Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    I love how many people comment on threads like this who never actually played Vanilla.
    I think I was the only one who said I didn't play, lol. I've seen Vanilla raid videos and did that content at level 70, I remember that BC raiding was a lot more difficult and it wasn't just due to scaling. In the MC videos made during Vanilla there were DPS who would spam 1-2 abilities for most of the raid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    The only solution to this is to have 1-2 raiding days a week. And have at least 50 raiders in the guild.

The number of guilds won't be many. But they will be very active.
    I think there will be weekend raiding guilds. If people actually like Classic enough to get to level cap then I think raiding guilds will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    I don't think we are disagreeing? I don't understand what your statement has to do with finding 40 players.
    we didnt just invite anyone to have bodies to fill the raid. we had a 40 man raid and a 20+ man bench of the best players on the server, and hundreds applying every week. im just saying the good guilds didnt have to invite scrubs to raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Prozach View Post
    I remember how difficult it was on a 30k server and I don't anticipate many full servers still cruising along six months after launch. My fear is that there will be zero room for 'casual' raiding guilds (those that spend a half year in MC/ZG and then creep their way through BWL for another six months--if they even finish).
    You can do Molten Core with 25 people knowing what's going on and the other 15 being wand mages/locks or cloth wearing warriors. So if you get 30 people knowing what's up then you should be ok to grab 10 wanders. May take you longer to clear it but it's doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    But it's not a paying job.
    You missed my point, when I say "paying Job" I mean the expectation to give a large chunk of your life towards the effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

I think the big issue honestly will be the number of servers. I'm not super impressed with the population numbers on private severs (one YTer talked about a survey that said something around 100k players) and I suspect that Blizzard will create more servers than necessary. Meaning that some servers will have a thriving population for raiders and some will be deserted wastelands. Faction balance will probably be another issue.

Vanilla is going to be a nostalgia trip that any decent player will quit after a couple months. You could probably get together 40 middle aged baddies to raid vanilla raids, which ironically will accurately reproduce the skill of the average raider at that time, but very few progression oriented people will stick around for the shit-show.

People have zero problem on private servers to get 40 guildes to raid, there are 30 odd guilds raiding on one server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    You missed my point, when I say "paying Job" I mean the expectation to give a large chunk of your life towards the effort.
    Exactly. The pool of people that can invest that kind of time, for free, is not particularly large.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Exactly. The pool of people that can invest that kind of time, for free, is not particularly large.
    Which is why MMO popularity is overall in decline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Which is why MMO popularity is overall in decline.
    I think people are, overall, misjudging the landscape of video games these days. Back in the mid 2000s it was seen as a lot more "normal" to dump one's life into long, grindy multiplayer games where you practiced/raided/whatever for days for peanuts. The vast majority of gamers these days no longer seem to care about such things.

like this:

Quote Originally Posted by mehow2g View Post
    People have zero problem on private servers to get 40 guildes to raid, there are 30 odd guilds raiding on one server.

A FREE private server.

WoW classic is not going to be free.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I think people are, overall, misjudging the landscape of video games these days.
    Definitely are, was going to make a comment about how it is likely that Classic is going to be less popular than private servers for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Definitely are, was going to make a comment about how it is likely that Classic is going to be less popular than private servers for that reason.
    yup. they arent offering a better service than what private servers offer, so i dont think will hold people's attention for long.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I did it because I was 20 and worked two nights a week so I had heaps of time to pour into shit. Heaps of people now have that much time to do shit so they will do it again.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Key thing is to always be recruiting. If they keep servers consolidated, guilds who are not actively recruiting even when they have a full roster will struggle to compete.

A solid 80% of the people who raid won't clear AQ or get anywhere past spider wing in naxx and for those people raiding can be way more casual than anything mythic in retail offers. You can raid 1 day a week and see the vast majority and honestly eventually (if you at least have a push day) all content vanilla has to offer on a LONG enough time scale. Getting 40 people together is the hardest part of the task sure but vanilla naturally promotes guild's, people seek out guild's and have a strong desire to join them. Handling the drama is the real raid boss of vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    The average age of a wow player back then was 28. They had jobs and families back then cause they weren't millinials
    You got any source on that stat?

10+ Year Old Account
    A FREE private server.

WoW classic is not going to be free.
    OH NOES? Its not free? Fuck! How am I supposed to raid if its not free ??? Theres magical forcefields holding your hands stopping you from raiding after you sub for classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    I think people are going to realize there is a reason 40 man raids went away. It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc and varying schedules that will make it a challenge to have the work/life schedules of 40 people align for several hours several days per week.

If nothing else it will be like Everquest raids where you have a ton of people but not a core due to schedules, but the *guild* can raid, not necessarily all the people in it. That way if 10 people have| plans, you have 10 more ready and available.
    I don't really get this, people in modern WoW raid some ridiculous hours, even casual guilds on my realm (back in Legion at least, haven't checked for BFA) raid like 18ish hours almost. Did people not have jobs in 2004?

The biggest issue is how little loot there is, people aren't used to that and it'll cause drama or not motivate people to play.

I'm also somewhat worried about lower end raiding like the OP, depending on the attitude most players have going into this, I think it's really important to be 60 around the same time the average player will be or you might struggle to find players later depending on how many of them quit.

7+ Year Old Account
    It really won't be if private servers have shown people anything.

It does mean there will be fewer but bigger guilds with bigger officer pools but it's hardly difficult. It's not like requirements to raid MC or Onyxia are high.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Hard no, long yes.