Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    People enjoyed BFA for the first days as well. This doesn't mean anything.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some people on this forum would call me a classic nay sayer because I'm not quite as excited about it as I was when they first announced it and I'm quite skeptical of some of the decisions Blizzard has made regarding it, but after playing beta for a couple days I don't really feel there was anything I was wrong about. Classic is a very simple but tedious game and a lot of the challenge in it stems from that. It's cool that people who didn't get to play it will get to play it now even if I don't expect them to stick around long after launch, but some of the most ball busting things about Vanilla that I found so fun when it was current aren't coming back in Classic.

Warriors in classic won't ever get the experience of farming arcanite to have someone craft an Arcanite Reaper and then 2-shotting a rogue or clothy, rogues won't have the experience of farming a barman shanker. Warriors won't know how much rage generation sucked balls until you had epics. Players won't get the experience of running the 5-mans when they were challenging, when people raided them to faceroll them instead of running them as they were intended. I still think people are going to be very disappointed at the early max level content from the dungeons to the first raids, I'll be pleasantly surprised if those don't get blown up instantly, and same for the following raids.

I will say now that they've announced cross realm PvP I'll probably level a character just to PvP since I know the queue times won't suck nearly as much as they did when I did the R14 grind back in Vanilla. So that's a positive.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Quaade View Post
    That's you. You're you instead of the vast average. If you have an eight hour with 1 of hour transportation each way, which is about the average, that's 10 hours shaved away from your free time, - eight hours for sleep (average again), that leaves six hours in a day. Six hours divided between relaxation and family.

If you can find the time good for you, just stop assuming that everyone has your experiences, This is the average. Which obviously excludes you.
    Give the family 4 out of 6 hours on average and it's still 10 hours a week, which is very much more than enough for both vanilla and another hobby. Could also try to invite your family to share this hobby with you My girlfriends entire family played WoW since release, that was their kind of family time. Anything is possible.

I know I'm quite fortunte. I have 5 min drive to work and lots of spare time, but I'm quite sure the majority do have enough time to play.

And you do know that Nihilum was a guild with pretty much a good mix with people with jobs and families right? They managed to get a few world firsts

Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by deviant010 View Post
    For years I have read people (who probably pretend to have played vanilla) on this forum saying vanilla was bad and people think it was great because of nostalgia. Now classic beta is open we can finally have a fair comparison and it's funny to see how the nay sayers admit they were wrong after playing beta.

Missleading Thread title, since when does a single person speak for the whole community??

Quote Originally Posted by Miake View Post
    Missleading Thread title, since when does a single person speak for the whole community??
    when it fits the agenda

It's almost as if some people like some types of games and other people like other types of games.......

Quote Originally Posted by diarx View Post
    Did zhevra hooves on beta last night, ~10 minutes for me.

Pristine yeti horns will be the real test.
    It takes a lot of skill to find the right yetis for those horns.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusblood View Post
    Those are huge assumptions.
    What am I assuming?

Quote Originally Posted by joggerwearerlol View Post
    of course hes saying that
    why?
    because hes a fulltime streamer and he sees $$$$ which can be made with streaming classic
    God forbid someone just admit they were wrong about something. Who the fuck does that, amirite?
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    vanilla WoW's inbuilt mechanics are so solid that its going to keep people playing for quite a while
    I do not know what you mean. What are the "inbuilt mechanics"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodykiller86 View Post
    i played vanilla, its definitely overrated. definitely never want its slow gameplay, boring rotations, and terrible quests in live ever again. love the new style of quests and the way everything flows.
    flows so good it plays itself.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    .....Is the beta not heavily limited in level?

I think that there is still many things missing to say, if Classic is good or not, especially when start hitting lvl 50+, where the majority of the games content lies.

