Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    He has made quite a few ass hole comments
    Yeah true and his comment was not ok. But I think he’s gotten the memo. He seems to have pulled it back.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The guy in question was busy working to save human lives.

Musk was busy with a failed publicity stunt, to fool the gullible.

He already told Musk to shove his useless sub where the sun doesn't shine.

That's an insult - whereas Musk resorted to defamation.
    Fair criticism but that’s not how defamation works. Nothing Elon Musk said was presented as being as true or anything other than his opinion.

As I said it was way out of line. You can’t fucking sue someone for a comment like that. No reasonable expectations exist to that Elon Musk would know if said diver was a pedo or not. And him making an asshole comment doesn’t qualify.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I love space junk
    I love people who irrationally hate success. It's adorable.

- - - Updated - - -

We are heading towards an "the expanse' type universe rather than a "star trek" one. We arent going to have a society worth living in if we favour the same types as Thomas Edison
    Not if we follow what Musk and SpaceX are doing. Maybe you're thinking of someone else?

Selling snake oil again, i see... if he's such a genius, why hasn't he come up with decent broadband internet on fucking earth that is commercially viable. We really don't need more trash in space. Prove me wrong Elon, but we all know you won't.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I can accept "is a bit of a dick sometimes" as the tradeoff for "hop in, we're goin' to fucking MARS" and such.

If the worst that he does is occasionally call someone a pedo without justification, I think we're getting off pretty lightly.
    Agreed. He certainly went off the rails on that one, and he certainly paid the price, which is exactly how it's supposed to work (general comments, not aimed at you Endus).

But we also get a completely revitalized space launch program, years ahead of where anyone else is or will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    And if it works out we are going to have Amazon in space but worse.
    That would be. . . . pretty fucking sweet.

Go to the moon, order a cellphone battery because you forgot yours on earth, BAM delivered by a space man in an Amazon delivery capsule.

10+ Year Old Account
    We are heading towards an "the expanse' type universe rather than a "star trek" one. We arent going to have a society worth living in if we favour the same types as Thomas Edison
    I'd argue that Musk is a lot closer to Tesla's free-roaming visionary position than Edison's corporate abuse, to be utterly frank.

Also, the Star Trek future is one where innovation is generally suppressed as "risky". It's internally placid, but I don't consider that to really be a strength.

The alternative thus far has been "no one in space".

If SpaceX can do it, other competitors can spring up. Musk is the guy who gave away Tesla patents for free to encourage competition, after all. A competitive outreach into space is what gets us into in-system colonization and industry, which is the next big step for humanity's development as a civilization. Since government outreach stalled and basically died, I'm perfectly willing to let private industry pick up that slack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile most people suffer.
    Suffer from what? Epic internet and Amazon delivery service habitable zone wide?

Sign me up son.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah because investors were pulling out
    Yeah I think his actions had a lot more to do with that too. Something something about buying back stock. I’ll admit him smoking weed with Joe Rogan and basically talking out of his ass kind of made me wonder if the real life Tony Stark finally lost it.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    For someone with an ironic trump profile picture it is doubly ironic
    Yeah, I don't think you know what that word means. If you want to irrationally hate someone for being ground breaking a number of separate fields, have at it. Some people just gotta be haters, right?

How about we follow someone who isnt some rich ass hole?
    Sure - doesn't matter who leads, as long as they are succeeding. The only reason Musk was able to succeed, however, was because he was rich. But don't let all that pesky reality get in the way of a good old fashioned jealous hatred.

When it works, because it already has achieved a half dozen ground breaking milestones, having "Amazon" (I assume you're doing the ironic hatred thing and actually know that Bezos is the CEO of Amazon, not Musk) in space would be very good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'd argue that Musk is a lot closer to Tesla's free-roaming visionary position than Edison's corporate abuse, to be utterly frank.

Also, the Star Trek future is one where innovation is generally suppressed as "risky". It's internally placid, but I don't consider that to really be a strength.
    Not to derail, but I haven't heard that description of Star Trek before. Could you elaborate? I'm curious because Rodenberry's ST universe is usually described as a happy utopia-ish one.

The alternative thus far has been "no one in space".
    Lol don't bother. This guy is just a hater. No matter that Musk has been independently successful in four separate industries, and completely revolutionized space launch. He's going to ignore all that and just keep on with the negativity.

