Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    This is false dichotomy, they can be sold on both, they can be sold on neither.
    A steam key is still a steam key no matter where you obtain it from.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    A steam key is still a steam key no matter where you obtain it from.
    How is game sold on both Steam and EGS is "still a steam key"?
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

15+ Year Old Account
    How is game sold on both Steam and EGS is "still a steam key"?
    Context. Steam competes for publishers and not consumers. They do this by having games only on steam, like Borderlands 2. They give the illusion of competing with consumers by giving other stores the ability to sell a steam key. Obviously games can still be sold on both platforms. It already happens. Steam also has exclusives that no one bats an eye at.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Context. Steam competes for publishers and not consumers. They do this by having games only on steam, like Borderlands 2. They give the illusion of competing with consumers by giving other stores the ability to sell a steam key. Obviously games can still be sold on both platforms. It already happens. Steam also has exclusives that no one bats an eye at.
    You are free to prove that Steam has exclusive contract with 2K over Borderlands 2.
    As for why it's only on Steam so far, Borderlands 2 uses Steamworks for their multiplayer. I guess Gearbox are too lazy to rewrite net code.
    Looking for Raid.

15+ Year Old Account
    You are free to prove that Steam has exclusive contract with 2K over Borderlands 2. As for why it's only on Steam so far, Borderlands 2 uses Steamworks for their multiplayer. I guess Gearbox are too lazy to rewrite net code.
    You don't have to have a contract for something to be exclusively on a platform. If epic sticks around, and grows, Steam will likely start having contracts that limit platforms. They don't need to because of critical mass and being the only real distribution platform for most studios.

You don't have to have a contract for something to be exclusively on a platform.
    That's like saying that not spending money on charity is equal to personally killing starving people.
    Looking for Raid.

Its funny how you support a statement saying that competing for publishers is bad yet then go on to say steam needs to compete for publishers as well. The end user is not screwed for cost with exclusives because epic has yet to price anything above industry standards. The only other thing you lose out on is a profile to showcase achievements. The games will still have their own internal achievements if they want. But steam profiles, cards, badges, etc are really not that important in the grand scheme.
    You may want to re-read that more carefully. I said exclusives were bad for consumer, but (real) competition is good for the marketplace (all parties, but ironically least for the distributor, but still not negative). Epic should make the 88% cut a talking point and a reason to choose them over steam. That talking point loses all merits when they sign exclusivity deals because it removes the choice. Compete by offering the best deals, drawing publishers to you over your competitors (without exclusivity contracts), offering the most features in your platform, offering a better experience, etc. Steam should be forced to improve due to a real competitor, but they're not cause you cant compete with contracts without resorting to them yourself, then everyone loses.

And dont be so myopic/disingenuous that you spout the nonsense that "its just another launcher" or "you only miss out on achievements". You damn well know that there is a myriad of reasons steam is a better platform currently (feature-wise; content/experience is subjective). Although the meme-like checklist of features steam has epic doesn't is bloated and contains a few things that are inconsequential, there's a number of items that are important to one person or another, some being dealbreakers. This is all besides the huge security concerns.

You don't have to have a contract for something to be exclusively on a platform. If epic sticks around, and grows, Steam will likely start having contracts that limit platforms. They don't need to because of critical mass and being the only real distribution platform for most studios.
    Pretty sure you know the difference between something being contractually exclusive and something only appearing on one platform. The former is you CANNOT offer it elsewhere outside of the contract because you've been compensated for exclusivity (and the contractor [EGS] is free to charge whatever they want / handle it however they want for the length of it, as long as it abides by the terms set). The latter is free to appear on a platform if they appeal to the producer (say, had a lower percent take, or had better distribution market presence). That's not "exclusivity" as in a contract, it just means only one place is willing to sell or the producer only wishes to sell on one place for the time being / current conditions.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's like saying that not spending money on charity is equal to personally killing starving people.
    If you are the only major platform around people will be exclusive with you simply because. You don't need to force them. Most places that sell games sell steam keys instead of being a separate digital distribution platform. There are plenty of games that require steam in order to play. That is a platform exclusive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Razamith View Post
    The latter is free to appear on a platform if they appeal to the producer (say, had a lower percent take, or had better distribution market presence). That's not "exclusivity" as in a contract, it just means only one place is willing to sell or the producer only wishes to sell on one place for the time being / current conditions.
    I never said steam has exclusive contracts. It is still exclusive games though. There is nothing about the definition of exclusive that requires the word contract. Steam hasn't had to sign contracts because they are the major platform. Developers have little other choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Competition for customers is good for customers. Epics competes for Publishers.
    And how is this not them competing for customers?

Last checked EGS and Valve sell to customers not rocks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Razamith View Post
    Brig will never understand that. He is so focused on his hate for valve disregarding all factors to try and desperately paint EPIC in good light.
    Your so right, Me calling EGS a pile of shit is me painting them in a good light.....
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    You are either with us or against us! Yarrrrrrr! Callin it shit ain't enuff!

