Rewatched the finale. Teared up again during the scenes with Drogon and Ghost. I think Jon got the ending that he wanted after all, even if he doesn't realize it.

Kindof sad Littlefinger wasn't around during the finale. He's been dead awhile now but still feels to me like he should be there, even if his death was fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Wheel of Time series was always superior, even the shoddy books 8-10. Unlike asoiaf they got completed and ended very satisfactorily by Sanderson.
    You'll be lucky if there's another A Song of Ice and Fire book before Martin drops.
    I'll check it out. I don't think ASOIAF is great writing beyond the first few books. I have A Dance With Dragons sitting on my bookshelf and it is so enormously plodding at points, I simply can't bother to read through it.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Wermys View Post
    The end result is just gong to be squabbling. TBH most of the remaining lords are incompetent leaders. Edmure Tully is an idiot, Royce who is Robin Aerryn regent isn't bright, Yara Greyjoy wants to trade with everyone. Dorn is pretty much fighting amonst themselves. And the Reach has no leader, and Westerlands has Tyrion. Just a big mess allaround
    Pretty much. They cut out a lot of stuff which was annoying, even in the ending.

Honestly, another episode could fix a few problems, but they wanted certain things in the finale.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

So Varys was sending out letters about Jon's true parentage... to no avail... what was the point?

I was expecting maybe some sort of battle with the lords... I mean the queen is dead and Drogon fucked off. After the letters Varys was sending out I expected there to be an army of Westeros against the savage army of Dany.

I guess they kinda forgot about the letters...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Rewatched the finale. Teared up again during the scenes with Drogon and Ghost. I think Jon got the ending that he wanted after all, even if he doesn't realize it.

Kindof sad Littlefinger wasn't around during the finale. He's been dead awhile now but still feels to me like he should be there, even if his death was fitting.

I'll check it out. I don't think ASOIAF is great writing beyond the first few books. I have A Dance With Dragons sitting on my bookshelf and it is so enormously plodding at points, I simply can't bother to read through it.
    I have the audio books.

I remember when I read the first book and thought it a good intro. I stuck it out until book 4 and I just couldn't continue anymore.

As for the Wheel of Time series, (my old review) book 1 was a good introduction to the world and our main heroes. And I enjoyed book 2 on its own merits. When I finished book 3 I was disgusted when I realized it wasn't a trilogy and when book 4 came out I ignored it for a year. When book 5 came out and I saw the fourth book was in the discount bin well...since I didn't have anything else to read at the moment I gave it a whirl. And the direction the story went into was quite the surprise to me. When I finished it I was really curious about book 5, and after finishing that, I wanted book 6 NOW! Book 6 was a high point and hard to top. I remember being so into book 6 I was almost yelling at it. The buildup to that ending was intense! Things kind of slowed down, and I know many that were disappointed with books 9 and 10. He experimented with differing writing styles and that decreased the quality quite a bit. But he came back at the 11th book. However, everyone was absolutely dismayed and devastated when Robert Jordan passed away after that book.

But everyone was shamelessly cheered when the news came out that the series would be finished by coauthor Brandon Sanderson. (under the editing aegis of Jordan's wife, who also edited all of her husband's work.) And book 12 came out and was read with a degree of relief. (He smoothed out some of Jordan's prose and the collaboration was definitely a good read). The last book "Memory of Light" was epic, and it ended on a satisfying high note.

*Burns down an entire city in cold blood*

Arya: I know a killer when I see one...

Can we add master detective to Arya's list of skills?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    We don’t actually know if he got to send them off. We see him writing one and then burning one, but no mention of ravens carrying them out or other houses receiving the news.

I’m assuming he didn’t get a chance to send them.
    Possibly. I always assumed he sent them off and it was just another thing D&D forgot about.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    We don’t actually know if he got to send them off. We see him writing one and then burning one, but no mention of ravens carrying them out or other houses receiving the news.

I’m assuming he didn’t get a chance to send them.
    Even if he did, Jon's claim would seem fairly suspicious right now, due to being the one who murdered Dany.

Ben Shapiro is mostly known as a conservative.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    With the extra length it was more like 8, but sure.

