Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Korean government to switch to Linux

The government will switch the operating system of its computers from Windows to Linux, the Ministry of the Interior and Safety said Thursday.

The Interior Ministry said the ministry will be test-running Linux on its PCs, and if no security issues arise, Linux systems will be introduced more widely within the government.

The decision comes amid concerns about the cost of continuing to maintain Windows, as Microsoft’s free technical support for Windows 7 expires in January 2020.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190517000378

A lot of EU governments switched to linux only to switch back to windows after a number years.

I do the same thing, I decide to install linux, arch is my current distro, I use it for a number of months but then I start to run into little inconsistencies, little problems. I work through these problems, something that takes a lot of time. Finally I get tired of it, give up on linux and go back to windows. A year later, I reinstall linux and the cycle repeats itself.

What is your experience with linux?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Governments should stop whining about the costs of using software and having to pay for support. They have the money to afford support, but it's not like maintaining Windows takes a ton of effort.

Linux is for people who know what they`re doing, this doesn`t apply to governments.

use it for sandboxes for work but for day to day nah.. to much of a hassle with little issues that windows just doesn't have. Windows is find security wise if you patch it and update it. Having the bulk of the market share makes windows the best target for exploits
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

They pay $14,000/month to IT/Tech jobs in USA when New York policemen get $10,000/month. Buyers have to pay high price for softwares. Microsoft windows etc.. are quite expensive. The codes can be copied and 100s of millions of sales easily.

I will try Linux

10+ Year Old Account
    Running it on PC and laptop. My first experience goes back to 2000, back than you had to be real enthusiast and know the commands to use it. Than I started playing WoW and didn't really think about Linux until 5-6 years ago when I started to dual boot (Win for WoW). Now I don't use Windows since everything is available and yes you will run into some problems from time to time but nothing major unless you I am testing stuff. Also, you can play games either natively or through Wine or Steam's Proton.

As for the article, I hope they stick with it. Everyone remembers Munich debacle so I hope Koreans will learn on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

Not unexpected considering what a Spyware shitshow Win 8/10 are.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know they'll use it as leverage against Microsoft to lower prices. I wish they were genuine about it, but they probably aren't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuans View Post
    They pay $14,000/month to IT/Tech jobs in USA
    What the fuck?

No. No they certainly don't.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the point in Linux for casual use. Certainly for servers and for scientific research where simplicity and low computational overhead is needed to get the most out the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Linux is for people who know what they`re doing, this doesn`t apply to governments.
    How good is Linux ? I would want to try Linux. All those luxuries for the employees at Silicon valley is increasing the price of software.

Which Linux distributive? I hope for them that it is something like Ubuntu (or just Ubuntu) and that they TRULY have a good plan and training program.
    Linux is not just Linux, it is a more complicated. Also, it is not some magical solution for everything. It is a tool (just like Windows), nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    A lot of EU governments switched to linux only to switch back to windows after a number years.

I do the same thing, I decide to install linux, arch is my current distro, I use it for a number of months but then I start to run into little inconsistencies, little problems. I work through these problems, something that takes a lot of time. Finally I get tired of it, give up on linux and go back to windows. A year later, I reinstall linux and the cycle repeats itself.

Make sure you have your own support staff to handle most except for catastrophic crashes?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    They will join the long list of institutions that try and fail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    They will join the long list of institutions that try and fail.
    Like Google? Nobody wants to fail like Google. I hear they use Debian for everything. What losers, amiright?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    used it for my computer science classes something to do with programming microprocessors. Hated it and will never use it again if I can avoid it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Like Google? Nobody wants to fail like Google. I hear they use Debian for everything. What losers, amiright?
    I know it's a difficult concept to comprehend for average MMO-C derp, but there is quite a difference between Google use cases and your rando-ass government clerks and administrators.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I know it's a difficult concept to comprehend for average MMO-C derp, but there is quite a difference between Google use cases and your rando-ass government clerks and administrators.
    There shouldn't be a difference. If Google can successfully push employee's to use Debian then anyone can make it work, if they tried. I myself get a kick out of installing Linux mint onto someone's laptop and then install a number of themes that essentially make it look like Windows 10. Your average MMO-C derp couldn't tell they're running Linux. I wanted to try this with a scammer to see how long it'll take them to realize they're using Linux and not Windows, while they desperately try to take over my machine and get access to bank accounts.

Using Linux makes a whole a lot of sense. It's free, faster, adaptable, has better optimization/hardware support, runs with less power, cuts the nonsense away, it's more secure, there is zero reliance on waiting for Microsoft to fix something when things go wrong(if it will be ever fixed) and oh.. You can make your own distro suiting the task even better.

Not only that, but goverments will run tailored software anyways, it makes zero difference in usability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    There shouldn't be a difference. If Google can successfully push employee's to use Debian then anyone can make it work, if they tried. I myself get a kick out of installing Linux mint onto someone's laptop and then install a number of themes that essentially make it look like Windows 10. Your average MMO-C derp couldn't tell they're running Linux. I wanted to try this with a scammer to see how long it'll take them to realize they're using Linux and not Windows, while they desperately try to take over my machine and get access to bank accounts.
    The reason why this has failed in many similar governmental use cases was poor end-user experience alongside with very expensive and subpar supportability at scale.

Google has no such issues, but your average governmental institution has aplenty.