Thread: Chernobyl

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I added on a bit after I posted. Yes, radiation CAN have an adverse effect on machinery and electronics, but its usually a case of exposure of time, not like some kind of magic field that just makes it instantly fail.

If you parked a newer car inside the reactor containment shell (sarcophagus I believe its called), and left it there for a few years, the car probably wouldn't start... However I have no expert knowledge on how long it takes for ionized radiation to break down things like wiring components.
    pretty fast if you go in deep enough, they have send special drones into highly radiated areas and you can see on the footage how quickly the video quality deteriorates. shortly after losing a feed the drone itself fails too.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    So you watched it? Can pick apart the scenes that were "wrong". We're all ears.
    Huh?

I've posted a few times in this thread - if you read them, you'd know that isn't what I'm out to do or care to do?

I'm not sure what your point is.

Hell, I'm agreeing with you - and con't to agree with you. Please direct the hostility towards someone not agreeing with you?
    Last edited by Koriani; 2019-05-21 at 05:13 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    The miners from episode three are easily my favorite part of the show at the moment.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Many years ago I worked in a factory that had an arc furnace. It's basically melting metal. It has refractory bricks to insulate and then water pipes behind it to cool.

One day a refractory brick failed and the molten shit instantly melted the water pipe. The water in the pipes instantly vaporised (expanded ie explosion) which basically sharted all the molten stuff straight through the roof etc of the factory. I was about half a kilometer away and it was absolutely terrifying. It's noise like I've never heard and the ground shook so hard I can imagine people closer would have been knocked over. (Noone was hurt somehow)

I'd imagine a nuclear reactor was orders of magnitude bigger than this so if a big core of several thousand degrees Celsius hit water the effect will be....dramatic.
    I was not prepared for the use of the word "sharted" in this context, and I lol'd.

Y'all should check out the Elephant's Foot in Chernobyl, if y'all are unfamiliar. That shit is intense.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffernut View Post
    the miners from episode three are easily my favorite part of the show at the moment.
    now you look like minister of coal

Quote Originally Posted by zorrka View Post
    It's not word-by-word accurate, but most stuff shown so far really took place.
    Some of it was changed just a bit for dramatic purposes, e.g. IRL it was prof. Legasov who drove the dosimeter fitted truck to the plant, not the military guy. The helicopter crashed some few months after the accident - not because the pilot flew too close but because he took too many flies that day. There was no Belorussian lady who opposed Legasov, but rather a whole team of scientists who disputed his decisions constantly. I guess they merged them into a single person to simplify the narrative.
    The most horrid stuff, such as scuba guys draining the water to prevent global nuclear disaster, unequiped firefighters who did not even know what was the fire they were dealing with, "temporary evacuation" - all really took place.
    The producers of the show have openly explained that the lady is an stand in for the team's of scientists as they couldn't have that many characters and she encompasses them all.
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post

Is the recent HBO show Chernobyl accurate? How much of it is fiction? I was thinking it was a documentary but some of it sounds exaggerated to make the story more interesting.

Did people receive so much radiation that they bled through their skin? Was it ever possible for the damaged reactor to explode like a nuclear bomb? Is it possible to knock a helicopter out of the air with radiation alone? At one point the scientist says that if nothing is done, Urkraine and Belarus could be made inhabitable for hundreds of years. True?
    i have bolded the questions and ill answer them in order, first id like to say as some one who suffered birth defects due to the fallout from Chernobyl i have resurrected everything i can and learnt more than any one not in the nuclear industry on how that specific reactor worked and why the accident happened, i was also lucky to visit the site twice before it was enclosed in the new containment unit, once taking a tour of the control room for reactor 4.

1. yes but its not immediate, only 1 person died immediately ( Valery Khodemchuk, building collapsed on him) in the explosion, death by radiation is a slow and agonizing death over a number of days depending on dose one of the symptoms is a break down of the skin known as radiation burns.

2. the explosion wasn't a nuclear explosion, it was a an explosion from the pressure build up in the reactor that was release when it raised to the level it could blow off the reactor lid, like shooting a bullet from a gun, the radiation was then jettisoned into the atmosphere from the reactor and by the debris spread.

3. yes but no helicopters were knocked out directly by radiation, one at least went down due to the pilots suffering radiation sickness and hitting cables

radiation attack electronics by cutting tracks into the silicon inside chips and leaving charged particles inside the chip, these build up and can create bridges between circuit causing causing short circuit's but this takes time.

4. yes and likely more every day the reactor was open it was jettisoning radioactive particles into the atmosphere creating fallout that was landing as far away as Britain, further more the radioactive material was slowly melting down below the reactor towards the water tanks which if it reached it with water in would have triggered a 2nd (technically 3rd) explosion, teams on miners were brought in to tunnel under the reactor and drain the tank before it reached it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    i have bolded the questions and ill answer them in order, first id like to say as some one who suffered birth defects due to the fallout from Chernobyl i have resurrected everything i can and learnt more than any one not in the nuclear industry on how that specific reactor worked and why the accident happened, i was also lucky to visit the site twice before it was enclosed in the new containment unit, once taking a tour of the control room for reactor 4.

1. yes but its not immediate, only 1 person died immediately ( Valery Khodemchuk, building collapsed on him) in the explosion, death by radiation is a slow and agonizing death over a number of days depending on dose one of the symptoms is a break down of the skin known as radiation burns.

2. the explosion wasn't a nuclear explosion, it was a an explosion from the pressure build up in the reactor that was release when it raised to the level it could blow off the reactor lid, like shooting a bullet from a gun, the radiation was then jettisoned into the atmosphere from the reactor and by the debris spread.

3. yes but no helicopters were knocked out directly by radiation, one at least went down due to the pilots suffering radiation sickness and hitting cables

radiation attack electronics by cutting tracks into the silicon inside chips and leaving charged particles inside the chip, these build up and can create bridges between circuit causing causing short circuit's but this takes time.

4. yes and likely more every day the reactor was open it was jettisoning radioactive particles into the atmosphere creating fallout that was landing as far away as Britain, further more the radioactive material was slowly melting down below the reactor towards the water tanks which if it reached it with water in would have triggered a 2nd (technically 3rd) explosion, teams on miners were brought in to tunnel under the reactor and drain the tank before it reached it.
    Its crazy how faithful there were to images of the incident. They might have let the viewer imply that the helicopter went down because it went over the core but otherwise did a good job of recreating whats in the Youtube clip.

The biggest thing I'm getting from the show is how the Soviets operated. How structures of power can operate when there's not much transparency. Makes you wonder how they would've tried to cover up the accident had radiation not have been detected by the outside world.

How the KGB is everywhere, stranger than fiction.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Its crazy how faithful there were to images of the incident. They might have let the viewer imply that the helicopter went down because it went over the core but otherwise did a good job of recreating whats in the Youtube clip.

The biggest thing I'm getting from the show is how the Soviets operated. How structures of power can operate when there's not much transparency. Makes you wonder how they would've tried to cover up the accident had radiation not have been detected by the outside world.

How the KGB is everywhere, stranger than fiction.
    same way they covered up the Kyshtym Disaster which was a INES level 6 disaster, (Chernobyl and Fukushima being a level 7 and three mile island being a level 5 for comparison)

it took 18 years for details of what happened to come to light and only then because of a whistle blower. that disaster effected 22 villages and 10,000 people in the USSR.