Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Sylvanas "so unique" fate

Hi everyone,

Many of you think that next expansion will focus on Death in a way or another. This is a very likely scenario as this theme is everywhere in BFA and also appeared in Legion : Bolvar was developped as well as the Ebon Blade (War Campaign, many interventions of Bolvar and "Deaths of Chromie").

Now, I would like to have your opinion concerning a fearful idea I had while reading some posts here and there : Do you think that Blizzard, in their objective to make Sylvanas "Not Garrosh 2.0", could find a way to kill Bolvar and put Sylvanas instead of him as "Lich Queen" ? I am worry of something like this because I personally like Bolvar and the storytelling around him. I don't think Blizzard will give up their idea of "There must always be a Lich King", so if Bolvar dies somehow, I fear that Blizzard thinks "Hey, HOW COOL would be to put Sylvanas as Lich Queen ?" instead of finding a way to pursue Bolvar story and his progression into "We do what the living cannot." in order to benefit the "she has a bigger fate and will not end up as loot !"

Sylvanas story will go somewhere for sure, but to be honest it's difficult to foresee her fate. Between WC3 Sylvanas, WoW Sylvanas and BFA Sylvanas, I'm quite lost with her intentions. I wouldn't even surprise that she suddenly wants to be Lich Queen and puts everyone at her will instead of searching for Forsaken safety and growth (well... in BFA it's pretty sure she doesn't really care about it).

Maybe I am part of a little group who likes Bolvar, but I would still think that replacing Bolvar with anyone would destroy everything Blizzard built since Wotlk.

So what's your thought about it ?

It's a possible situation. Specially considering how Bolvar seems to be preparing his forces to backstab the living once more. But I have the feeling Sylvanas is not going to actually replace anyone else, but becoming another death entity that can somehow compete with the others.

Wrath of the Lich King 2.0 but with an elf instead of a human? Yawn, boring. I would much rather have a Void Lord expansion, if only because Blizzard could be much more creative with the setting and enemies.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    they shat on varian and voljin to make her warchief.
    i'm getting the feeling that they will shit on hero bolvar as well, just to please all the teenage edgelords.

I hope not, Bolvar is a better antagonist and has a better aesthetic than she does. If she's to usurp anyone and survive it should be Helya.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    I hope not, Bolvar is a better antagonist and has a better aesthetic than she does. If she's to usurp anyone and survive it should be Helya.
    Also, given she already had a deal with Helya, and Sylvanas held grudges to Arthas and Arthas alone (aka no Bolvar), and given Lich King is not even a real god of death, just someone powerful enough to carve a dominion in its realm, Helya is a much better target for any hypothetical scheme Sylvanas could pull to master death.

Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    Wrath of the Lich King 2.0 but with an elf instead of a human? Yawn, boring. I would much rather have a Void Lord expansion, if only because Blizzard could be much more creative with the setting and enemies.
    Instead of a green expansion we get a purple expansion yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Instead of a green expansion we get a purple expansion yay!
    Instead of another expansion in a frozen continent, we get an expansion in a purple-themed dimension that has never been seen before.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Theme in BFA is war. Not Death. With war comes death.

So far, most of the community comes to these conclusions:

Sylvanas is Garrosh 2.0
    Sylvanas is going to be Kerriganed.
    Sylvanas is going to be Lich King.

Does anyone considers none of the above?
    They made Bolvar active and building up forces in Legion, gave Mueh'zala a mention again in BfA, introduced Helya in Legion and had some NPC say shes still active and growing in power in BfA, had Bwonsamdi mention his "boss", and made some new ghost models in the vol'jin questline who attack you while also talking about a mysterious master. And im pretty sure sylvanas has stated that her overall goal is to master death.
    They are definitely building up the death forces, no matter what the overall theme of BfA is.

As i have said many times before: I am willing to bet money Sylvanas will kill Bolvar and claim the Helm of Domination in 8.3. I see no other goal for her "endgame".