Look, I'm going to imagine you have never written anything in your life here because the actual writing wasn't worse. It was different. It's bad to change styles mid stream, but that's the style they write with. It differs greatly from Martin's. That's a fault of suits putting the wrong people in charge of a project because they don't know the difference between one writer and another. This whole thing is pretty obviously them trying to finish someone else's vision with only a very basic outline of where it was going while also adapting from a totally different narrative style. To finish it Martin's way would have taken 2-3 more seasons that they just didn't have.
    gonna have to press (X) to doubt that. DnD worked with the writer, they knew the thought process, the influences, and then completely fell off the rail in direction when they were tasked with holding the mantle of direction for the show. THEY fucked up. THEY ruined the show. THEY are to blame. THEY are responsible, not the execs of HBO. THEY were the ones who are aware of their capacity to emulate George RR Martin. Any critical thinker knows where they stand when taking over the project of someone else, if its writing, business direction, finances, coaching a professional team; any person taking over a major role, should be aware of the shoes being filled. It is sad knowing DnD have openly gone on record as saying they are getting drunk and staying far far away from GoT, because they are more than aware that they fucked up. that they are fucking morons, that they barely filled half of one of those metaphorical shoes.

Even if he did, Jon's claim would seem fairly suspicious right now, due to being the one who murdered Dany.
    Meh. If you follow the lines of succession there are obvious choices.

If you consider Targaryens are the rulers: Daenerys' death makes Jon king. If you oust him for murder, his closest male kin is Bran. There you go. Bran being king suddenly makes sense.

If you consider Lannisters the rulers: Cersei's death would make Tyrion next in line to be king.

If you consider Baratheons still the rulers: Robert, Stannis, and Renly's death gives Gendry the strongest claim to be king.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Meh. If you follow the lines of succession there are obvious choices.

If you consider Targaryens are the rulers: Daenerys' death makes Jon king. If you oust him for murder, his closest male kin is Bran. There you go. Bran being king suddenly makes sense.

If you consider Lannisters the rulers: Cersei's death would make Tyrion next in line to be king.

If you consider Baratheons still the rulers: Robert, Stannis, and Renly's death gives Gendry the strongest claim to be king.
    I could see an ending where Gendry could have ended up king. Would have required more character development but it could have worked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    *Burns down an entire city in cold blood*

Arya: I know a killer when I see one...

Can we add master detective to Arya's list of skills?
    Drogon is also a detective in this universe:

Kinda glad that this show is finally over. I've loved it for at least season 1-6, after that it got way to hard to defend the show from its flaws. Season 7 was pretty bad but 8 is bad on a whole new level. Dissapointed with how the Night King ended, dissapointed with Cersei's and Jaime's death, dissapointed with the overall writing (especially for Tyrion and Jon), and dissapointed with the crowning of the next king who happens to be the guy not doing shit this entire season.

Poor Ramsay was wrong after all when he said that this story was not going to have a happy ending, considering everyone had one except for the Targaryans. They really needed at least one more season to properly flesh out all the storylines they had, rather than rushing them all out in a single episode ina rather short season. But it was obvious that the cast just wanted the show to be doen asap. Even the actors didn't seem to like this season either.

Also lol at that 4.5/10 rating on IMDB

Now that the show is over, this is how I'd rank every season from best to worst:

1. Season 3
    2. Season 4
    3. Season 1
    4. Season 2
    5. Season 6
    6. Season 5
    7. Season 7
    8. Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    Sansa declaring independence but none of the other kingdoms following suit is one of the dumbest moments in the show. I can't even bring myself to re-watch the earlier seasons at this point - the ending has just soured even the good stuff.
    This exactly, just totally ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    Sansa declaring independence but none of the other kingdoms following suit is one of the dumbest moments in the show. I can't even bring myself to re-watch the earlier seasons at this point - the ending has just soured even the good stuff.
    Everyone there knew that the two of them were siblings so she had pull they didn't. Also she made it sound like the North had sacrificed more than the other kingdoms did, after the war against the NK there is some merit to that statement.

Since the Unsullied are going to die anyways, why the fuck didnt Jhon just hid somewhere close???

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    This exactly, just totally ridiculous.
    because? the north is bigger than all of the other kingdoms combined? how is that hard to understand really? it was established many seasons ago and in the books as well...

5+ Year Old Account
    Everyone there knew that the two of them were siblings so she had pull they didn't. Also she made it sound like the North had sacrificed more than the other kingdoms did, after the war against the NK there is some merit to that statement.
    They're no longer siblings, though. Bran isn't Bran any longer.

Lot of people forget that the only reason the North is in this federation to begin with is that they threw their lot in with Aegon the First when he was planning to burninate the southern kingdoms. No one actually has the power to compel them to remain a vassal state. That's why a friendly. northern house had to act as "Warden" and it all fell apart the moment that ceased to work.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Bran the ultimate villain of the show. I like it because it's so immensely stupid it's good.