Thread: [Movie] Aladdin

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post

Im glad Will Smith is having fun as genie because it looks like no one else will be.

Just what you didnt think Aladdin needed! Softcore rap!
    Yikes, that looks cringey af.

I mean its not terrible but it seems like Will Smith playing Will Smith not the Genie.
    To be honest Robin Williams was mostly just playing Robin Williams with his portrayal of Genie. The magic of the character is that it's a 4th wall breaking character.
    Signature not found

I think this is the first live action movie from Disney where I get a good feeling about it from the trailer. I know not to get my hopes up, but please pull this 1 off.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Im glad Will Smith is having fun as genie because it looks like no one else will be.

Just what you didnt think Aladdin needed! Softcore rap!
    Not gonna lie I think this looks pretty good and am looking forward to seeing it.

I also wonder if the left the line about him having slaves in the song.

I actually think it looks good, not a fan of Will Smith's singing there. I hope its getting touched up later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it supposed to look like a low budget Bollywood movie?
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Personally I always thought the premise and source material were kind of silly in the first place. I could never stand the "smug rogues with a heart of gold" type characters, so maybe that is why I never cared much about the franchise as a whole. That is probably also why I never really got the outrage about the first trailer. My only complaint would have been Jaffar, the guy really does not do the original justice, but they were probably scared to put in some actually evil looking middle eastern guy.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Personally I always thought the premise and source material were kind of silly in the first place. I could never stand the "smug rogues with a heart of gold" type characters, so maybe that is why I never cared much about the franchise as a whole. That is probably also why I never really got the outrage about the first trailer. My only complaint would have been Jaffar, the guy really does not do the original justice, but they were probably scared to put in some actually evil looking middle eastern guy.
    Gangsters are actually normally quite generous with their ill gotten gains.

Easy come easy go.

And fostering friendships/communities helps protect their illegal businesses.

How many people do you think Pablo Escobar had on his payroll in his peak? Its in the thousands.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Gangsters are actually normally quite generous with their ill gotten gains.

Easy come easy go.

And fostering friendships/communities helps protect their illegal businesses.

How many people do you think Pablo Escobar had on his payroll in his peak? Its in the thousands.
    Not sure why you quoted me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have any of the Disney live adaptions been good? Half of barely get any marketing in the first place.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Have any of the Disney live adaptions been good? Half of barely get any marketing in the first place.
    does Christopher robin count?

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Not sure why you quoted me.
    "I could never stand the "smug rogues with a heart of gold" type characters"

Smug rogues with a heart of gold do exist, so you're getting upset at writers/artists reflecting the real world.

Criminals can have charm, just wanted to enlighten you.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

saw it today due to an advanced screening ticket from work.

It was god awful lol. Not a movie I'd pay to see. Most of the movie looked really, really tacky and third rate. What surprised me was that Will did nail Genie though, just like the guy did in the stage show. The main playing Aladdin was fucking dreadful, but Jasmine was fine and has a decent voice.

No hot red Jasmine dress and half the scenes from the animated movie were not there. New songs as well. All around massive disappointment if you've seen the animated version
    Oceanic spriest, thanks blizz for giving us aus servers. 9/9 mythic.

"I could never stand the "smug rogues with a heart of gold" type characters"

Smug rogues with a heart of gold do exist, so you're getting upset at writers/artists reflecting the real world.

Criminals can have charm, just wanted to enlighten you.
    Well I'd argue most types of characters exist, that just doesn't mean I have to like them. I don't like saint type characters either, eve though they do exist.

15+ Year Old Account
    i dont know but i dont want to see this

Smith is clever enough to not try to be Robin Williams.
    But then he fucks it up with being himself.

Hard pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    For me I haven't liked a single one... Not even a little :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Its Disney, of course it will make money. Are you a shareholder or something?

I mean its not terrible but it seems like Will Smith playing Will Smith not the Genie.

Fair but then again wasn't Robin Williams basically playing Robin Williams in the movie complete with gratuitous out of place for the setting pop culture references everywhere int he original too?

...but Robin Williams was hilarious.

just saw this movie yesterday with MY KIDS. i think they did a great job with it, it was fun. the people playing aladdin and jasmin did really well in their roles.

will smith. at the very beginning i was like "should have been the rock" but as the movie went on i think he fit into the genie role and made it his own.

i think a lot of 30+ year old "movie critics" are beating this movie up too much. remember, this isn't for us. as a company Disney as to keep making new fans. so what do you do? you modernize stories that worked in the past. the genie has a more hip hop (albeit will smith style hip hop) vibe and i think that's perfectly fine.

i would watch it again.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...