeply ironic statement. Akin to a “glass half full, glass half empty” argument where each side considers the other to be irrational to the point of mindless.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    And there are just as many swearing it will fail even if it holds "successful" numbers.
    Yeah, there are those people. I don't think Blizzard will release subscription numbers to prove either of us right.

The specifics of successful will vary from person to person.
    But the definition of success in business doesn't rely on subjective opinions. Either it does well for the company or it doesn't. If they take the servers down in a year or two, we will then know for a fact that it isn't successful.

I don't understand why there's such an extreme bias of one side or another with this game. People asked for it, Blizzard is providing. Whoever enjoys it will have a game to play.
    If you think I have an extreme bias, you're clearly reading my posts incorrectly. Maybe because you have the delusions that I mentioned earlier. It's better for Blizzard to succeed here than not. As fans of quality games, we have to band together behind the makers. I don't support the release of classic, but I support the company. I'd rather play a remastered game like War3 or a new installation of one of their IPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    This appears to be a deeply ironic statement. Akin to a “glass half full, glass half empty” argument where each side considers the other to be irrational to the point of mindless.
    Ah, but do you even know what side I'm on? Or is this your delusional biases speaking? Hint, I don't care if you have classic. I find it funny that people blindly assert this will be the best thing ever and guaranteed to succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    It is an accurate gauge to measure interest. Not all people who watch will play, not all people who play will watch. However, it rebuffs the arguments from 2015-2017 around how interest in Classic is just a small group of loud (other less kind adjectives) players who only want to play a free version of WoW.

For those who’ve been on the receiving end of that rhetoric, this number feels like validation.

To your point though, it’s not a measure of longevity. Unsure what the BfA BETA numbers were but remember they were similar. 6 months into the game and it’s not pulling that same interest on Twitch (roughly 10,000 from my observations which are limited).
    Yes! Well said.

It seems many folks on this board are forgetting that new games are released every day, and very few reach top 20 in Twitch views.
    Twitch is basically free advertising for Game Devs now.
    Classic WoW just got a huge amount of exposure.
    People who would have otherwise not known about its upcoming release now know.
    The hype train is only going to grow.
    Push it to the limit

#NoCollusion
    "The Special Counsel did not find that the Trump campaign, or anyone associated with it, conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in these efforts, despite multiple. offers from Russian-affiliated individuals to assist the Trump campaign."

Also: it's already dropped below 50k viewers. Again, It means nothing either way, but pretending 141k peak is a massive success when it's already lost the majority of its viewerbase in less than 8 hours is high levels of delusion.

yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!

Within the MMO-Genre, developers have lost sight of what made WoW popular, so they emulate concepts from the game which don't really capture the audience who want to play MMO's.

This is the first game since 2004 to really capture the spirit of team based progression at a large scale. There just are such logistical challenges that you don't deal with in any other game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurthos View Post
    Within the MMO-Genre, developers have lost sight of what made WoW popular, so they emulate concepts from the game which don't really capture the audience who want to play MMO's.

This is the first game since 2004 to really capture the spirit of team based progression at a large scale. There just are such logistical challenges that you don't deal with in any other game.
    Well, actually you're wrong. Wildstar had 40 man raiding with attunements at an equally large scale, so if classic is team based progression then that was team based progression too.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not O.o. The naysayers for classic are far far more widespread than people like myself who expected millions at launch.
    There are way too many posts in this site others that show plenty of both.

And lets not pretend this is some new release of a AAA game that appeals more to the younger twitch audience, this is a 1-30 beta of a 15 year old game....it being the top watched game on twitch is absolutely incredible.
    For many, this will practically be a new game. Many other remastered classics have had their shining moments. Do you not remember the response Blizz got when Classic was announced? The surprise many had after years of saying "Not it won't happen"? That coupled with popular streamers playing Classic pretty much guranteed it will be top viewed on Twitch. For how long? Depends on the streamers.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, there are those people. I don't think Blizzard will release subscription numbers to prove either of us right.
    True

But the definition of success in business doesn't rely on subjective opinions. Either it does well for the company or it doesn't. If they take the servers down in a year or two, we will then know for a fact that it isn't successful.
    Financial success, it just has to make a profit. Expected success, that's where it will vary from person to person. If 10k users makes it decent income, is it a success? I'm sure many would call it a flop. Again, the definition changes depending on who you ask.

If you think I have an extreme bias, you're clearly reading my posts incorrectly. Maybe because you have the delusions that I mentioned earlier. It's better for Blizzard to succeed here than not. As fans of quality games, we have to band together behind the makers. I don't support the release of classic, but I support the company. I'd rather play a remastered game like War3 or a new installation of one of their IPs.
    Didn't point out your, just the general state of the WoW community. It seems to be either excitement or complete doom-gloom.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    I'm super stoked for classic, but can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to watch other people play it. To each their own I guess /shrug
    Why would anyone watch others play football (soccer) when they can just go outside and play themselves?

This the same Classic that had empty servers by the second day of Blizzcon? You know, that big first hands on event that allowed people to stream the demo. I mean, call me crazy, but I'm going to wait a couple of months after launch to see how things are going for Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    No it doesn't, it merely shows curiosity for something that's new and talked about a lot.
    New you say?

Want confirmation? Look at Apex during February and look at it a month later.
    Do a small research. Most of the streamers were paid for palying it live.
    If i am not wrong Ninja got 1mil $ for single night of streaming...

The value of classic will be determined based on how many people are actually still playing it after a month.
    I would say 3-4 months. 30 days is probably too small amount of time to determine it.