If SpaceX can do it, other competitors can spring up. Musk is the guy who gave away Tesla patents for free to encourage competition, after all. A competitive outreach into space is what gets us into in-system colonization and industry, which is the next big step for humanity's development as a civilization. Since government outreach stalled and basically died, I'm perfectly willing to let private industry pick up that slack.
    Exactly. Well put.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I love space junk

- - - Updated - - -

He has made quite a few ass hole comments
    It's not space junk, it's at too low of an orbit for that to happen. If they die or malfunction, they'll just fall back into the atmosphere and burn up on re-entry.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Musk: This is insane, but it will revolutionize countless things if people want it.

Haters: URGH! ME OOG LIKE STICK! MAKE STICK NOT NEW THING!
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Not to derail, but I haven't heard that description of Star Trek before. Could you elaborate? I'm curious because Rodenberry's ST universe is usually described as a happy utopia-ish one.
    First, for the sake of this, I'll pre-emptively state I'm talking entirely about the internal Federation itself, so my points stop at its borders; I'm not saying these things don't occur in Star Trek, just that they don't occur in the Federation.

In the Federation, there's no real conflict ever presented. You might get some disputes between colleagues, but even there, it's usually live-and-let-live. This is what I mean by "placid". You never see romantic partners yelling at each other because of stupid bullshit one or both did. Nobody ever faces consequences at work unless they're moustache-twirlingly diabolical to begin with. It's so pleasant and friendly I get a real knee-jerk Stepford Wives feel out of it.

Even Voyager set up to challenge that, by having a combined Maquis crew, and then for the most part just forgot about it except for costuming, aside from Bellana "I'm ANGRY because I'm HALF KLINGON" Torres, who was practically a caricature.

The one show that really challenged all this repeatedly and consistently was Deep Space 9. And rightfully so, IMO.

For the rest, there's never any internal conflicts between Federation members, really. No arguments, no professional disagreements that become feuds, no lies, no betrayals, it just feels like humanity's been neutered, and not in a good way. Like the whole society was lobotomized to remove "negative emotions", and lost all the high points, too.

Weirdly, ST: Discovery is actually doing a pretty decent job of countering this view, themselves.

You can take a utopia too far, and then it becomes immediately dystopic. See also Gattaca, Equilibrium, The Island, etc; when things seem too perfect, I start looking for the hidden darkness. To me, a proper utopia can't be one that quashes human individuality and expression; even when it sparks a little conflict here and there.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-05-17 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Fair criticism but that’s not how defamation works. Nothing Elon Musk said was presented as being as true or anything other than his opinion.
    You are 100% incorrect, as the judge found when he dismissed Musk's motion to dismiss.

You can also go back in previous threads on this forum, https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ies-Of-Tweets/ and see that people did believe him.

Similarly there were the gullible Musk-followers that believed that there was nothing wrong with Musk's tweet about Tesla going private and SEC couldn't do anything...

10+ Year Old Account
    You are 100% incorrect, as the judge found when he dismissed Musk's motion to dismiss.

You can also go back in previous threads on this forum, https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ies-Of-Tweets/ and see that people did believe him.

Similarly there were the gullible Musk-followers that believed that there was nothing wrong with Musk's tweet about Tesla going private and SEC couldn't do anything...
    Yeah nobody believed the guy was a pedo just cause Elon Musk said so.

Yeah nobody believed the guy was a pedo just cause Elon Musk said so.
    I linked evidence to the contrary.

And a judge found you wrong:

https://www.scribd.com/document/4094...dium=affiliate

So, stop spreading falsehoods.

10+ Year Old Account
    I linked evidence to the contrary.

And a judge found you wrong:

https://www.scribd.com/document/4094...dium=affiliate

So, stop spreading falsehoods.
    Nope still not defamation. He is obviously going to make a case but it’s going to fail. Unless they settle.

Nope still not defamation. He is obviously going to make a case but it’s going to fail.
    Similar statements that Musk will win as in
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...in-Tesla-Case/

Wrong then. If Musk were smart he wouldn't have built the useless sub, not tweeted defaming accusations, not repeated them to BuzzFeed and settled a long time ago.

So the launched happened and so far, everything seems to be going according to the plan.

But I saw this on Twitter.

And some people have seen it with their naked eyes.
    An astronomer has estimated that if all 12000 of them are launched, you'll be able to see about 50 of them in the night sky, any where, at any given time.
    I seriously hope later satellite designs fix it, Iridium fixed their flares... 20 years later.
    @Skroe

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    It's not space junk, it's at too low of an orbit for that to happen. If they die or malfunction, they'll just fall back into the atmosphere and burn up on re-entry.
    If that was true, which it isn`t, they`d require constant acceleration to negate friction of the atmosphere, and thus, fuel, which they`d inevitably use up eventually. That`s not what a satellite is, that`s a plane.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2019-05-25 at 10:29 AM.