Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Trump's ICE director thinks he can tell which children will become gang members

Trump’s pick for ICE director: I can tell which migrant children will become gang members by looking into their eyes

Mark Morgan, the White House choice to lead Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said during a Fox News interview earlier this year that he can judge the likelihood that an unaccompanied minor will become a gang member by looking into that child's eyes.

“I’ve been to detention facilities where I’ve walked up to these individuals that are so-called minors, 17 or under,” Morgan said on “Tucker Carlson Tonight” in January. “I’ve looked at them and I’ve looked at their eyes, Tucker — and I’ve said that is a soon-to-be MS-13 gang member. It’s unequivocal.”

The comment surfaced Thursday as part of a broader review of his Morgan's public utterances by HuffPost. The outlet found Morgan notched nearly 100 television and radio appearances after a series of interviews with Tucker Carlson.

The view that unaccompanied minors are more likely to become criminals is unsupported by statistical evidence. Studies have shown immigrants — legal and undocumented — are less likely to commit crimes than native-born Americans.

Sanaa Abrar, advocacy director with the pro-migrant United We Dream, said Morgan's remark reflects the Trump administration’s broader efforts to target immigrant youth.

“The hateful rhetoric, it hits close to home for many of our members,” she said. “We have members of our own community who have been racially profiled and detained as a result of this administration’s policies.”

Morgan could not immediately be reached for comment, and the White House and ICE did not respond to requests.

Morgan’s comment echoed statements by President Donald Trump. During an event last year in Long Island, N.Y., Trump said unaccompanied minors “look so innocent,” but aren’t in reality.

Trump tweeted earlier this month that Morgan would become his new nominee to lead ICE. The White House pulled the nomination of the president's previous pick, Ronald Vitiello, during a broader Homeland Security Department leadership shakeup in April. Trump said at the time that he intended to go in a “tougher direction” with the ICE role.

The White House still has not issued a press release announcing Morgan’s nomination, and the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee has not scheduled a confirmation hearing.

During testimony before the committee in April — prior to his nomination — Morgan argued that unaccompanied minors could be recruited by violent gangs.

“MS-13 is one of the most violent and prolific transnational gangs the U.S. [has] ever seen,” he said in prepared testimony. “And the influx of minors into the country through the current crisis will provide them with unlimited vulnerable prospects.”
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...rector-1449570

One look in their eyes and he knows the future. Unequivocal!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Is it by skin colour?

The ones with the tattoos, obviously!

Its abit like me, i can tell by looking at the people standing at the Boralus mailbox who is noob, and who isnt.

Yes, it's painting people with a broad brush which you should never do.

However, some kids are much more at risk for joining gangs than other kids.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, I wish I had the super power to look in eyes and know something. My super power is eating tacos. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    And these are the people leading the USA.

Good job, folks!

Next position, the Foreign Affairs Ministers who know "someone is a wrong 'un because they have funny eyes", and the Financial Experts who can see the markets future using tea leaves, and the innards of a frog.
    no doubt his choice of words was definitely poor. but he’s probably more right than you want to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    The ones with the tattoos, obviously!
    I found that it is generally a good idea to stay away from people who have neck and face tattoos. Those people tend to show they make bad life choices.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xindralol View Post
    no doubt his choice of words was definitely poor. but he’s probably more right than you want to admit.
    How do you figure he’s right?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...rector-1449570

One look in their eyes and he knows the future. Unequivocal!
    And, by looking in their eyes, he really means by looking at the color of their skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    How do you figure he’s right?
    well let’s just say if you did a venn diagram for guys with tattoos and race / gang membership / ‘thuggish look’ you’d be in for quite a surprise.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xindralol View Post
    well let’s just say if you did a venn diagram for guys with tattoos and race / gang membership / ‘thuggish look’ you’d be in for quite a surprise.
    He didn’t say he was looking at tattoos he says he looking in there eyes.

Unaccompanied minors are more likely to be low income correct? Low income more likely to commit crimes?

- - - Updated - - -

He didn’t say he was looking at tattoos he says he looking in there eyes.
    “I’ve been to detention facilities where I’ve walked up to these individuals that are so-called minors, 17 or under,” “I’ve looked at them and I’ve looked at their eyes, Tucker — and I’ve said that is a soon-to-be MS-13 gang member. It’s unequivocal.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morgan
    I’ve looked at them and I’ve looked at their eyes, Tucker — and I’ve said that is a soon-to-be MS-13 gang member. It’s unequivocal.
    I stopped reading and burst out laughing here. I'm pretty fucking confident that this technique does not meet the standards necessary to be "unequivoval".

<Insert Princess Bride "You keep using that word" meme>

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    And, by looking in their eyes, he really means by looking at the color of their skin.
    And don’t forget their accent and texture of their hair
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Literally what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Unaccompanied minors are more likely to be low income correct? Low income more likely to commit crimes?

- - - Updated - - -

“I’ve been to detention facilities where I’ve walked up to these individuals that are so-called minors, 17 or under,” “I’ve looked at them and I’ve looked at their eyes, Tucker — and I’ve said that is a soon-to-be MS-13 gang member. It’s unequivocal.”
    Yet he never mentions tattoos and does mention there eyes. Your adding what you want him to have said but he never actually said it, it’s not about tattoos.

Yet he never mentions tattoos and does mention there eyes. Your adding what you want him to have said but he never actually said it, it’s not about tattoos.
    I'm not adding a thing, just bolding the part that says he looks at them. Them can include anything physically viewable. I'm not saying that's what he meant by it, just saying it's not as if he looks into their eyes only and can determine.

I wasn't aware the ICE director was Batman. I mean, children are a superstitious and cowardly lot.

I bet he thinks the answer is real easy and it has something to do with their skin color being darker than a piece of notebook paper.