Besides, leveling in a "new" game is always fun the first few times, lets see how it goes when we are 6+ months in and people are getting used to things.
    The best dungeons are in the 50-60 range. The 1-30 experience is not the best part of the game really especially when you consider dungeons. The worst parts of classic are the 40 hump of farming for the basic mount and the 60 hump of farming for the epic mount if you ever got one without buying gold.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamercus View Post
    The best dungeons are in the 50-60 range. The 1-30 experience is not the best part of the game really especially when you consider dungeons. The worst parts of classic are the 40 hump of farming for the basic mount and the 60 hump of farming for the epic mount if you ever got one without buying gold.
    The best content is indeed at lvl 50-60, but that is also where it becomes clear how WoWs late game really is, and that realization is what will determine if Classic is a success or a dud. The amount of time i spent at lvl 20-50, is the same i spent with 50-59. Either it will be really good to experience Eastern/Western Plaquelands again or it will be the boot, that makes the farm too real.

I am also looking forward to see how Classics raid scene will manage. Will it be hard and fun, or will all the guides and clear directions to gear and BiS ruin the experience? For my entire Vanilla experience, i never cleared Scholomance and i still loved it. I wonder if that same love will still be there, when i am much more aimed at clearing it faster.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    The best content is indeed at lvl 50-60, but that is also where it becomes clear how WoWs late game really is, and that realization is what will determine if Classic is a success or a dud. The amount of time i spent at lvl 20-50, is the same i spent with 50-59. Either it will be really good to experience Eastern/Western Plaquelands again or it will be the boot, that makes the farm too real.

I am also looking forward to see how Classics raid scene will manage. Will it be hard and fun, or will all the guides and clear directions to gear and BiS ruin the experience? For my entire Vanilla experience, i never cleared Scholomance and i still loved it. I wonder if that same love will still be there, when i am much more aimed at clearing it faster.
    I am in the beta. I was in a potato guild during classic and I am a middling mythic raider now (top US 100-500 depending on what guild, probably top 100 next tier).

Classic raiding is just really straightforward and simple compared to the last several expansions. Most classes have a 1-3 button rotation or priority list. The encounters are generally simpler than most BFA trash pulls in dungeons. BiS lists and eventually sims generate characters that have over 3-5x+ the output of your average vanilla potato. It will be interesting to do the raids with a 20 man group or less but with a full 40 man that is optimized most encounters will just flop over very quickly without the need to farm resistance gear and the like, partly due to 1.12 being different and partly due to people just being much better at playing the game and optimizing.

Whereas something like Garr in vanilla required a bunch of potatoes painstakingly picking banish targets and doing assignments for 15 minutes an opitmized group will just mongo it to death on the first pull. The trash on Magmadar is more likely to cause issues in a PUG than Magmadar itself because the trash does something novel that you have to know about ahead of time. Some dudes like Golemagg do practically nothing. Things like Ragnaros that potato guilds used fire protection potions on and fire resistance gear can just be managed with better healing, CD usage, and raid positioning.

There are certain encounters that are just novel and a little weird like Razergore in BWL that people need special instructions for but anything that is just dependent on output will be steamrolled.

I don't think raiding classic will be analogous to raiding mythic in retail because progressing through the raid will be like "progressing" in heroic in a mythic guild: full clear on night 1 or by night 2 at the latest. People don't want to believe it but when the beta cap raises most of the content until AQ40 will be largely puggable, and even that is puggable with the right instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by duselsteiner View Post
    I really think blizzard should add zhevra hoofs to their shop. People would buy them.
    Why are you so stuck on this one thing? lol. Its like 99% of your posts on this topic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by duselsteiner View Post
    The community changed massively since classic.

Today i expect people to sell dungeonruns as like Onyxia prequest runs.

For only 500g.

In the old days people did not sell runs.
    Um you never played vanilla then. I ran a guild through all of Vanilla. We sold MC / BWL runs like it was going out of style lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    Um you never played vanilla then. I ran a guild through all of Vanilla. We sold MC / BWL runs like it was going out of style lol.
    I played Vanilla. And no, there was not nowadays epidemic amount of sale runs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    Why are you so stuck on this one thing? lol. Its like 99% of your posts on this topic.
    I think the complete hype about classic is ridiculous. I mean.. people have forgotten all the downsides of classic with their nostalgic view on what it was.

