Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Redroniksre View Post
    A full xpac generates about 10 mil subs so i dont know about that, but yeah its obvious it will be a success otherwise they wouldnt have done it. Outside of that how popular it is wont matter until launch and the 3/6 month marks.
    I don't think WoW has been close to 10 mil subs for many many years, probably mop days. Again classic does not need to be a massive financial success (although i believe it will be) to be labeled a success. This is a gaming company in 2019 that is actually listening to the players wants and they do truly seem to get it, as evidenced by no cash shop/wow token etc. They really could make millions if they implemented a WoW token on launch but because that takes so much of the core gameplay away they know its best to leave it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Classic is great and very time consuming. If you like playing with groups, actually having to plan everything (including soloing, like basic leveling pulls, etc) then this is so your game. If you like zoning out and mindlessly going with the flow, or wanting to solo play the whole time, this is not your game.
    That’s pretty much what I want, yeah. I mean I play retail WoW very socially. I add people from pugging mythic+ and I usually never play solo. I spend a majority of my time raiding and outside of that if there’s shit to do it’ll be with friends or guildies.

Having to actually put effort into everything is what I’d love. Blizz has been spewing out afk content for a while now and it seems to just create this playerbase of mindless players that just log in to get some fast rewards and log out. I want rewards to take effort or time, I want the best rewards to have a journey behind getting them. Retail WoW has none of that anymore, you can either pull the slot machine and hope for some good titanforges or just do a warfront and get some free heroic gear. Gearing up for raiding can take ~4-5 days as opposed to weeks.

The biggest thing though is CRZ. I’m on Stormrage so I always see people from my realm and it’s amazing but I went to a CRZed realm yesterday and it was atrocious. Bunch of random people from other servers and I couldn’t find anyone from the server I was on. Idk how people can play on those realms.

A full xpac generates about 10 mil subs so i dont know about that, but yeah its obvious it will be a success otherwise they wouldnt have done it. Outside of that how popular it is wont matter until launch and the 3/6 month marks.
    Sounds like BFA. Big spike, massive fall off, then the people that just like it play it. Classic will be the same. Sounds like a video game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I don't think WoW has been close to 10 mil subs for many many years, probably mop days. Again classic does not need to be a massive financial success (although i believe it will be) to be labeled a success. This is a gaming company in 2019 that is actually listening to the players wants and they do truly seem to get it, as evidenced by no cash shop/wow token etc. They really could make millions if they implemented a WoW token on launch but because that takes so much of the core gameplay away they know its best to leave it out.
    I believe it was Legion that brought in 10 mil, people forget that most players sub, do what they can and then unsub. I think Classic will be popular enough, it will keep a steady playerbase but it is not revolutionary. The team working on it is small, mostly server and code but yeah of course they care.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Sounds like BFA. Big spike, massive fall off, then the people that just like it play it. Classic will be the same. Sounds like a video game.
    Exactly this, BFA has had the largest drop off ive ever seen in a WoW xpac but if that happens to classic that is apparently an outlier lol?

There was clear evidence they had over 10 million subs during Legion launch as per their statement that they had the highest concurrent total players reported in years.

Secondly, the Classic crowd overall was small but extremely vocal. The main private server barely had over 200k accounts and it was free. They barely made enough money from donations to keep the servers up. While Classic will do better because it is included in the WoW sub, time will tell how successful it is.

In terms of being a financial success, it's pretty simple: Is the money generated covering the overall costs of developing and implementing the servers? Is this a feature that generates enough money to justify the time spent on developing it over the potential earnings of working on other projects?

So it's basically down to two things: Overall profit and opportunity cost.

I believe it was Legion that brought in 10 mil, people forget that most players sub, do what they can and then unsub. I think Classic will be popular enough, it will keep a steady playerbase but it is not revolutionary. The team working on it is small, mostly server and code but yeah of course they care.
    WoD was roughly the same level at release. Blizzard also openly said that they now expect players to act like this, sub for a bit whenever something new is released, then let it lapse till the next time. The persistent players are the exception, not the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusblood View Post
    There was clear evidence they had over 10 million subs during Legion launch as per their statement that they had the highest concurrent total players reported in years.

Secondly, the Classic crowd overall was small but extremely vocal. The main private server barely had over 200k accounts and it was free. They barely made enough money from donations to keep the servers up. While Classic will do better because it is included in the WoW sub, time will tell how successful it is.

In terms of being a financial success, it's pretty simple: Is the money generated covering the overall costs of developing and implementing the servers? Is this a feature that generates enough money to justify the time spent on developing it over the potential earnings of working on other projects?

So it's basically down to two things: Overall profit and opportunity cost.

And how fast did that drop lol? IF you use the logic that we have to wait 3 or 6 months to see if classic is a success, then LEGION was a MASSIVE DISASTER.

After 6 months it lost so many players, but people still talking like it was a success? But with classic it have to grow in 6 months to be considered a success?

