Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    What part of we stopped this year was hard to grasp? do you think the metric tons of trash we sent there for decades magically vanished after that. I know you hate it when I get snide but you walked right into this one.
    I did not realize when we stopped or even had ever sent it there. But you still have to admit, they must be just dumping the shit into their rivers. Which is still their fault. Not the US's. And I could not care less about any silly point system you seem to enjoy on here. lol!
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I did not realize when we stopped or even had ever sent it there. But you still have to admit, they must be just dumping the shit into their rivers. Which is still their fault. Not the US's. And I could not care less about any silly point system you seem to enjoy on here. lol!
    We are still sending trash to other parts of Asia to compensate for China closing their doors, we are currently in a mad scramble all over the west to figure out third world countries mostly in Asia to ship it to. This is a human problem not a China problem, we always bury, burn or throw our trash down the river refusing to build the infrastructure needed to properly sort and reuse it because of cost.

I know you guys on the right got your marching order evil China rawr but environmental issues are more complicated. You guys should stick to what you do best like forcing teenage victims of rape and incest to carry the babies of their rapist to term.
    Last edited by Draco-Onis; 2019-05-16 at 11:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We are still sending trash to other parts of Asia to compensate for China closing their doors, we are currently in a mad scramble all over the west to figure out third world countries mostly in Asia to ship it to. This is a human problem not a China problem, we always bury, burn or throw our trash down the river refusing to build the infrastructure needed to properly sort and reuse it because of cost.

I know you guys on the right got your marching order evil China rawr but environmental issues are more complicated. You guys should stick to what you do best like forcing 12 year victims of rape to carry the babies of their rapist to term.
    Do not try to change the subject. Stay on topic.

China is responsible for how that trash ends up if they took it from us, got paid for it and then did not disposed of it correctly and did it the cheapest way possible, which was dump it into their own rivers. They, China and other countries which do this are to blame. And not all the trash they dump into the rivers is from the US. They still produce a ton of the stuff themselves. The Mississippi River is not even listed in the top ten rivers for plastic pollution flowing into the Oceans. And what infrastructure would ensure the proper handling plastic wastes other than rec-lying it, burying it or burning?
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Do not try to change the subject. Stay on topic.

China is responsible for how that trash ends up if they took it from us, got paid for it and then did not disposed of it correctly and did it the cheapest way possible, which was dump it into their own rivers. They, China and other countries which do this are to blame. And not all the trash they dump into the rivers is from the US. They still produce a ton of the stuff themselves. The Mississippi River is not even listed in the top ten rivers for plastic pollution flowing into the Oceans. And what infrastructure would ensure the proper handling plastic wastes other than rec-lying it, burying it or burning?
    I specifically said the entire west and we knew they weren't going to deal with the trash properly we didn't want to deal with the trash properly. We have the technology to sort the trash and properly reuse it similar to assembly lines you can google it but it is still expensive and requires land to bury the stuff we can't reuse. This is a world problem not just China.

OT: If I was with the party for rape and incest I wouldn't want to talk about it either.

10+ Year Old Account
    I specifically said the entire west and we knew they weren't going to deal with the trash properly we didn't want to deal with the trash properly. We have the technology to sort the trash and properly reuse it similar to assembly lines you can google it but it is still expensive and requires land to bury the stuff we can't reuse. This is a world problem not just China.

OT: If I was with the party for rape and incest I wouldn't want to talk about it either.
    It is China and other Asians countries primarily who are dumping the plastics into the Oceans. I do agree it is something the world as a whole needs to work on. But those countries need to get their shit together fast since they are the major contributors. Makes no difference where the trash originated at if they have accepted it for money.

And you are just trying to stir up shit. There is a thread for that subject and I have discussed it there.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-05-17 at 12:08 AM.

It is China and other Asians countries primarily who are dumping the plastics into the Oceans. I do agree it is something the world as a whole needs to work on. But those countries need to get their shit together fast since they are the major contributors. Makes no difference where the trash originated at if they have accepted it for money.

And you are just trying to stir up shit. There is a thread for that subject and I have discussed it there.
    We don't have our shit together most of the west doesn't when it comes to trash and you expect third world countries who are desperate money to be on point?

Also it's very hypocritical for Trump (Captain pollution) supporters (destroy public landscape, dump toxic waste in water, loosen gas and mercury emission rules etc) to be calling out anyone on this topic.

Then how is the two top rivers mentioned for the amount of plastics being dumped into the Oceans in China, ( you know, geography. ) if we are not sending our trash to them as you said?