The real question is: Will Blizzard try and turn her being Lichqueen into something *gasp*....."good"? Will they actually try and tell us that while she way burning children and trying to murder everybody who disagreed with her, turning entire zones into undead shit....she all the while only had the best for Azeroth on her mind?

THAT is what i am afraid of. They did that before. With Mr. Genocide-Draenor is free!-Grommash. Who was allowed to stand in on the steps between Yrel and Durotan as the one responsible for killing both Yrels sister and Durotan's brother. Nobody else was responsible for that. Only him. And they just put him there shouting nonsense because.....why exactly? Nobody knows.

I can imagine this story going many places....but none of them will be good for the franchise or the future of this game. You should not use genocide against children to sell more boxes of your shitty game if you don't intend to actually tell this story to the end.

But that's just my oppinion.
    Last edited by Nathasil; 2019-05-19 at 02:13 PM.

She should have taken the Helm of Domination back at the end of Wrath instead of Bolvar to begin with instead of having them destroy her character over the course of BfA. She could have maintained mental control over the Forsaken, treading the line between madness, a Lich Queen and Forsaken Queen until ultimately they decided to pull the trigger on an Undead redux expansion. Now if Sylvanas does end up taking the helm from Bolvar, Bolvar's actions will all have been for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    She should have taken the Helm of Domination back at the end of Wrath instead of Bolvar to begin with instead of having them destroy her character over the course of BfA. She could have maintained mental control over the Forsaken, treading the line between madness, a Lich Queen and Forsaken Queen until ultimately they decided to pull the trigger on an Undead redux expansion. Now if Sylvanas does end up taking the helm from Bolvar, Bolvar's actions will all have been for nothing.
    It would have made more sense for her, the Horde, the Forsaken and the entire world that way....but back then she was given the "Tyrande treatment". Of all major characters, Sylvanas was the one who SHOULD have stood over Arthas' dying body....but she was not important enough for the devs to care about this little detail back then. They thought a non-victory in the 5man dungeons was totally good enough for her.

I don't think she's going after Bolvar.

As of now, I'd put my money on her trying to cut out a piece of Shadowlands for herself. It's sounds ridiculous, but all that "Death is mine to master" nonsense kinda makes me think it's something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagoth Ur View Post
    I don't think she's going after Bolvar.

As of now, I'd put my money on her trying to cut out a piece of Shadowlands for herself. It's sounds ridiculous, but all that "Death is mine to master" nonsense kinda makes me think it's something along those lines.
    Oh yeah, they're so doing it, they're just a decade too late. She ended up becoming what she hated after all, just with shit char development along the way.

The thing we need to acknowledge about Sylvanas is that BtS set up a very Forsaken-centric story with Lordaeron and Calia. A story that is merely hinted at ingame, with allusions to Calia Alliance-side, and N'zoth telling riddles about the Light striking a bargain with the enemy of all.

How much of that Forsaken story has actually been in the spotlight, though? How many Forsaken perspectives do we see actually see? Nathanos and Sylvanas are secretive, and not too focused on the Forsaken. The general Forsaken populace is overlooked, and the closest to Forsaken cultural perspective we get is from Lilian Voss, regardless of what you think of her credentials, and her new pals. Calia isn't ingame yet, and I don't even think she's been mentioned by name, though there's certainly build up.

See, I've realized the most horrible truth possible. The Forsaken story hasn't actually started yet. But it will. Oh, you can be sure it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Oh yeah, they're so doing it, they're just a decade too late. She ended up becoming what she hated after all, just with shit char development along the way.
    What char development?
    She went from I must kill Arthas who inflicted this atrocity to me, to I'll use valkyr to raise new forsaken in an online novel between wotlk and cata.

How Bolvar is a better antagonist? The dude can't even summon more than 10 ghouls and he is stuck in the ice, he doesn't even have minions to do his bidding, unless the ebon blade is put at a villain stage just like most of the current forsaken cast and taking the role of the dark rangers has currently.

