Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    One layer can have as many people as vanilla servers had before. You will not be affected AT ALL. There still will be a lot of people around.

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    will have an impact on black lotus economy, probably huge impact depending on if there are 3,4,5 layers per realm
    How? Are you talking about the many nodes around Goldshire? The tech won't be used in higher level areas. Stop talking rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing will put a damper on the Classic hype more than having to see realm mergers on the docket after the first month.

Having to split two layers into two separate realms (with some player choice involved) will be a different kind of problem. But the tone would then be "omg, Classic is popular!".

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    How? Are you talking about the many nodes around Goldshire? The tech won't be used in higher level areas. Stop talking rubbish
    Again, would appreciate any evidence to support the argument of layering to not be in higher level areas as of today. I'd love if that were true, but I didn't see any argument from Blizzard to support the idea of them limiting layering to specific zones so far.

From my point of view it only makes sense to do so, since it's the first couple of zones (probably up until like level 30ish) that will be home to a lot of players initially. Anything above that would probably survive without layering anyways.
    Last edited by noragrets; 2019-05-21 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Nothing will put a damper on the Classic hype more than having to see realm mergers on the docket after the first month.

Having to split two layers into two separate realms (with some player choice involved) will be a different kind of problem. But the tone would then be "omg, Classic is popular!".
    And I'm sure some of the salty spitoons will try to throw a negative spin on it like "Stupid Blizzard not being prepared by giving us enough realms!"

You really underestimate what static respawns means. Let's say there are 500 mobs in deathknell with a ~5 min respawntimer. 3k servercap leads to 500 per starting zone (low estimate for deathknell bcs few people play tauren). 1 mob per 5min solo or 1 mob per min in a full party, which only slightly improves xp rates.

That is not a vanilla experience, vanilla wasn't like that, only private servers were like that.

So yes, layering is needed because without it, it would even be less like vanilla.

Especially since layering keeps people together for one session.

That's not true. Layering doesn't work by zone like sharding does. It basically creates an new instance of Kalimdor and EK once a threshold is hit

It looks something like this

Realm X
    - Kalimdor Layer 1
    - Kalimdor Layer 2

- Eastern Kingdoms Layer 1
    - Eastern Kingdoms Layer 2

So layering applies to every zone. Not just the starting areas.

Quote Originally Posted by noragrets View Post
    Again, would appreciate any evidence to support the argument of layering to not be in higher level areas as of today. I'd love if that were true, but I didn't see any argument from Blizzard to support the idea of them limiting layering to specific zones so far.

From my point of view it only makes sense to do so, since it's the first couple of zones (probably up until like level 30ish) that will be home to a lot of players initially. Anything above that would probably survive without layering anyways.
    It will stay for as long as they turn it off and it is not affected by your level or zone. The system will put you always in the same layer for the time it's active. Meaning the random gnome you meet level 1 will most likely be the same random gnome you will meet level 60. Only time a layer is changed is when someone get's invited to a party(and i think i heard when you change continent).

Layers are more like mini servers on a big server. It's actually better than 15 years ago. Where you had either a full server where you won't recognize anyone anyway or on empty servers where you won't meet anyone ever. Besides that it'll obviously improve server stability.

So please guys just stop crying - it's a great feature that will certainly be there at launch until the playerbase shrunk to a point where it is no longer needed.

Hahahahahahahahaha. Oh my God, this isn't serious... is it?

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    I'll take the lag even if it crawls up my ass thank you very much
    There wont be a lag. They will limit population on given server and you will be waiting in 8k+ queue. Not be able log in for days. If they would let eveyone in servers would just crash.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post

I rember how people like you were saying classic will never happen and how it is waste of resources. Well here we are playing beta test of classic. Literaly every single thing what anti classic crow said never happend and was never right.

Do you have confirmation for this? I haven't seen them talk about it being restricted to certain areas/levels, but it would make total sense for me. Otherwise people will abuse the shit out of this when farming nodes or even hunters farming rares with a long ass respawn timer etc.

So it seems people don't understand how layering is supposed to even work.
    They see a word and start yelling sharding.