Reminds me to the launch of SWTOR, Wildstar and other failed MMORPGs. When people talked about "the big wow killers", which just killed themself. Classic is the same hype. And will have the same result. A lot of people who will create a char. A lot of people who quit after 2 weeks after they discovered how pathetic classic was.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    The only problem that I have with classic is that you have to pay the full sub for it. There's zero new content ever coming out for it, and for how dated everything is, it could probably run on a smart fridge, let alone I'm sure that they're older servers they already own will be able to handle the game. So why not either let it be "free" with full subscription (like it currently is) but, allow those of us that only want to play classic to be able to play at half sub cost.
    Eh, it might set a bad precedent, or there may be more work being done than we can see? Not to mention that if this works out, they're strongly considering TBC and Wrath servers, which I would consider "new content" from the standard Classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I mean I haven't heard anyone say the game was bad then, I've heard a lot of people say it had a lot of issues. I played when it was released and I came from FFXI which in comparison to that WoW was way less of a grind than that. I mean WoW you could solo play anytime you wanted to unless doing a dungeon or raid. But compared to the quality of life changes retail haas gotten it's a lot more player friendly now. Personally I think a lot of you are going to be disappointed. The wait times to find a group as a DPS was dreadful and then you have to walk out there. Nothing like being in IF and having to trek out to SM hoping the Horde aren't annihilating SS so you only have to walk the rest of the way on foot and then sneak by Undercity. I haven't bothered looking at what they have changed from the original except I know there is a X realm for PVP which I would be ok with that if I ever played to play classic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamercus View Post
    I am in the beta. I was in a potato guild during classic and I am a middling mythic raider now (top US 100-500 depending on what guild, probably top 100 next tier).

Classic raiding is just really straightforward and simple compared to the last several expansions. Most classes have a 1-3 button rotation or priority list. The encounters are generally simpler than most BFA trash pulls in dungeons. BiS lists and eventually sims generate characters that have over 3-5x+ the output of your average vanilla potato. It will be interesting to do the raids with a 20 man group or less but with a full 40 man that is optimized most encounters will just flop over very quickly without the need to farm resistance gear and the like, partly due to 1.12 being different and partly due to people just being much better at playing the game and optimizing.

Whereas something like Garr in vanilla required a bunch of potatoes painstakingly picking banish targets and doing assignments for 15 minutes an opitmized group will just mongo it to death on the first pull. The trash on Magmadar is more likely to cause issues in a PUG than Magmadar itself because the trash does something novel that you have to know about ahead of time. Some dudes like Golemagg do practically nothing. Things like Ragnaros that potato guilds used fire protection potions on and fire resistance gear can just be managed with better healing, CD usage, and raid positioning.

There are certain encounters that are just novel and a little weird like Razergore in BWL that people need special instructions for but anything that is just dependent on output will be steamrolled.

I don't think raiding classic will be analogous to raiding mythic in retail because progressing through the raid will be like "progressing" in heroic in a mythic guild: full clear on night 1 or by night 2 at the latest. People don't want to believe it but when the beta cap raises most of the content until AQ40 will be largely puggable, and even that is puggable with the right instructions.
    Well here is the surprising thing: I did raid in Vanilla, up to AQ40 actually, but i still never completed Scholomance...the same is actually with Dire Maul, where i never saw 3-4 of the bosses. I simply got past dungeoning without clearing them all, having my nights be filled with ZG, MC and BWL. Doing dungeons did not really make sense after i got some gear here and there, atleast back then.

But to get on topic: Talking about Vanilla raiding and comparing it to mythic is just a dumb idea. The complexity of mythic raiding is simply not in Vanilla raids. What i am more interested in, is if we will see people be split in the progression, if we will see large parts of the playerbase do ZG and MC when new raids hit out. Will we see raids being cleared quickly or be actual progression in all aspects? Will there be created a community, that can take new players through the different raids or will most of the guilds be mostly progressing on the newest raid only, with a bit of farming for a few players.

This again returns us to how interesting Classic is as an experiment, because i truly believe that it can go in all kinds of directions. It can crash and burn, it can get a leg and survive on a small playerbase, it can get something close to retail, it can beat retail in playtime and it might even take over as the dominant game overall. Its all very interesting and its gonna be fun to observe.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

We won't really know until classic has been out for a while and the 'newness' of it for lack of a better word fades. Time will be the judge of classic for how many people it draws in to play it consistently.