I would prefer Sylvanas acting like the petty thief she is, doing some errands and taking slowly the power of the fallen death gods from the adventures, like Darkseid did in the new 52.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    How Bolvar is a better antagonist? The dude can't even summon more than 10 ghouls and he is stuck in the ice, he doesn't even have minions to do his bidding, unless the ebon blade is put at a villain stage just like most of the current forsaken cast and taking the role of the dark rangers has currently.
    Dude is a lot more like the Ner'zhul-style Lich King from WC3 than Arthas ever managed to be, intentionally so I guess. He just sits on his chair and commands his minions, all his power is implicit. Like how he essentially takes over the Ebon Blade in Legion just by threatening to loose the Scourge and then uses them to get himself more horsemen and tests their loyalties with the attack on the Church. He has that mix of fire and ice in his aesthetic that can look really cool, judging by some fanart and the Scourge are the one bad guy group we didn't really beat since we're told Arthas was holding them back and could've won at any time.

Now, BFA fucks him up by making him a pansy with a worse voice crying about some nonexistent balance in order to further demonize Sylvanas, but that can describe 99% of the cast at this stage.

I would prefer Sylvanas acting like the petty thief she is, doing some errands and taking slowly the power of the fallen death gods from the adventures, like Darkseid did in the new 52.
    Yeah, I like the idea of Sylvanas shanghaing some part of the Shadowlands. It'd fit her MO and what she's done with things like the val'kyr.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2019-05-19 at 06:57 PM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

The DK class quests in Legion were definitely the best ones, and they got to that point by being genuinely well-written. Showing how Bolvar organically takes control of the Ebon blade.

It starts by having the Death knights not trust him, working with him seemingly entirely out of convenience and the implicit threat of the Scourge, but as the story goes on, it becomes more and more clear that the Lich King has a control over the Death knights, and might even be subtly getting back into their heads by making them dependent on him. At the end of the questline, when the Four horsemen are lined up and the risen dragon screeches in the sky, it hit me that this entire expansion, DKs have been building up the Lich kings armies, and once the Scourge redux expansion comes out, we will get a good, satisfying payoff to it.

Having Sylvanas kill Bolvar and take the crown would completely undermine this entirely, and would just move the Garrosh 2.0 complaints over to Arthas 2.0, except with even less interest, seeing as Arthas is one of WoWs best written villains (cartoon villainy aside)

Dude is a lot more like the Ner'zhul-style Lich King from WC3 than Arthas ever managed to be, intentionally so I guess. He just sits on his chair and commands his minions, all his power is implicit. Like how he essentially takes over the Ebon Blade in Legion just by threatening to loose the Scourge and then uses them to get himself more horsemen and tests their loyalties with the attack on the Church.
    Ner'zhul success was because of Arthas alone and he was a very capable minion, even Tichondrius mentions this in the meeting of Dreadlords. Bolvar has the PC doing his bidding and even so in the attack of the chappel, they got rekt by the light again and he even mentions the PC DK is the only one that is preventing him to take full command of the ebon blade(the mount questline) and probably his forces at best can fill for 1 patch and 1 raid at best, with all the buffed characters we have now, there is zero chance for the current scourge to win.

He has that mix of fire and ice in his aesthetic that can look really cool, judging by some fanart and the Scourge are the one bad guy group we didn't really beat since we're told Arthas was holding them back and could've won at any time.
    This was retconned in the Chronicle book, the alliance and horde would had one in a full war against the scourge, this is why Arthas wanted to lure the most powerful champions to ICC and raise them to destroy the alliance and horde, besides both sides would have been depleted by that point in his calculation

Now, BFA fucks him up by making him a pansy with a worse voice crying about some nonexistent balance in order to further demonize Sylvanas, but that can describe 99% of the cast at this stage.
    Well in live he is still voiced by the old lich king voice actor but yeah out of sudden he cares about balance when he doesn't have any means to even know what is that balance that Bwonsamdi is speaking, besides of the shit he pulled in legion in the back of everyone....I just have the headcanon he is lying about balance so people won't found out his new plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself