Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do not consider Roberts a conservative. A moderate who already has made decisions in favor of the liberal justices. Hell, recently Kavanaugh sided with the liberals in a 5-4 decision about a case against Apple. And Ginsberg may sleep her way on the court until she is in her mid 90's.
    I think it says a lot about the right that someone who votes with you 99% of the time is considered a "moderate".

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I think it says a lot about the right that someone who votes with you 99% of the time is considered a "moderate".
    Well, maybe the 99% he has ( not sure of that % ) was because it only made sense to under the Constitution.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, maybe the 99% he has ( not sure of that % ) was because it only made sense to under the Constitution.
    Considering they are able to revoke a previous decision, what makes sense under the constitution depends entirely on who you ask.

What a great system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

His opinion from a right wing point of view Roberts record speaks for itself but I think he doesn't want to be the guy who presides over the death of the supreme court's reputation. They have already reversed previous rulings and the right doesn't care about the constitution so reputation would be the only thing holding him back from delivering your fevered 1800s dream.

10+ Year Old Account
    His opinion from a right wing point of view Roberts record speaks for itself but I think he doesn't want to be the guy who presides over the death of the supreme court's reputation. They have already reversed previous rulings and the right doesn't care about the constitution so reputation would be the only thing holding him back from delivering your fevered 1800s dream.
    Slavery is not making a comeback. Or women's voting rights or only property owners being allowed to vote. :P
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    I'm really torn as to whether or not the potential overturning of Roe v. Wade would be good, or terrible for Democrats. On one hand, a victory for the pro-life side could drive down the urgency among some GoP faithful (or even result in pro-life voters voting on other issues where Dems may be favored) and cause a backlash favoring the Democrats, but on the other hand, I don't think Democrats win a general election on social/cultural issues. Democrats have Republicans beaten in popularity on most of the economic policy- it's messaging, identity, and social issues that turn out voters for the GoP.
    Honestly, I don't see this going even close to the way the Republicans hope, once it gets to SCOTUS.

Roe v. Wade was not the firm decision point they make it out to be. Rather than decide on the merits of abortion itself, the Supreme Court hand-waved the entire question away by saying that right to privacy meant they shouldn't be meddling in someone's private medical care; they essentially skipped over the central issue.

And that's why I think the idea of overturning it has stuck around; Roe v. Wade did not identify a firm Constitutional framework for abortion's legality, it avoided the question to be, essentially, politically correct and not anger pro-lifers too badly.

Compare to the more-recent SCOTUS decision legalizing gay marriage throughout the USA with a strict Constitutional, retroactive basis; that basically isn't being seriously challenged, anywhere. Because that decision is rock-solid.

Challenging Roe v. Wade isn't asking SCOTUS to overturn it. It's asking them to set it aside and actually deal with the meat of the issue, whether abortion should be legally permissible. And if SCOTUS sits down to actually answer that question, I really don't think, even with a stacked court, that the ruling will be one pro-lifers like. I think it's more likely that they'll make a much stronger ruling.

Slavery is not making a comeback. Or women's voting rights or only property owners being allowed to vote. :P
    To your chagrin I am sure but worry not you will be able to force teenage girls raped by their uncles to bear babies like the sky wizard intended.

10+ Year Old Account
    To your chagrin I am sure but worry not you will be able to force teenage girls raped by their uncles to bear babies like the sky wizard intended.
    Lol!! Sky wizard?

Lol!! Sky wizard?
    I prefer all knowing spaghetti monster but you sound like a sky wizard type.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Challenging Roe v. Wade isn't asking SCOTUS to overturn it. It's asking them to set it aside and actually deal with the meat of the issue, whether abortion should be legally permissible. And if SCOTUS sits down to actually answer that question, I really don't think, even with a stacked court, that the ruling will be one pro-lifers like. I think it's more likely that they'll make a much stronger ruling.
    I don't know, I think you might underestimate how zealous our "pro-life" crowd is, how deeply rooted in our political class it is, and how political our last 7 or 8 conservative justices have been. I could see Roberts swinging to the left on this issue because he often seems to understand the larger scope of things - on the other hand, he's also shown himself to be equally dishonest when needed. But I couldn't see the other 4 being anything but firm party line votes if they had to decide on the merits of abortion itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer all knowing spaghetti monster but you sound like a sky wizard type.
    I should be use to your insults by now. But *hugs anyway.

I should be use to your insults by now. But *hugs anyway.
    Wizards are cool that was a compliment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wizards are cool that was a compliment.
    Lol! yeah....right. In what way was it a compliment?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I don't know, I think you might underestimate how zealous our "pro-life" crowd is, how deeply rooted in our political class it is, and how political our last 7 or 8 conservative justices have been. I could see Roberts swinging to the left on this issue because he often seems to understand the larger scope of things - on the other hand, he's also shown himself to be equally dishonest when needed. But I couldn't see the other 4 being anything but firm party line votes if they had to decide on the merits of abortion itself.
    Depends on if they push a blindly ideological stance without any reasonable justification, or break it down into the legal factors and decide based on the law.

Because only the former can give you a pro-life decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol! yeah....right. In what way was it a compliment?

hell, there are t-shirts too

dont see that sort of backing for something that came from some flightless manacotti'

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That sounds way too optimistic... The way things are going, it seems just as likely that they're set up for another Dred Scott- or Plessy-esque ruling.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    That sounds way too optimistic... The way things are going, it seems just as likely that they're set up for another Dred Scott- or Plessy-esque ruling.
    After they are done with overturning Roe V. Wade this seems to be their next gambit.

Many Trump judicial nominees won’t affirm the Brown v. Board ruling. And that concerns some legal experts.

These people would bring slavery back if they could.

After they are done with overturning Roe V. Wade this seems to be their next gambit.

Many Trump judicial nominees won’t affirm the Brown v. Board ruling. And that concerns some legal experts.

These people would bring slavery back if they could.
    Well, I didn't literally mean it like that. More that overturning Roe V Wade and allowing these states to ban abortions would be a ruling that people will look back on as just as backwards and reprehensible as those.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Well, I didn't literally mean it like that. More that overturning Roe V Wade and allowing these states to ban abortions would be a ruling that people will look back on as just as backwards and reprehensible as those.
    I think it's pretty obvious that republicans nowadays do not care about how history will judge them (see Lindsey Graham), they only care about the short term and want to divide the country and harden their base to protect themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post

hell, there are t-shirts too

dont see that sort of backing for something that came from some flightless manacotti'
    He was probably referring to this wizard....

Even tho in the past I have voted twice for Ralph Nader.