France threatens journalists with jail time for exposing use of French arms in Yemen

French journalists could face up to five years in prison and be fined up to $83,000

France has threatened three French journalists with potential jail time for using secret documents to reveal the country's involvement in the Yemen civil war.

The documents, authored by France's Directorate of Military Intelligence (DSGI), showed that senior French officials had lied about the role of French weapons in the Yemen War.

Press Freedom has been protected for more than 130 years under the Press Law of 1881, which gives journalists the right to keep sources confidential.

But the law, however, does not cover national security

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/f...nch-arms-yemen

Are you surprised French weapons are being used in the Yemeni civil war?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    France threatens journalists with jail time for exposing use of French arms in Yemen
    Technically speaking the potential jailtime would be for publically releasing classified intelligence documents plus potentially taking part in or being party to their theft. The fact that said documents contained information about the Saudi led coalitions attempts to help Yemen defeat extremist insurgents isn't really relevant to the laws they broke.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Technically speaking the potential jailtime would be for publically releasing classified intelligence documents plus potentially taking part in or being party to their theft. The fact that said documents contained information about the Saudi led coalitions attempts to help Yemen defeat extremist insurgents isn't really relevant to the laws they broke.
    The problem with this kind of thinking is it allows governments to suppress the press by declaring anything they don't like as classified. This is a case of the government flat out denying involvement in something and being proven to be involved. Don't get me wrong I understand the need to keep some information classified as it can directly lead to people getting killed, but that is not the case here. The leaked information does not endanger lives.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    As if Hubcap cared about context.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    The problem with this kind of thinking is it allows governments to suppress the press by declaring anything they don't like as classified.
    Actually: No, that is circular reasoning on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    The problem with this kind of thinking is it allows governments to suppress the press by declaring anything they don't like as classified. This is a case of the government flat out denying involvement in something and being proven to be involved. Don't get me wrong I understand the need to keep some information classified as it can directly lead to people getting killed, but that is not the case here. The leaked information does not endanger lives.

In America it's done like this. A news reporter gets information usually from an informant. It's classified secret by the government. The newspaper publishes it. The government can't do anything to the newspaper because of the "freedom of the press" law. However, sometimes the government can get the courts to demand the reporter to reveal his source. If the reporter refuses, the judge can put him in jail on contempt of court charges. Usually the reporter will do no more than 6 months in jail. This is rare but it happens.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Sweden's weapons are also in Yemen but who cares gotta sell them to someone. Iran and Saudi can both fuck off anyways and i dont care what side kills who with swedish arms.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Sweden's weapons are also in Yemen but who cares gotta sell them to someone. Iran and Saudi can both fuck off anyways and i dont care what side kills who with swedish arms.
    Still doesn't beat the cold war era, where your PMs would be calling for world peace and all that; while being one the largest weapon manufacturers in the world
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

Quote Originally Posted by Howel View Post
    Still doesn't beat the cold war era, where your PMs would be calling for world peace and all that; while being one the largest weapon manufacturers in the world
    Shhh we dont talk about that
    Do you hear the voices too?