When as explained.
    There's a realm. Let's say a realm has 5000 players on it at launch (not true, just an example).
    But the realm can on run with 1000 active players (again example numbers, which would essentially be the realms true size).
    But those 5000 players are on the same realm cause their names are there Player1-Magtheridon Player2-Magtheridon...Player5000-Magtheridon.
    Now cause the active size limit is 1000, players from 1-1000 will be on layer 1 of Magtheridon. 1001-2000 on Mag2 layer etc.
    This is permanent, you won't change layers. Unless you group up with a player from different layer on the same server, you CANNOT group crossrealm anyway, which is what sharding is.
    But as the players you see in the world without grouping are all on your layer, if you group with them as you would running around inviting people you see, you stay on the same layer still. ONLY if you group with players in your FRIENDSLIST, on the SAME server, BUT in a different assigned layer, then you'll be phased to their layer. And if Blizzard was really smart about it they would implement a system where already friendlisted players get assigned to the first to login player's layer. So Even then you wouldn't change layers when grouping. Only point then to "phase" to another layer of the same server would be to manually add a persons battletag to your friendlist after starting, requiring that player to be on the same server. Aka new battletag adds done after the game launches, they would be possibly layered or with luck already be on the same layer, depending on how many layers a realm needs, which is based on realm popularity.
    You have to befriend 'not in the game world', but manually invite person this or that to your friends list that you know plays on the same realm, whom you have not met in-game.

The life span as even said in the interview of Ion is intended for the first few weeks. How is that several months?
    Earlier when they we're designing a way to avoid the overcrowd without layering implemented they were using the term that it would only apply to starting areas and so. At least that was the original goal they had. Which would mean the most crowded areas at launch. Up to level 20 or 30 to me. After you reach a level where enough of people have quit the game or players have out leveled the massive spike, layering won't be in effect. Again if 5000 are at launch and 4000 quit before reaching level 30, the realm is at is with the remaining players, you see some new faces that haven't been before, but who is going to even meet 999 other players on the same layer in the first 20 levels, no one. You have no way to know everyone on the realm until later on, when the layering is disable and the real population is on the average level. So you don't know if the faces are new players, new layer people from before or who. AGAIN can't stress it enough 5000 IS NOT A REAL NUMBER all i know the realm size could be 10k. Just a figure to throw out for example. Same for 4000 quitting, it can be 1 or none, but i doubt all 5000 will reach level 60 in classic, no way.

When people are saying they want to retain the community.
    Layering is that, it's one realm, no crossrealm, no phasing in to a zone with other realms players.
    If a vanilla realm size is what? 3000 players and the layering is to be in place for the first few weeks.
    Are you really arguing you will know every 2999 other players on your realm in the first month? Or in the first 6 months? And the friends list max size is what 250?
    There will be people running 6 years later who've you've never meat and run in to first time, who started at the same hour on another race.
    Part of the same community. Not everyone even in vanilla spent their day in yelling in trade chat so that everyone on their realm knew who they were. Yes there will be those people, a lot, people will have reputations, but they grown over time when you meet them. Nobody is going to meet 1000 people on the first day and know them by name, unless you're Sodapoppin or something, who draws all sorts attaching to him like a moth to a flame. So in the end, the people layered to a different layer who've you haven't seen in the first 2 months, for a singular player there's no way to tell whether they were on the different layer than you. They could have been elsewhere in the massive game world for the all that time, never colliding paths. And even if you'd technically would collide paths but were on a different layer, you wouldn't even know this, unless you're literally physically sitting in discord telling each other your exact location constantly.

If the layer size is 3000 and true realm size with multiple layers is 9000, all those people will never be in the same zone even. There's multiple races to start as, all over the world. Even the 1 layer of 3000 players will never be in the same zone, cause that alone would crash the server. I think the vanilla client crashed at 200 players in a same area, not sure but must have been something like that, cause the current client is newer and servers are newer tech is newer and even that can't handle those numbers. Current client can barely work with 4x40 man raids in one location of a subzone.
    Last edited by Redecle; 2019-05-22 at 11:47 PM.

I'm absolutely fine with it because I understand what the alternatives truly come down to.

Its not vanilla if its not unplayable reee

15+ Year Old Account
    Handling the predictable quick 90-95% drop of population is literally impossible without downsides. Deal with it and move on.

I really can't understand the hate a couple of weeks layering is getting. The alternative is a shitshow start with DC's and hours of queues. I vote for layering.

This project will be here for years. Don't act like a couple of weeks of layering will ruin the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    I dont think we will see layering in the max level zones.
    Blackrock Mountain will be fun without layering. Then again, that's how it was...

10+ Year Old Account
    They've changed their plans from sharding the starting zones to sharding entire servers, multiple instances of each continent lasting the entirety of phase 1

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I see them doing it for 2-3 weeks. Most people will be done in that time and it'll be fine. Maybe a month tops.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    They've changed their plans from sharding the starting zones to sharding entire servers, multiple instances of each continent lasting the entirety of phase 1
    It doesnt matter 1 layer = 3k players which was population cap in vannilla. They do this to no have 12k+ people on 1 realm. Even when you will play on 1 layer it will be still big as original vannila realm.