Pitting Classic vs. Retail is Stupid

Title says it all. Anyone rabidly going on and on about how Retail sucks or Classic sucks, or Classic will blow retail away in player count, etc etc, is a foolish, elitist, loser.

Classic succeeding is good for Retail. Retail succeeding is good for Classic. Their player bases are mutually inclusive.

That is all.

I woulndt say classic suceeding is good for retail, realistically its going to pull at least some away from retail.

But to be honest id say it makes retail developers look really bad that a game from well over a decade ago has more hype and interest than the modern game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhila View Post
    But to be honest id say it makes retail developers look really bad that a game from well over a decade ago has more hype and interest than the modern game.
    Would disagree with this. Nostalgia is a powerful force - and not just among the people who are actually experiencing the nostalgia, but in the way it spreads to others... "If everyone says this was so amazing I gotta see what was so good about it!"

The true test will be whether Classic can attract and retain new and returning players past the first month or two. If it does, then the devs working on the main game should be worried.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Nostalgia can be a good thing but also the opposite. It goes in all aspects of life, not only video games. People automaticly forget the bad parts and only remember the good ones. I think that is what is gonna happen with classic. In beginning it will be “oh i so missed this”
    But after a while the things that made classic bad will start seeping in. And then you will have the video game that was ok in 2005, in 2019 where the complete market changed. Only a few die hard older players will keep in classic i think after 6 months.

I really hope they learn from Classic and why people love it so much.
    Maybe try get the retail version closer to what made WoW so fun in the first place.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zensunni View Post
    Title says it all. Anyone rabidly going on and on about how Retail sucks or Classic sucks, or Classic will blow retail away in player count, etc etc, is a foolish, elitist, loser.

Classic succeeding is good for Retail. Retail succeeding is good for Classic. Their player bases are mutually inclusive.

That is all.
    Ofc it is stupid. Those games are basicly just two differernt games and both have their own player base. Classic is dedicated for OLD players or for those who want to taste calssic because they never played it but mostly for old player base.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrja View Post
    I really hope they learn from Classic and why people loved it so much.
    Fixed that for you.

Didn't you know you aren't allowed to like what I don't like!?

You're right, but WoW has a way of making people addicted which leads to them being obsessed with being "right".

Quote Originally Posted by Khrux View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Classic is a current game, im not talking about old vanilla wow. People love it, yesterday proofs my point

Quote Originally Posted by Leih View Post
    Would disagree with this. Nostalgia is a powerful force - and not just among the people who are actually experiencing the nostalgia, but in the way it spreads to others... "If everyone says this was so amazing I gotta see what was so good about it!"

The true test will be whether Classic can attract and retain new and returning players past the first month or two. If it does, then the devs working on the main game should be worried.
    Not many Vanilla Players understand the concept of nostalgia, nor 'rose tinted glasses.' I've got a feeling that it will boom for a few months, perhaps a year, but will quickly simmer down to a dedicated few. Lets be honest.. people are going to get bored of playing the same game for months and years. And by the same game I mean same game, no patches, no expansions. The same thing for god knows how long. Eventually you'll beat everything, do everything and then what? Demand that they do a BC launch? WotLK? Restart the entire franchise?

I have a feeling that most people that never played Vanilla nor did any research on it will quickly drop off after they realized the hype of classic players came from nostalgia. They'll miss the countless improvements the game has made both in quality of life and interface and revert to current WoW.
    "Honor, young heroes. No matter how dire the battle, never forsake it."
    Varok Saurfang

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    It's not that strange thoughis it? They appeal to completely different markets at this point.
    Classic Players are not the same kind of player as those who enjoy BFA. BFA bores me to tears in two hours, while in classic I can re-do Westfall for the 20th time and still have a worthwhile experience. Because the game isn't broken by a decade of snowballing effects.

The day I read that Classic has more concurrent players at peak times than BFA will be a funny day indeed.
    While BFA is all about maximizing MAUs, Classic actually pulls you in and keeps you wanting to come back.

Classic = Diablo 2
    BFA = Diablo 3
    Completely different games with the same root.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2019-05-17 at 09:08 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

"New is always better"
    -Barney Stinson

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrja View Post
    Classic is a current game, im not talking about old vanilla wow. People love it, yesterday proofs my point
    Honestly, its more like "people think they love it", but I fully expect that love to subside quickly in the majority of players once they actually get to experience all the ugly sides of classic, and not just the rose-tinted version they have in their mind.

As such, I don't expect a significant number of players will actually remain active on classic after the first wave of excitement, maybe 3 months or so considering how slow everything moves in it.
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2019-05-17 at 09:13 AM.

It's good for blizzard, not for players who exclusively play one of them. Classic will more than likely kill retail WoW.

Its fucking stupid to pin these 2 games against each other. Its obvious that they are completely different games at this point, appealing to different audiences who might still play both versions. Its actually a huge win for both sides. Classic did put WoW back on the map as of yet, looking at the Twitch numbers from last night which were around 140k last time I checked.
    Last edited by McNeil; 2019-05-17 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zensunni View Post

That is all.
    I wouldn't necessarily agree they're mutually exclusive (perhaps I am an outlier?), but I agree with the spirit of your post. I enjoyed Vanilla/TBC a lot, but I also enjoyed the current iteration of WoW in the past couple expansions, both for some different reasons and some the same. The social aspect and the exclusivity/prestige associated with gear and raiding etc. was enjoyable, the ease of play in the current format is enjoyable, but the raiding in both is the motivation for me.

Both succeeding would be good, but here's hoping neither product loses any investments because of the others success.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Honestly, its more like "people think they love it", but I fully expect that love to subside quickly in the majority of players once they actually get to experience all the ugly sides of classic, and not just the rose-tinted version they have in their mind.

As such, I don't expect a significant number of players will actually remain active on classic after the first wave of excitement, maybe 3 months or so considering how slow everything moves in it.
    Sure, I agree. But that's why the content will rollout in phases. I think we can see Classic as a new kind of expansion. People love it in the beginning with lots of things to do, get bored after a while and stop. Then a patch comes out and some people come back and give it a go. We have to see these phases in Classic as some kind of new patches where people will come back to try it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't really like game vs. game threads, which this is in a way, so this will be closed.

There's not really anything much to discuss.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."