Page 16 of 81 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm sure a lot of players will try classic just as i'm sure that very few will keep playing it after a week. It's a niche market within a niche market run by diffuse nostalgia or simply not knowing how the game was back then.

It will be something fine to kill the time now and then, specially with those end of expansions long patch cycles, it will certainly have a small constant community, but never enough to overtake retail, not even close by far.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

7+ Year Old Account
    Somehow, I don't see all those retail, log-in-only-for-raids players to suddenly find Classic fun.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You know what, I really don't care.

I don't think Classic will be nearly as big as it's supporters would like to believe it will be, but if I'm wrong, I have absolutely zero emotional investment in said prediction.

What I will say is this: Those hyping up Classic to be bigger than Live have no real basis for their claims. WoW is and has been the MMO king for 1 and a half decades and every single time some new upstart MMO has made claims that it will unseat WoW, those claims have failed to be backed up once the product was released. So really, all I am seeing here from people like the OP is bravado, nothing more. Classic needs to prove itself before you guys shit all over Live.

And while I said above that I have no emotional investment in my predictions regarding the success of Classic, I can't say that I won't find it immensely satisfying when indeed those who do keep on harping on about how it will beat the shit out of WoW are shown to be wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see a poll which shows if the people wanting classic servers so much actually played classic, and I mean REALLY played it. From leveling to raiding to alterac
    I doubt that's the same crowd.
    I played it and I'm so glad we're not stuck there
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people will play one. Some will play the other. A lot will play both from time to time. Blizzard will never tell you how many are playing each game separately. It's a dumb argument to be honest. It's better if both games are successful.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Indeed, WoW classic is by far superior game to the shitfest which retail has become. /end of sacrasm

Another thing is that there won't be any world firsts on classic.

I mean, those happened in 2005 and 2006 already.

Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post
    I think a lot of players will realize they are wrong, whenever they start to play classic.

Have you guys seen venruki newest video, he was one of the biggest naysayer and retail baby, but look at him now.
    Can you eleborate what the are 'wrong' about?

And I have not seen the video.
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

I played the beta the last 3 days and i can tell as a "veteran" the magic is gone. Back then everything was exciting and new, but now its a dull grind, boring af, with absolutely retarded quests. Nearly every "bring 10 of something quest" is a stupid grind with 50-60 mobs or even more. Dungeons, Raids, etc. will be cleared in no time, simply because everyone plays much better than back in vanilla.

It will have its time the first 3-4 months, after that its PvP only for nostalgic reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post
    I would love to see a poll which shows if the people wanting classic servers so much actually played classic, and I mean REALLY played it. From leveling to raiding to alterac
    There are more people in the world that have quit WoW that didn't see vanilla WoW than did. It's fair for some of them to be curious about it and support the idea. I started in Burning Crusade. I'll play it and see how it is. Some people will stick with it, many won't. A lot can check out streams and probably suddenly realize that it's not really all that different from when they played. Slower and requires more patience. Depending on what sort of gamer they are that can be attractive or a complete turn-off.

If I could see anything about the game after six months it would be the demographics. I'm guessing they'll skew older than the retail game which already skews older than most people realize. Online games that have a base cost $150+ a year are a luxury for most people in a digital world where there's tons and tons more to do than there was in 2005. Countering that is that subscription based content is making a comeback in digital properties so we'll see. I doubt that there are going to be a lot of kids playing though.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Reality will kick in when they realize in order to make money they'll have to grind mobs everyone else is grinding or using gathering professions without flying in the areas with elite mobs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    There are more people in the world that have quit WoW that didn't see vanilla WoW than did. It's fair for some of them to be curious about it and support the idea. I started in Burning Crusade. I'll play it and see how it is. Some people will stick with it, many won't. A lot can check out streams and probably suddenly realize that it's not really all that different from when they played. Slower and requires more patience. Depending on what sort of gamer they are that can be attractive or a complete turn-off.