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure he even checked the link and understands geography that well. The top two rivers mentioned being used to dump the trash into, are in China.
    Yeah, this must be how high school teachers feel. I don't understand what's so hard to comprehend. Fucking participation trophy generation.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't have our shit together most of the west doesn't when it comes to trash and you expect third world countries who are desperate money to be on point?

Also it's very hypocritical for Trump (Captain pollution) supporters (destroy public landscape, dump toxic waste in water, loosen gas and mercury emission rules etc) to be calling out anyone on this topic.
    We have our shit together much better than those worse polluters.

I was not calling you out on the topic of this thread. I was calling you out on trying to derail it.

We have our shit together much better than those worse polluters.

I was not calling you out on the topic of this thread. I was calling you out on trying to derail it.
    We have it much better but the situation is still pretty bad overall and I am addressing the fact that people who support Donald Trump don't care about the environment so this faux outrage is laughable.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have it much better but the situation is still pretty bad overall and I am addressing the fact that people who support Donald Trump don't care about the environment so this faux outrage is laughable.
    This isn't true. But go ahead and let your hatred influence your thinking. You do not seem to be able to make much of any point without attacking those of a political party. It really is getting old.

This isn't true. But go ahead and let your hatred influence your thinking. You do not seem to be able to make much of any point without attacking those of a political party. It really is getting old.
    It has nothing to do with hatred but policy and Trump has implemented policy that destroy the environment ignoring experts and scientist from his own administration those are facts. If you support Trump you cannot say that you care about the environment.

Psshh, we'll just literally suffocate to death. Surely no reason whatsoever to do anything about this massive island of plastic that's grown larger than France.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has nothing to do with hatred but policy and Trump has implemented policy that destroy the environment ignoring experts and scientist from his own administration those are facts. If you support Trump you cannot say that you care about the environment.
    And yes, with your comments, you make it very clear it has a lot to do with hating Trump. Once again, a false assumption. I care about the environment. I was and still am, opposed to the Keystone Pipeline. Yet as a whole, I support the present President.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabric View Post
    Lol, I'm not triggered
    This is a lie.

you're talking nonsense, plastic that falls apart into tiny pieces of plastic faster is classified as biodegradable in the real world, I agree that your naive and idealistic views would be preferable but that's not the way the industry, researchers and legislators view such things.
    I have fuck all idea where you're getting this from, other than your ass. The literal DEFINITION of "Biodegradable" is an object that is capable of being broken down by microscopic organisms, so please do share the source of this complete bullshit asspull you made up out of thin air, yeah? Show me one credible moment of a researcher or scientist saying "biodegradable" in the sense of referring to plastic that simply breaks up into small pieces quicker. Go on, do it.

And yes there are microorganisms that can eat plastics (even meal-worms can eat polystyrene) BUT and there is a very big BUT here, it needs to be a realistic and feasible solution and so far it isn't ever close to being one, and it most likely never will become one. Because the space and time it takes to biodegrade the amounts of plastic we're using is unfeasible in even the most optimistic of projections.
    Source for this? Or is this another inane asspull that is not true at all, or at least an asspull that you have absolutely zero authority or credential to make such a brash and resolute claim about?

Spoiler: It is an asspull, and you are full of shit.

I know this because I own and partially run an investment organisation that looks to fund breaking edge research with an eye on creating a better and brighter future. And as such I come into contact with a lot of feasibility reports written by various experts, and plastics are a hot topic so those pass the review atleast a few times a month.
    This is a lie.

Being involved and passionate about a subject is a beautifull thing and maybe you should take that passion into the real world and do something with it because reeeing like a literal neckbeard in a online forum is one of the saddest existances a human can live in this day and age.
    You're triggered.

3/10, you at least gave it a try.

And for fuck's sake, if you're going to make up a blatant lie like I OWN A INVESTMENT FIRM WORKING ON THE CUTTING EDGE OF GREEN TECHNOLOGY11111, at least learn to fucking spell.
    Last edited by therealstegblob; 2019-05-17 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Snip
    Being ignorant is a choice. But as with most bad life choices it's not going to bring you anything positive.

"Two basic classes of biodegradable plastics exist:[2] Bioplastics, whose components are derived from renewable raw materials, and plastics made from petrochemicals containing biodegradable additives which enhance biodegradation."

