Page 13 of 81 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    That is the thing, in the short term it can....but in the long term it just doesn't have the staying power with many but the most devoted. There aren't going to be millions of people paying $15 a month to play a game that never gets updated.
    I love these short-sighted arguments. It's as if they exist in a vacuum where the retail version of the game simply doesn't exist. The staying power of Classic is retail. The staying power of retail is Classic. They're mutually beneficial towards one another.

Believe it or not, it's possible to play BOTH games. Who fucking knew?!

I’m not sure if it’ll overtake retail but BFA and the last 2 other expansions have been pretty bad. Legion was decent but BfA is just really bad for many reasons. Blizzard has been adding more and more afkable/mindless content like Islands/warfronts/LFR/titanforging it’s just creating this weird playerbase that loves these things because they’re easy and take no effort but are very rewarding. I wouldn’t mind having LFR, it’s whatever, but there are so many forms of afk/mindless content that give heroic+level raid rewards.

Then you have the world content slot machine that might give you a gear piece with 15 or 30+ ilvl or a gem socket. There’s a reason people have been nonstop begging for deterministic gearing systems and vendors, it’s because this slot machine afk content is extremely bland and only appeals to people who log in for a few minutes to get some rewards and then log out. It also hurts the gearing system. Gearing as a whole is extremely fast and easy whereas in the past it took a while to get geared and professions played a decent role, vendors played a good role, etc. I’d much rather accrue currency or tier tokens and hand them in to vendors for gear than pray to the RNG gods for a titanforged piece of gear with a socket.

Honestly, I’m hoping they see that these systems are just bringing down retail WoW. They’ve talked about these systems not working in the game and they don’t like them but they haven’t done anything. I personally don’t know how I feel about classic yet but I’d be willing to play it over retail WoW if this slot machine RNG fiesta continues. WoW has always had people complaining but it’s never been this negative or common, I just hope they can manage to add RPG elements back to WoW and fix gearing. Fixing the community would go a long way too, CRZ is ruining servers.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2019-05-19 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    It's not even beating LoL right now. Slipped to third on the third day of beta. Pretty sure the hype is already dying.
    Your basing hype of Twitch numbers on a beta capped to level 30? It wouldn't take much notice of that right now
    Nothing to do with Twitch numbers how many people will be playing in August

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    It's because of twitch streamers other than that you are delusional

WoW classic is targeting not just current WoW players (thank god there must be less than 1 million left) but the MMO market in general. It will have way more players than retail thats for certain.

There are millions of players looking for the next game to jump into, nothing in the coming years is going to be bigger than classic WoW launch.

Will it retain its player base over a long period of time? probably not but it will absolutely eclipse BfA until the next expansion drops.
    Last edited by Castia; 2019-05-19 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    Of course not. Classic has 0 chance overtake retail.

It is hard to understand why this question even exist...
    Just look at the viewcount on twitch..., it's the highest its ever been for WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Just look at the viewcount on twitch..., it's the highest its ever been for WoW
    Do you think I'll be able to predict the outcome of the 2020 election by measuring how many people watch Fox News vs. CNN?

Because, like, that's literally the argument you're making here... lmfao.

In the first days. That is until everyone discovers classic was not really that great.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Do you think I'll be able to predict the outcome of the 2020 election by measuring how many people watch Fox News vs. CNN?

Because, like, that's literally the argument you're making here... lmfao.
    Not really. I'm just saying it's an indicator that there's loads of interest in Vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I love these short-sighted arguments. It's as if they exist in a vacuum where the retail version of the game simply doesn't exist. The staying power of Classic is retail. The staying power of retail is Classic. They're mutually beneficial towards one another.

Believe it or not, it's possible to play BOTH games. Who fucking knew?!
    Not really...you think if in a few years down the road there are only a few thousand people playing vanilla that Blizzard is going to pay to keep all the servers running if they can't make a profit off it? No.

The only reason they're doing vanilla is because they will make a profit off of it, doesn't mean they will always. What happens if the day comes where WoW is actually dying? Live has 400k active players and vanilla has lets say 3k or less....do you really think Blizzard wont pull the plug if the upkeep is more than the profit? That they will lose money just to keep something going for a few fans?

Or do you think that just because one sub covers it all that Blizzard isn't going to keep track on how active both are? I'm sure they will have the numbers, merging both subs into one is just a good method of plausible deniability

No but I hope the best aspects of Classic inform their future decisions.

Such as pacing and the relevancy of gear in every single step you make.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luxeley View Post
    For classic to overtake live retail you'll have to be looking at north of 5-6 million players.
    Retail doesn't have 5 million active subs. It doesn't have even 1 million active subs.

If i was blizzard, i would sell a single classic license for $79,99.
    Last edited by Fred Skinner; 2019-05-19 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castia View Post
    Your basing hype of Twitch numbers on a beta capped to level 30?
    Yes, why does it matter what the cap is? That's not an argument. If they streamed Fortnite 2, but only one gun type, it'd still show how hyped people were if they "tuned" in to watch it.

It wouldn't take much notice of that right now
    I'm not saying it represents numbers of people who'll be playing in the future.

You said "The hype for classic is off the scales." I pointed out the hype isn't "off the scales" and now you're moving the goal post.

Fact, the hype is dying. We actually have numbers to prove it. It's going to go down until the game goes live, and then it will spike again, and then it will slowly die down. This is how ALL games work. Especially MMO-RPGs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Not really. I'm just saying it's an indicator that there's loads of interest in Vanilla.
    ...which is completely pointless because that "interest" isn't quantifiable in relation the potential success of Classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Not really...you think if in a few years down the road there are only a few thousand people playing vanilla that Blizzard is going to pay to keep all the servers running if they can't make a profit off it? No.

