Poll: Do you believe a person can be psychic?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Classic wow will remind everyone what made MMOs great, and hopefully usher in a golden age of MMO gaming that isn't garbage like modern wow.

My prediction. I'm psychic, yo

No, because I don't believe in the supernatural to any extent.

I don't believe in psychics, ghosts, the devil, etc. I believe in science and I hardly even believe there's intelligent life out there in the universe, mostly because I'm a "seeing is believing" type person.

I keep an open mind.
    A closed mind goes nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Do you always make stupid, pointless threads?
    36,594 posts since 2011.

8x365 (+2 for Leap Years) = 2,922
    36,594 / 2,922 = 12.52 posts a day
    24 hours a day, minus 8 hours of sleep (for a "standard"): 16 hours, or almost 1 post per waking hour

It may not be all he does, but it sure eats up a lot of his time.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Actually science is getting closer to actually proving some of these things exist. There's actual legitimate quantum level science saying that we do essentially have souls(just not "given by some god" but more a universal energy that goes back to the universe). Believing flat earth is more akin to doubting psychic power CAN exist. I don't believe that it exists to the level of the tarot readers etc, but there's enough to say that there might be some sort of truth to gut feelings and deja vu feelings. That goes back to another area of science they're currently looking into basically saying our relationship with time isn't quite what we think it is.

- - - Updated - - -

You can answer yes and not mean like Ms Cleo or a crystal ball. I think people can have slight premonition and it's happened too often to be coincidental. Now actually sitting there and saying "tomorrow there is going to be a bomb at Times Square" is way different. I'm talking like "something bad is going to happen and I think I should stay home".
    That boils down to confirmation bias. It is a bit like "true love", we fancy someone new 25 times a day and the moment someone we fancy returns those feelings it is "love at first sight" and "soul mates". What it actually is is basic math and probability. A million different thoughts go through our heads about the future every day and a bunch of those are bound to be correct. This has been tested extensively and there has never been a single shred of evidence that there is a single psychic person in the world.

Also, no legitimate science is proving that we have souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    That boils down to confirmation bias. It is a bit like "true love", we fancy someone new 25 times a day and the moment someone we fancy returns those feelings it is "love at first sight" and "soul mates". What it actually is is basic math and probability. A million different thoughts go through our heads about the future every day and a bunch of those are bound to be correct. This has been tested extensively and there has never been a single shred of evidence that there is a single psychic person in the world.

Also, no legitimate science is proving that we have souls.
    Except it isn't confirmation bias. There's potential science backing slight premonition. Visions, no. Premonition, yes. You can claim confirmation bias all you want, but you really have no proof of it. Confirmation bias is something that you actually need to prove.

I'm unequivocally in the Stephen Jay Gould camp that sees science and the prospect of souls as two...too different areas and domains and sees no conflict. (Non-overlapping magisteria)
    Suck it Dawkins!

Except it isn't confirmation bias. There's potential science backing slight premonition. Visions, no. Premonition, yes. You can claim confirmation bias all you want, but you really have no proof of it. Confirmation bias is something that you actually need to prove.
    Potential science? Slight premonition? So basically you have people that are not quite scientists that can not quite prove premonition.

As for confirmation bias, if you know how it works you have your proof right there. No one is questioning if confirmation bias is a thing, not even "potential science" ....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm unequivocally in the Stephen Jay Gould camp that sees science and the prospect of souls as two...too different areas and domains and sees no conflict. (Non-overlapping magisteria)
    Suck it Dawkins!
    Of course there isn't any "overlapping magisteria" To find that would be like finding something in a My Little Pony book that contradicts Newton's laws of motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    Potential science? Slight premonition? So basically you have people that are not quite scientists that can not quite prove premonition.

As for confirmation bias, if you know how it works you have your proof right there. No one is questioning if confirmation bias is a thing, not even "potential science" ....

- - - Updated - - -

Of course there isn't any "overlapping magisteria" To find that would be like finding something in a My Little Pony book that contradicts Newton's laws of motion.
    No, the potential science is that there are actual scientific studies in physics that eventually led to them studying this. You keep quoting potential science and acting like you're smart when you don't even understand. Move along.

No, the potential science is that there are actual scientific studies in physics that eventually led to them studying this. You keep quoting potential science and acting like you're smart when you don't even understand. Move along.
    So it has led to them studying this? Ok, where are those studies?

...and I haven't quoted any "potential science", what ever that is.

15+ Year Old Account
    BILLIONS of people around the world believe in dumber stuff, so why believe in this dumb shit as well?
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a link to a peer reviewed biosciences journal article you can share

From a scientific point of view: "Lolno". There's no basis for why any sort of person or 'spirit' would exist after death. The people who believe in it essentially believe that magic exists.

Sometimes I can't tell if those people are just trying to mess with others or if they actually believe in that crap...

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but I believe a person can genuinely believe that they themselves are psychic.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    We don’t know. We have no proof nothing exists, just as we have no proof something does.

It’s up for you to decide.
    No it's not. The default position should be that it DOESN'T exist until some tangible evidence proves otherwise. If you want to be irrational about it so be it, but it's silly to pose it as the difference between preferring vanilla or chocolate.

People can be good at deductions (like in Sherlock) but definitely no one is psychic

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Do you always make stupid, pointless threads?
    I predict that they will make many more!
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Actually science is getting closer to actually proving some of these things exist. There's actual legitimate quantum level science saying that we do essentially have souls(just not "given by some god" but more a universal energy that goes back to the universe). Believing flat earth is more akin to doubting psychic power CAN exist. I don't believe that it exists to the level of the tarot readers etc, but there's enough to say that there might be some sort of truth to gut feelings and deja vu feelings. That goes back to another area of science they're currently looking into basically saying our relationship with time isn't quite what we think it is.
    Eeehhh... i'm gonna wait on official word on that. Sounds like mumbo jumbo to me. If it is proven, then we can talk. Things on the quantum level get funky, but the rules of the quantum level generally don't apply to our level. In the quantum level, the same particle can exist in 2 places at once. We see no evidence of that in our scale. We are more complex than a particle.

Even if we had such an energy, it still does not prove any sort of psychic powers and it would just be part of nature. I am skeptic about it though. Residual energy is certainly not compatible with the fantasy concept of a soul though, so it's even a strech to equate it to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I keep an open mind.
    A closed mind goes nowhere.
    No, you won't go far with an open gullable mind. You will get scammed that's what.

An open mind is an assertive mind that allows new hypothisis to be presented, but does not validate them without scientific proof. It does not simply stop at accepting the hypothisis.
    Everything is possible, but only what is proven is reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Eeehhh... i'm gonna wait on official word on that. Sounds like mumbo jumbo to me. If it is proven, then we can talk. Things on the quantum level get funky, but the rules of the quantum level generally don't apply to our level. In the quantum level, the same particle can exist in 2 places at once. We see no evidence of that in our scale. We are more complex than a particle.

Even if we had such an energy, it still does not prove any sort of psychic powers and it would just be part of nature. I am skeptic about it though. Residual energy is certainly not compatible with the fantasy concept of a soul though, so it's even a strech to equate it to that.

- - - Updated - - -

No, you won't go far with an open gullable mind. You will get scammed that's what.

An open mind is an assertive mind that allows new hypothisis to be presented, but does not validate them without scientific proof. It does not simply stop at accepting the hypothisis.
    Everything is possible, but only what is proven is reality.
    Basically it more leads into time also being relative etc and manipulation of time/space/whatever