The biodegradable plastics made from petrochemicals break down extremely slowly naturally, but the additives do and what remains is a lot of tiny plastic parts that'll require a long time to break down. In certain environments (as in a special tank with the right temperature and micro cultures) they can break down fast, but the same goes for bioplastics, many of those don't actually break down any faster than traditional plastics when thrown into the ocean.

At this point you're trolling on the level of a flat-earther. If you wan't to pop that bubble read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacies_of_definition
    https://www.mcdb.ucla.edu/Research/G...n_plastics.pdf

If you want to learn more you can also just go to wikipedia and look at the sources and educate yourself, most of it is free. As I said being ignorant is a choice.
    Last edited by P for Pancetta; 2019-05-17 at 11:20 PM.

And yes, with your comments, you make it very clear it has a lot to do with hating Trump. Once again, a false assumption. I care about the environment. I was and still am, opposed to the Keystone Pipeline. Yet as a whole, I support the present President.
    You don't care enough to remove your support so your "caring" counts for nothing, by supporting Trump you support the following.

- Ruled back offshore drilling safety rules put in place after the BP tragedy.
    - Install fossil fuel people at the EPA.
    - Attack both the clean water and clear air act.
    - Removed endangered species from the list to clear for fossil fuel executives.
    - allow toxic waste to be dumped in rivers and waterways.
    - Sharp increases in logging.
    - lower gas emission standards.
    - increase mercury in the air.

It's a long list so tell me again about how you "care" about the environment when he has the most anti-environmental policies yet you still stand by him.
    Last edited by Draco-Onis; 2019-05-17 at 11:32 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Psshh, we'll just literally suffocate to death. Surely no reason whatsoever to do anything about this massive island of plastic that's grown larger than France.
    First of all this isn't killing all bacteria. Secondly there's still many plants that produce Oxygen and vegetation is actually going up. Lastly this is fear-mongering, the amount of Oxygen consumed on Earth is so miniscule it would take a very very long time to run out of Oxygen. It's not even remotely an issue that is on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    First of all this isn't killing all bacteria. Secondly there's still many plants that produce Oxygen and vegetation is actually going up. Lastly this is fear-mongering, the amount of Oxygen consumed on Earth is so miniscule it would take a very very long time to run out of Oxygen. It's not even remotely an issue that is on the horizon.
    How "very long time"? A hundred years? A thousand?

I mean even if this particular element wasn't a concern it was only really the toxic icing on the cake after we were already poisoning the larger sea life en masse, corrupting their entire food chain.

The plastic is a problem we need to do something about regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabric View Post
    Being ignorant is a choice. But as with most bad life choices it's not going to bring you anything positive.
    Stunning life advice from a liar on the internet.

"Two basic classes of biodegradable plastics exist:[2] Bioplastics, whose components are derived from renewable raw materials, and plastics made from petrochemicals containing biodegradable additives which enhance biodegradation."
    None of this literally fucking answers what I told you to answer. You're beating around the bush because you said something wrong, you can't find a good way to defend it, and now you're trying to put words into my mouth and go off onto some side argument concerning things that don't fucking matter to the context of what I fucking asked you.

At this point you're trolling on the level of a flat-earther.
    This is projection.

Holy actual Fuck you can't be serious lol.

As I said being ignorant is a choice.
    I agree. As I am now choosing to becoming ignorant of any of your further posts; because I'm going to assume they're, on average, as useful as this pathetic, stupid and absolutely pointless exchange has been. Ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Snip.
    Your third post in a row without actual arguments, and now you concede this debate. A victory against ignorance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Again, outside of some micro-organisms, I highly doubt they can modify the composition of petroleum plastics to be more biodegradable, at least in an efficient way, but we can find alternatives in bioplastics, some of which are biodegradable and come from renewable resources that do not release carbon (like petroleum plastics do during degradation).
    Problem with most bio plastics good enough to replace conventional plastics is that if you throw them into the environment it won’t decompose any faster then conventional plastics. In order to compost them you need the right criteria, one of them being temperature. Traditional compost heaps do not reach the temperatures required to do this and another negative is that most of those plastics can’t be recycled and thus end up being burned or just buried alongside other thrash. Since most of these plastics do not burn properly they often add petrochemical plastics or use gas powered ovens to do it.

The reality of the situation is that one solution will not nearly be enough to fix this problem, what’s needed is for the entire process to change, if we only change a few parts of the chain all advancements that have been made will be for nothing when you reach the point that hasn’t changed yet.
    Last edited by P for Pancetta; 2019-05-18 at 01:57 PM.