If I could see anything about the game after six months it would be the demographics. I'm guessing they'll skew older than the retail game which already skews older than most people realize. Online games that have a base cost $150+ a year are a luxury for most people in a digital world where there's tons and tons more to do than there was in 2005. Countering that is that subscription based content is making a comeback in digital properties so we'll see. I doubt that there are going to be a lot of kids playing though.
    I think the areas where a lot less weird and mixed than after cata revamp. I loved old darkwood. But what's in no way compatible with today's game is the fun you have with all the different specs. Basically every spec has some fun abilities quiet fast now. And you can just enjoy leveling. Did you try to level a paladin or a warrior back then? It's horrible and really no fun. But yeah, it's great to have the option in the client.
    The vanilla crowd is just a bit too loud at the moment for my taste.
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

10+ Year Old Account
    Overtake BFA? Most likely yes. Next expansion? No idéa

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Assorted Whip View Post
    Reality will kick in when they realize in order to make money they'll have to grind mobs everyone else is grinding or using gathering professions without flying in the areas with elite mobs.
    Oh the horror, having to work for my gold
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    What a bunch of not nonsense bs classic was never high in subs you can sugar coat it all you want but classic was crap , I was there to do it from day one and people will have a rude awakening when they realise what it really was
    What are you even talking about? Classic had millions of subscribers, its peak was somewhere around 8 million before TBC hit. One year after launch Classic almost had 5 million subscribers and that's a lot more than WoW has right now at the moment.

WoW with BfA is at an all time low, you can deny it but it's undeniable and obvious. The main focus until the next expansion is clearly Classic because it generates a lot more buzz then 8.2 or even 8.3 will.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Link your armory with mythic Jaina and Uu'nat then big man
    Nobady cares about higher difficulty levels. Retail offers easy mods = retail is easy. You can finish entire game content from city pressing 1 button. Higher difficulty is not new content thats why game difficulty is determined by lowest possible difficulty not highest.

Classic will never overtake retail because retail has the potential to get better while classic will always be classic, it will always be the same old stuff we did back then, and we will always know what to expect and what comes next. With retail it'll be "I wonder what they'll do next, will it be good or bad?" I'm really hoping blizzard takes a look at classic and analyze what made people love it so much and implements concepts into retail.

Yes. Classic will be boom on the start. Yes some people will stay there. But that's all. Classic have noting to deliver. Noting.

I play this game since then. Yes classes was more fun..but even more fun was BC. Raids were horrible mess also fixed in BC. If you want good expansion...classic is not what you looking for. And even people who defending it right now will soon change their mind. We don't need classic. We need better retail. Developers who revert scaling,pvp changes and return back our abilites.

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    Classic will never overtake retail because retail has the potential to get better while classic will always be classic, it will always be the same old stuff we did back then, and we will always know what to expect and what comes next. With retail it'll be "I wonder what they'll do next, will it be good or bad?" I'm really hoping blizzard takes a look at classic and analyze what made people love it so much and implements concepts into retail.
    The point of Classic is that there is competition. In PvP and in PvE. Even for non-elitist players. Retail only offers stuff for Heroic/Mythic raiders or maybe Mythic+ players. That's it. There is almost nothing exciting or interesting about chasing difficulty stage 39 after clearing all the other 38 stages.

You know what will keep players engaged? AQ opening. That will be epic. There will be a gigantic race for the top spot. Same goes with PvP ranks etc. The incentives in Classic are a lot bigger than they are now in BfA. That's why so many players are waiting for Classic. It might be an illusion at some degree but players are just so hungry for Classic because BfA is so bad. A Classic launch during Legion's cycle most likely would have failed. A Classic launch during BfA's cycle is perfect because players are sick and tired of BfA for months now and this expansion will drag for another year until it's over. There couldn't have been a better time for a Classic launch than right now.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

People saying it won't are just in living denial. They don't want to see classic succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Artelia View Post
    Yes. Classic will be boom on the start. Yes some people will stay there. But that's all. Classic have noting to deliver. Noting.

I play this game since then. Yes classes was more fun..but even more fun was BC. Raids were horrible mess also fixed in BC. If you want good expansion...classic is not what you looking for. And even people who defending it right now will soon change their mind. We don't need classic. We need better retail. Developers who revert scaling,pvp changes and return back our abilites.
    Thats not enough. They also have to remove LFG, LFR, difficutly levels, mythic+ and go back to old style of dungeons, world content have to be harder, proffesions have to matter, pernamently remove flying, etc.. But we all know that non of that will ever happen so we have to setle with classic.