The only reason they're doing vanilla is because they will make a profit off of it, doesn't mean they will always. What happens if the day comes where WoW is actually dying? Live has 400k active players and vanilla has lets say 3k or less....do you really think Blizzard wont pull the plug if the upkeep is more than the profit? That they will lose money just to keep something going for a few fans?

Or do you think that just because one sub covers it all that Blizzard isn't going to keep track on how active both are? I'm sure they will have the numbers, merging both subs into one is just a good method of plausible deniability
    ...generating profit? What are you on about? You do realize that if Classic simply prevents 15% of the currently subscribed retail population from unsubscribing, it's done it's job, right? I think the biggest issue I have personally with the whole Classic "debate" is that Classic almost universally framed as some kind of re-invigoration of the WoW franchise when in reality it's little more than a player retention mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Retail doesn't have 5 million active subs. It doesn't have even 1 million active subs.
    How do you know about information that hasn't been giving out to the public for a long time?

Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post
    I think a lot of players will realize they are wrong, whenever they start to play classic.

Have you guys seen venruki newest video, he was one of the biggest naysayer and retail baby, but look at him now.
    Most players going over to Classic? I just don't see it. You have too many people invested in characters they've had for years, going to Classic means starting over completely, in every way, and giving up 14 years of story and game development.

As far as the devs are concerned, not happening either. The Classic team is small, the vast majority of the budget and effort is on the retail game. I don't see them reversing that, ever.

You're talking about a game with a shelf life. Once you're done in Classic, then what? "OMG NEW CONTENT CONFIRMED" is the new urban legend, but what they've said is "Maybe TBC/Wrath servers. We'll see".

This kind of speculation and talk is an offshoot of the "You'll be SOWWY when Classic comes out!", and it's kind of hilarious, because as usual, you go too far. Get past release and keeping a decent community going on one or two servers over a couple of months, until the first milestone patch release, then take a look at how popular it is.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Yes, why does it matter what the cap is? That's not an argument. If they streamed Fortnite 2, but only one gun type, it'd still show how hyped people were if they "tuned" in to watch it.

I'm not saying it represents numbers of people who'll be playing in the future.

You said "The hype for classic is off the scales." I pointed out the hype isn't "off the scales" and now you're moving the goal post.

Fact, the hype is dying. We actually have numbers to prove it. It's going to go down until the game goes live, and then it will spike again, and then it will slowly die down. This is how ALL games work. Especially MMO-RPGs.
    In your head hype is Twitch numbers? what the fuck.

It's currently sitting at #2 on views on Twitch which isn't too bad to begin with so there's that. I mentioned level 30 cap before it's not the most riveting content watching people level up in the lowbie zones, watching people level up isn't going to keep people watching over an extended period of time thats obvious.

Now if they we're testing raid bosses and other level 60 content it's fair to say the numbers would be off the scales?

But at the end of the day who cares? twitch numbers mean fuck all I don't know why you brought them up in relation to hype.
    Last edited by Castia; 2019-05-19 at 09:20 PM.

As a classic player I am not sure if I will join the "new" classic.

To me, it isn't new, I have seen and done it all when it was current content. Back then I was amazed when I entered MC and BWL for the first time, but I honestly doubt I will feel the same about it today. And there will be one important difference between old classic and new classic. While the content is exactly the same, the current gamer is not. The gamer of 2019 is very different from the gamer of 2005.

So, I honestly doubt it'll be a huge success. If classic gets a huge RP community I may switch over from retail, but otherwise I probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Clearly not, people will realise what a pile of garbage classic is.
    How butthurt are you about Classic? Literally every thread that mentions Classic you have to come in and show how butthurt about Classic you are.
    Enjoy BFA (I know it is impossible, but surely a shill like you can do it) and stop letting Classic live rent free on your mind.
    How unsightly.

In your head hype is Twitch numbers? what the fuck.

It's currently sitting at #2 on views on Twitch which isn't too bad to begin with so there's that.
    The number of people showing up and staying is a way of showing hype. It's the only way you can measure it right now.

How else do you measure it? How can you claim "The hype for classic is off the scales"? Where's the proof if not for the number of viewers?

I mentioned level 30 cap before it's not the most riveting content watching people level up in the lowbie zones, watching people level up isn't going to keep people watching over an extended period of time thats obvious.

Now if they we're testing raid bosses and other level 60 content it's fair to say the numbers would be off the scales?
    They haven't even gotten to the level cap yet, and the numbers are decreasing. So, in your mind, we'll start seeing millions more people watching when endgame content comes out? Enough with your bullshit speculations. This is getting pretty damn close to insanity on your part. You just don't know.

But at the end of the day who cares? twitch numbers mean fuck all I don't know why you brought them up in relation to hype.
    Twitch numbers are literally the ONLY indication we have right now to know how hyped people are. That's why you should care. There are many videos, from people like you, claiming "it has huge numbers on twitch, that proves there's an interest!!!"
    Last edited by urasim; 2019-05-19 at 09:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be surprised if Classic overtakes retail during certain peaks. Like the launch, and if they follow through with TBC and Wrath servers, and whenever new raids are released, etc. Capitalizing on nostalgia is hugely profitable, there's a reason why Disney is re-making old movies. Although in terms of long term overtaking, I don't think so. I'll be playing Classic rather than retail though.

Your basing hype of Twitch numbers on a beta capped to level 30? It wouldn't take much notice of that right now

- - - Updated - - -

WoW classic is targeting not just current WoW players (thank god there must be less than 1 million left) but the MMO market in general. It will have way more players than retail thats for certain.

There are millions of players looking for the next game to jump into, nothing in the coming years is going to be bigger than classic WoW launch.

Will it retain its player base over a long period of time? probably not but it will absolutely eclipse BfA until the next expansion drops.
    Denial is a big hit