Seems logical lol

Pfft, I bet those aren't even real people and just actors paid by Blizzard to say that!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by duselsteiner View Post
    So much fun to collect all those zhevra hoofs. For hours.
    Ummmm, that's good grinding!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Pfft, I bet those aren't even real people and just actors paid by Blizzard to say that!

- - - Updated - - -

Ummmm, that's good grinding!
    I really think blizzard should add zhevra hoofs to their shop. People would buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post
    And how fast did that drop lol? IF you use the logic that we have to wait 3 or 6 months to see if classic is a success, then LEGION was a MASSIVE DISASTER.

After 6 months it lost so many players, but people still talking like it was a success? But with classic it have to grow in 6 months to be considered a success?

Seems logical lol
    First of all, you have made claims you are unable to substantiate.

What were the sub numbers over time during Legion? We don't know. So don't go around saying things you have no clue about.

Secondly, nothing in my post stated Legion was a massive success, or disaster? Prove I said that. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Within your response, you put words in my mouth and made factually inaccurate statements.

My opinion on Legion is simple: It was a great expansion, the best one they put out since Wrath. Clearly they attracted attention early on based on the statements Blizzard made, but we do not know the sub numbers. Do you?

So go ahead and correct yourself and apologize.

And yes, Classic needs to be out for a period of time to determine if it is an overall success FINANCIALLY. However, we may never know the true sub numbers for Classic or any other expansion. So it's really not something we can debate substantially.

I think the best indicator on the success of Classic is whether over a period of time there is continued subs playing the game over time. Once again, we may not know that.

EDIT: Judging by your post count, and the first post you posted ever was a flame-bait anti-retail/pro-classic thread that had to be shut down, it's pretty clear that you are here to antagonize as opposed to discuss. I will not respond to your further posts because clearly you are just a flamer.
    Last edited by MidnyteTV; 2019-05-19 at 09:00 PM.

Ya I mean that video is super embarrassing one way or another.
    Its either embarrassing because he made an opinion on Classic with no actual knowledge of it or experience with it before hand,
    OR
    He had a strong opinion on it and he let 19 levels of leveling changing his mind.

I don't know what is worse, but I am REALLY worried about all the people suddenly gushing about leveling to 30.

Venruki especially.
    He's one of the most accomplished PVPers in the history of the game.
    What is his plan after level 60, and does he plan on doing battlegrounds for a decade?

THAT'S what I would want to here him talk about.
    Otherwise, he is basically just excited to be a noob again.

That's nice and all, but pretty damn close to nostalgia if you ask me.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post

Seems logical lol
    Classic is essentially a new game so we have to wait for numbers to stabilize to get an idea of how many core players there will be. Expansions go in with an already core number of players and just cycle the cyclical players.

I really think blizzard should add zhevra hoofs to their shop. People would buy them.
    Beats grinding for hours, time is money, friend!

One guy makes a shitty clickbait YouTube video which has obviously been carefully designed to maximize watch time and suddenly that means all Classic naysayers are in agreement with him.

I love this world we live in. Do people even bother thinking these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Exactly this, BFA has had the largest drop off ive ever seen in a WoW xpac but if that happens to classic that is apparently an outlier lol?
    The difference being that the modern game leads into new content and Classic is just Classic. A few months from now a new expansion will be announced at Blizzcon and when that releases subs will spike again, and again the next time, and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    Ya I mean that video is super embarrassing one way or another.
    Its either embarrassing because he made an opinion on Classic with no actual knowledge of it or experience with it before hand,
    OR
    He had a strong opinion on it and he let 19 levels of leveling changing his mind.

I don't know what is worse, but I am REALLY worried about all the people suddenly gushing about leveling to 30.

Venruki especially.
    He's one of the most accomplished PVPers in the history of the game.
    What is his plan after level 60, and does he plan on doing battlegrounds for a decade?

THAT'S what I would want to here him talk about.
    Otherwise, he is basically just excited to be a noob again.

That's nice and all, but pretty damn close to nostalgia if you ask me.
    Yea, the OP made a mistake by titling "Classic nay sayers" in plural. Also, the guy in the video is clearly just having a moment of excitement and is posting the video to get cheap views. Let's wait and see what happens when people hit 60.....

Quote Originally Posted by deviant010 View Post
    For years I have read people (who probably pretend to have played vanilla) on this forum saying vanilla was bad and people think it was great because of nostalgia. Now classic beta is open we can finally have a fair comparison and it's funny to see how the nay sayers admit they were wrong after playing beta.
    Beta just started. Nostalgia is still very strong. Wait a few months to see what players are saying after nostalgia starts to wear off before crowing.

The community changed massively since classic.

Today i expect people to sell dungeonruns as like Onyxia prequest runs.

For only 500g.

In the old days people did not sell runs.

The community changed massively since classic.

Today i expect people to sell dungeonruns as like Onyxia prequest runs.

For only 500g.

In the old days people did not sell runs.
    Except that they did lol, there were even GDKP pub runs.