Poll: Should family bussines be allowed to have their kids working

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is having your children work acceptable at a family business?

We have probably all been to a business or two where the young kids are working along side their parents. Their taking orders or making food. Working right beside their parents. By choice, its unclear. It begs the question, should this be allowed? Personally I don't think so. I was in a restaurant the other day and the kids were working after school instead of being able to just be kids. I think it happens far too often and needs to start being addressed. Sure, if they are 15 let them work if they want. But younger then that, and they shouldn't be there. It also needs to be by their choice, not being forced upon them.

This is talking from a legal perspective for the most part. Could also be ethical.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2019-05-19 at 01:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

7+ Year Old Account
    Of course it is acceptable for sole proprietorships. Not so much in public companies, such as a CEO hiring their kid as VP.

I agree that younger than 16 is not ok unless the kid really wants to and it's summer vacation or something, but forcing your kids to work because you're too cheap to fully staff is not OK.

If kids can do chores they can work.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Of course it is acceptable for sole proprietorships. Not so much in public companies, such as a CEO hiring their kid as VP.
    Wait, was the question "is it legal?" or "ethically oK?"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    If kids can do chores they can work.
    Mowing the lawn or washing dishes hardly compares to even a 4-6 hour shift.

It all comes down to their age, the jobs they are doing, how many hours and the times they are doing it. Some people will see it no different than having kids do chores at home, labor laws frequently conflict with how people do things with their kids.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Ethically speaking it could be acceptable if the kid truly has the qualifications and the hiring process is independent of the parent.

Are they getting paid a legal amount? That’s all that needs to be asked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    If the kids want to, sure, if they don't, fuck no, it becomes exploitation.

Not wanting to work is why so many millennials still live in mommy’s basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    Are they getting paid a legal amount? That’s all that needs to be asked.
    Beyond having all their expenses paid for until they're 18+, you mean? If the kids help with the business, that's more money for the parents to have to support said kids, as well. So in a way, they're making money for themselves as well.

More legal. Can also talk ethics about it as well. But legality is the main point. I could clarify that. Mostly because that is the only way they could try to step in and help

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Why is it acceptable for sole proprietorships? I don't think forced, slave labor should be acceptable anywhere. Even if they are paid, if its not by choice its wrong.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    We have probably all been to a business or two where the young kids are working along side their parents. Their taking orders or making food. Working right beside their parents. By choice, its unclear. It begs the question, should this be allowed? Personally I don't think so. I was in a restaurant the other day and the kids were working after school instead of being able to just be kids. I think it happens far too often and needs to start being addressed. Sure, if they are 15 let them work if they want. But younger then that, and they shouldn't be there. It also needs to be by their choice, not being forced upon them.
    Weird I was watching Bob's Burgers while reading this and their kids work there. Unfortunately in a place like theirs, they can't afford to have staff. If the kids have legitimate plans, they're usually allowed to do so, but they're not given free reign and during the school year it seems like they come home from school and do homework, but mostly help with cleaning and taking orders. It almost makes me really never want to have a business that's a store or restaurant because it consumes your life and your family's life.

yes as long as the workload is reasonable and the conditions are reasonably safe. There are many useful skills that can be learned in this environment, both tangible and intangible.

Mowing the lawn or washing dishes hardly compares to even a 4-6 hour shift.
    They are very comparable.

Yes. A lot of movies these days involve a child being beaten up by an abusive adult.

As a Hollywood casting director, it makes my job about 300x harder when I have to search through midget after midget to find a proper stunt double to take the place of a child actor, because so many midgets just look like little adults. It would be infinitely easier for me if I could cast child stunt doubles who knew how to take a punch to the face.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

They are very comparable.
    Can't agree. Mowing a lawn could be done in 30 minutes, easy. No matter what you do in life, unless you live in an apartment complex, you'll need to know how and be able to mow a law. Same thing with dishes. Everyone will need to do them. Unless you're rich enough to pay someone, its a life skill that you must posses.

Being forced to work 4-6 hours in a job you don't want to be at, doing far greater work loads and working with skills you may not need when you're an adult is far worse.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why is it acceptable for sole proprietorships? I don't think forced, slave labor should be acceptable anywhere. Even if they are paid, if its not by choice its wrong.
    I'm sure forced labor is both illegal and unethical.

More legal. Can also talk ethics about it as well. But legality is the main point. I could clarify that. Mostly because that is the only way they could try to step in and help

- - - Updated - - -

12 seems to be the federal limit for businesses owned by families and farms can have them under 12. They can't work more than 8 hours a day/40 a week. State laws can be stricter and in the case that they conflict, the stricter law is taken.

Can't agree. Mowing a lawn could be done in 30 minutes, easy. No matter what you do in life, unless you live in an apartment complex, you'll need to know how and be able to mow a law. Same thing with dishes. Everyone will need to do them. Unless you're rich enough to pay someone, its a life skill that you must posses.

Being forced to work 4-6 hours in a job you don't want to be at, doing far greater work loads and working with skills you may not need when you're an adult is far worse.
    How can you think that mowing and cleaning dishes are life skills when working a job isn't? Is this a joke? Oh, I get it. Just like with mowing, if you have enough money you don't need to know how to work at a job!

How can you think that mowing and cleaning dishes are life skills when working a job isn't? Is this a joke? Oh, I get it. Just like with mowing, if you have enough money you don't need to know how to work at a job!
    As an adult who works, no. Absolutely not. Working fast food or taking orders isn't a life skill. You can be trained how to do that by any restaurant within 8/hrs. You can get other jobs that wont even use that. Heck, wont even take orders the same way.

Cleaning dishes and mowing, you'll literally use in life regardless of your job. See the difference? One, you may or may not need. The others, you absolutely will need.

fine with me likely helps teach them several life lessons
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22