I love how these discussions always turns into a you are either one extreme or the other, a "fanboy" or a "hater", some Star Wars kind of shit always going on.
    Right.

What kills me is the fact we have Tim Sweeney on record saying if Valve went 88% (something I have said longer then he has) they would stop with the timed exclusive deals.

Yet somehow this is still EGS fault and not Valves/Gabes for being a greedy fuck. Publishers getting more $$$ (without the MTX bullshit) is a very good thing for the consumer.

But yet you get people like Yriel and Razamith who think's its all EGS's fault and Valve are saints.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    But yet you get people like Yriel and Razamith who think's its all EGS's fault and Valve are saints.
    Hypocryte. Maybe you should follow the advice you're pretending to be on the right side of:

I love how these discussions always turns into a you are either one extreme or the other, a "fanboy" or a "hater", some Star Wars kind of shit always going on.
    All my posts here (and elsewhere) say how much i'd like EGS to succeed if they fix things and calling on valve to fix their things too. Pot, kettle. I'm sure Myobi will call you out for this too ::eyeroll::

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing i'll backtrack on is I read your point #3 slightly wrong and thought i remembered you being a gungho EGS dude unwilling to listen to both sides and that was me being too assumptive; doesn't change the rest of the reply to which i disagree heavily with your opinion.
    Last edited by Razamith; 2019-05-17 at 08:36 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its sad how many people are so willingly trying to act like EGS can do no wrong despite a myriad of legitimate concerns and lack of features on the platform while they bitch about Valve taking too much of a cut from game sales while they defend paid exclusives despite it being bad for consumers and doesn't create actual competition.

The EGS apologists know that if a game was on Steam and EGS at the same time at release, it would sell better on Steam because of the user base and wide variety of features that EGS doesn't and won't have for a long time, so they have to keep pretending like there's actually competition going on when there isn't.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2019-05-18 at 05:35 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I absolutely agree, it’s truly sad to see these CEOs starving and going homeless, forced into such nasty deals just to survive, a truly legitimate concern truly deserving of some serious discussion.
    Keep on shilling for those CEO who don't give a single fuck about you, all they want is your money and have zero interest in anything but their profit margins and sating the greedy lust of investors.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ya know what company cares about making the most money? The company that has the most access to consumers, not restricting their product to singular platforms and services.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/...rst-ever-sale/

Games are now being pulled from the Epic store because of this sale. Probably because Epic didn't even inform these publishers that this sale was going on and they were losing fucking money from it. Developer first? I think not. Whoops. And Epic also likes to boast that their exclusives give their customers the most access.

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/stat...41438313312256

People do too many transactions in a short amount of time also get their accounts flagged as "fraudulent". Hmmm.. what would prevent that? Maybe something that you can put multiple games in so you can buy them all at once?

Edit: Oh yeah and Sweeney calling Paradox greedy for not wanting their game to be already 70% off when it's 10 months away from release.

https://www.gamingonpc.com/general-g...from-egs-sale/
    Last edited by Mister Cheese; 2019-05-18 at 06:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post

Games are now being pulled from the Epic store because of this sale. Probably because Epic didn't even inform these publishers that this sale was going on and they were losing fucking money from it. Developer first? I think not. Whoops. And Epic also likes to boast that their exclusives give their customers the most access.

People do too many transactions in a short amount of time also get their accounts flagged as "fraudulent". Hmmm.. what would prevent that? Maybe something that you can put multiple games in so you can buy them all at once?

Edit: Oh yeah and Sweeney calling Paradox greedy for not wanting their game to be already 70% off when it's 10 months away from release.

Yep epic doesnt give a shit abauth their game suppliers and they will just cut down their profit when placing game on sale. Makes those % less from steam non-revelant now.
    I wonder how many of them will abandon epic store (those that didnt get paid by epic).

What a shitshow from egs, hope fortnite dies soon and they run out of money for "exclusives"
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post

I wouldn't expect publishers to learn their lesson here. They care about sating the lust for money that is investors and that's the people they have to satisfy. No doubt they are contractually obligated to keep their games on the store, especially if they are paid exclusives, but they've dug their own graves. Also, I don't have any love for Paradox after they bought up Harebrained Schemes because their website is a pile of crap and I don't like their proprietary online services, but at least Battletech remains on Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    What a shitshow from egs, hope fortnite dies soon and they run out of money for "exclusives"
    Not a chance in hell.

Games actually rarely die, Hell Everquest is still going strong for nearly 20 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Not a chance in hell.

Games actually rarely die, Hell Everquest is still going strong for nearly 20 years.
    Fad will die pretty soon. Also since laws are catching up with a micro-trash and lootboxes, their profits will go down later even more. Its gona effect all the industry.
    2-4 years at least.