Poll: Which Expansion will be the last?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    i have gotten the impression that if there will be any additional content, it will not be moving on to TBC.. WotLK.. etc.

or there wont be a reason for me to play.

i dont need a virtual reset timer on my progression.

any dungeons/raids will be for level 60, but of course more difficult. requiring better and better gear.
    i could see professions going over 300 though.
    and maybe some new battlegrounds. brand new.

so any progression will not be 2.0 ... 3.0 ..etc
    but rather, 1.13 1.14 ...etc

WOTLK obviously, Cata onwards is closer to modern wow than trbc and wotlk, so tthere is no reason for them

vailla tbc and wotlk was the original trilogy, so those 3 only

Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    It will go exactly like this.

Current day: "Omg.. bfa sucks! i want vanilla wow!"

Classic: "Omg.. new classic-server sucks! i want TBC-wow!"

TBC: "Omg... TBC-server sucks! i want wotlk-wow!"

Yeah... have enough nostalgia-people and they will push because as soon as they realize classic wasnt what they expected they will start crying about something else.
    This would make more sense if people weren't able to play every expansion right now. People can still go back and play Classic, or TBC, or Wrath and see just what they were. At that point it stops being simple nostalgia.

They should stop after TBC.

Wrath is when classes got homogenized, raids became insanely easy with multiple immersion killing modes, gear handed out like candy, grouping unnecessary.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

10+ Year Old Account
    it wont make sense to take it further. then it wont be classic.

This will be nothing but a passing fad. if they get a bunch of new subs for a year or so, it makes money.
    It will die as soon as people find out just how crappy it was, compared to today.

One of those " you dont know what you got until its gone" things.

The poll needs a "No Further" option !

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    They should stop after TBC.

Wrath is when classes got homogenized, raids became insanely easy with multiple immersion killing modes, gear handed out like candy, grouping unnecessary.
    I sometimes dream of a more BC-ish version of WotLK, i.e. more class differentiation, no LFG, no undertuned Naxx, etc. But it wouldn't actually be WotLK, would it?
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Got a really strong feeling that Wotlk will be their full stop for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    WOTLK obviously, Cata onwards is closer to modern wow than trbc and wotlk, so tthere is no reason for them

vailla tbc and wotlk was the original trilogy, so those 3 only
    actually cata is way closer to wrath than to anything after it

You really need to add a classic option on that poll as well op.

I feel like they're definitely get around to progression servers at some point, because they've proven so successful with other games, and it seems like something that the community wants. If they do it, I feel like it's be less divisive in the community for them to, the first time around, copy over character data from Classic servers into a TBC server, and then TBC into Wrath, etc. This would give people the option to join in on the progression, while keeping people who want a specific era server happy. The other option, and what they'd probably do in the future, is designate servers as progression right from the get-go.

As to where they'd stop... I think that's a question of exactly how Cata would be received. Wrath was definitely the pinnacle of WoW popularity, and the transition expansion between old and new WoW. MoP is most definitely the pinnacle of class design for most classes. Both expansions were beloved by the community (if you ignore the people who couldn't get over Pandas existing), but Cata is right there in the middle. It's wasn't a horrible expansion, and had some highlights (Firelands still one of my favourite all-time raids), but other parts suffered because they had to split manpower on remaking the old world. It's definitely not on the same level as the two expansions surrounding it.

Also as a side-note, I wouldn't mind some day, after Classic has run it's course, maybe seeing them put out a version of Classic with "improvements" just to see what they can do with it. Just stuff like dual spec, or other quality of life stuff that didn't come until later.
    Last edited by UnknownSoldier; 2019-05-19 at 06:41 AM.

Cataclysm is the nostalgia slayer.

Mists in a perfect world. But people wont play that much even in classic that it would be worth the hassle for Blizz.

If they decide to keep going there would be no reason for them to stop. They would never catch up to retail anyway so they could just keep making servers that each stay on a specific era.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

This is a stupid conversation (the amount of resources to maintain all of these versions would be insane). At the maximum, they'll only do Classic, BC, and WotLK (if that).

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    If they decide to keep going there would be no reason for them to stop. They would never catch up to retail anyway so they could just keep making servers that each stay on a specific era.
    On a progression server they would most likely tighten up the final raid to new expansion times. Wrath released 8 months after Sunwell Plateau (although you still had tiered raiding then, so I'm not sure if the community noticed much). Cata released 12 months after ICC. MoP 10 months after Dragon Soul. WoD 14 months after SoO.

Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    actually cata is way closer to wrath than to anything after it
    in what way?
    cata removed all rpg elements, changed the world, started pruning spells and talents, adding flying everywhere, added lfr, changed visuals and much more.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I sometimes dream of a more BC-ish version of WotLK, i.e. more class differentiation, no LFG, no undertuned Naxx, etc. But it wouldn't actually be WotLK, would it?
    That's why the idea of a reboot is so damn appealing.

Imagine a Wotlk with none of the flaws, no lfd, no Naxx 2.0 but instead a new and original raid, no heroic mode, just difficult raids period. Imagine Azjol-Nerub as a massive underground zone with Scourge and Old god presence... I could go on.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post

Imagine a Wotlk with none of the flaws, no lfd, no Naxx 2.0 but instead a new and original raid, no heroic mode, just difficult raids period. Imagine Azjol-Nerub as a massive underground zone with Scourge and Old god presence... I could go on.
    Naxx 2.0 was fine, and if anything, the Heroic Mode model from WotLK was superior to the crap in Cata and beyond.

- - - Updated - - -

If anything, they should retcon out the lore for the Old Gods.

WotLK. No point to recreate Cata and MoP since things didnt change much since. You can just create fresh character ang go through all those zones and raids again. Also, if I were Blizzard I would do it like this:
    - release fresh TBC servers where you have to start from lvl 1
    - release another bunch of fresh TBC servers, but add an ability to transfer your 60 lvl char from Classic realm, so you can play TBC from day 1
    - leave Classic servers as it is for those who prefer only Vanilla (maybe merge some servers together, if there will be not enough ppl)
    Everyone will be happy! Same with WotLK.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post

Well, LFD and Naxx 2.0 were fine for me, but I was completly disappointed when they released Azjol-Nerub in the form of two silly instances and Anub-Arak as 5 man boss, while this could be the whole addon (at least patch with big zone like 8.2 with Nazjatar). Very unlikely this is happening though.

MoP is the very last expansion they'd be willing to reproduce. It's evident just by interest in private servers, really. The same way Classic has gained such a huge following, no one cares for WoD or Legion, and definitely not BfA. All interest in WoW's 'classic' era died after MoP, for more than obvious reasons. Realistically, people and their overt love for Classic - WotLK will be done, most likely anyways. Cataclysm and MoP are more in question, because people thought they destroyed the game, and lolpandas.