Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    So I still stand by most of this last season being fine. I think this last episode really showed just how badly they were struggling to connect the dots in the time they had left. I mean, when a writer passes halfway through a series and another writer steps in to take his place and finish it, that never goes well. Regardless of how talented the substitute may be. From what I understand, they were working from a rough outline that just described major plot points and how things shook out. It really seems like they just filmed those major points without any of the connective tissue that made them make actual sense.

Martin only barely wrote for the show though. Most of the show was an interpretation and adaptation of his work by a third party. This whole show was the work of the team that also ran this last season. Based on that body of work, I hoped that they would be able to bring this bird in for a smoother landing. From the point that they overtook the books, they consistently chose a style that focused more on plot than character. That's fine, but it's not the way the books were written, which is a problem. Then they just had to slam through the last major set pieces at such a pace that we lost any sense of context.

By way of example, I love an ending for John that sees him leave King's Landing behind and head north with the wildlings. It makes total sense for him. How they arrived there in the show though? Oof. Arya gets nothing to do all episode and decides to take off, a decision that carries no emotional weight with us because we never saw her make it. Crap like that gets lost when you shift priorities, and we're left with an ending that technically connects all the dots, but leaves you feeling dissatisfied in how it got there.
    HBO fucking said to take 10 episodes for the last season. they claimed they could do it in 6. clearly the dots were not connected, the DnD jsut wanted out. I hope their names are ruined and that Disney removes them from the Star wars project that was promised to them. they are the failed abortion that lived.

Quote Originally Posted by steristumpie View Post
    HA! Told you so!

(i was wrong about 1 thing ... 6 kingdoms)
    bragging about being wrong
    Feelsweird

Pure garbage. Aka 'bittersweet' from now on.

Another major problem this season had was that the whole entire army of unsullied was just represented by Greyworm.

And the entire doth raki was a nameless horde.

Episode 3 made it look like all of them died and why should we care except for Greyworm. And then the next episode "half of all forces" are back because cersei is still alive even though all they needed was drogon with 50% evasion chance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Grats that you read reddit spoilers and felt like a cool guy to post it on other forums.

You're so witty and amazing.
    Havent been on a single reddit page in about 4 years.
    I'm not a 17 year old soyboy.
    “The best way to win an argument is to begin by being right.” -Jill Ruckelshaus

Quote Originally Posted by hynx View Post
    HBO fucking said to take 10 episodes for the last season. they claimed they could do it in 6. clearly the dots were not connected, the DnD jsut wanted out. I hope their names are ruined and that Disney removes them from the Star wars project that was promised to them. they are the failed abortion that lived.
    hell didn't one of them write Wolverine: Origins. That alone should have kept them far away from anything, this just backs that up.

The actual ending wasn't that bad at all. The rush to get there was awful. The writing of the previous episodes to get there, awful. The way it finishes is a decent outcome, but so rushed. The worst part is the Dragon just takes off and Brann is like, eh I got that. It is interesting that the children of the forest, the haters of mankind, managed to rule the kingdom in the end through Brann. They were responsible for the NK setup to destroy the first men. It's rather an interesting outcome. Danny was obviously going down since about 3 seasons ago. I'm just glad they didn't kill of Tyrion, also great last line for his character.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2019-05-20 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hynx View Post
    With the extra length it was more like 8, but sure.

Look, I'm going to imagine you have never written anything in your life here because the actual writing wasn't worse. It was different. It's bad to change styles mid stream, but that's the style they write with. It differs greatly from Martin's. That's a fault of suits putting the wrong people in charge of a project because they don't know the difference between one writer and another. This whole thing is pretty obviously them trying to finish someone else's vision with only a very basic outline of where it was going while also adapting from a totally different narrative style. To finish it Martin's way would have taken 2-3 more seasons that they just didn't have.

Look, I'm going to imagine you have never written anything in your life here because the actual writing wasn't worse. It was different. It's bad to change styles mid stream, but that's the style they write with. It differs greatly from Martin's. That's a fault of suits putting the wrong people in charge of a project because they don't know the difference between one writer and another. This whole thing is pretty obviously them trying to finish someone else's vision with only a very basic outline of where it was going while also adapting from a totally different narrative style. To finish it Martin's way would have taken 2-3 more seasons that they just didn't have.
    Well
    Not having more time was most likely their choice. I'm sure HBO would have no objections to more Game of Thrones.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Wrong.

Ok, then please explain to me why even after the Starbucks coffee cup incident, they still didn't learn a damn thing, and there's water bottles now on the set. This whole season seemed rushed.

10+ Year Old Account

I agree with this. It's clear that the longer they relied on Martin's summary outlines the more likely it was that character development especially would get messed up and rushed.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-05-20 at 07:30 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Sure Azor Ahai, but what about everything else? The others (the remaining white walkers) and their great society we never got to explore, Bran's ability to change the course of history, the faceless men and their god, the fire god... even with one prophecy coming full circle when interpreting events... it's still SHIT. The biggest sorrows in life come with promises and expectations. Disappointment is harder to bear than not having anything at all. The show had so many great elements to it and we all read the theories... in the end this is trolling of highest order.

Wrong.

Nope that is still a better ending.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Yara should be Master of the Navy, make Davos Master of Laws. He is a both an honorable knight and a smuggler. He knows both sides and has a good head on him.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Want to know how I know you didn't watch Quantum Leap?
    I watched it on re-runs after it aired and knowing that Sam decided to keep leaping and helping humanity was bitter-sweet but still better than this ending.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

this ending is worse than lost's for me.

Because this series had more potential.

even emilia clarke's acting was better this season.

Shame the writing was so god awful

That has nothing to do with the finale. Your statement was proven false.
    Well, it was in the finale, so it has SOMETHING to do with the finale. Even if you ignore that glaring mistake (water bottles), last episode still pretty underwhelming. Maybe some people liked it, but most didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Ok, then please explain to me why even after the Starbucks coffee cup incident, they still didn't learn a damn thing, and there's water bottles now on the set. This whole season seemed rushed.
    Are you seriously asking "why didn't they learn their lesson" with the Starbucks cup when the episodes were all already made and waiting to be aired, lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Well, it was in the finale, so it has SOMETHING to do with the finale. Even if you ignore that glaring mistake (water bottles), last episode still pretty underwhelming. Maybe some people liked it, but most didn't.
    Only on the internet is a water bottle mostly hidden by someone's foot at the bottom of frame considered a glaring mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Another major problem this season had was that the whole entire army of unsullied was just represented by Greyworm.

And the entire dothraki was a nameless horde.

Episode 3 made it look like all of them died and why should we care except for Greyworm. And then the next episode "half of all forces" are back because cersei is still alive even though all they needed was drogon with 50% evasion chance
    sorry but does anyone agree?

season 8 and the unnamed armies were a massive problem?

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Are you seriously asking "why didn't they learn their lesson" with the Starbucks cup when the episodes were all already made and waiting to be aired, lol?
    They actually fixed the Starbucks-like coffee cup by editing it out like 2 or 3 days later, so I didn't see why they couldn't do the same here. Gah, they're just lazy. The last season is just rushed and underwhelming overall. Though I was also a Dany fan, so seeing her die didn't make me too happy.