Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

New SUV recommendations?

So its time to finally get rid of my Ford Escape and buy a new car. I came into some money recently and can afford to buy a new car instead of all the used cars I've bought in the past. I want to get another SUV but I really don't know what to get so I'm looking for recommendations & reviews of SUVs. First off it has to 100% have a center console armrest (my dog rides there when we go on rides places). Other thing is it has to be a 4 door SUV. I don't care about 3rd row seating since at the most I only have 4 people in my car at a time. Usually its just me, my boyfriend, and our 2 small dogs. I'm looking for a small or mid-sized SUV not a full size one. I'm not interested in a Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Lincoln, Expedition/Excursion, Suburban, Hummer, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia, Scion, or Durango. I've looked at the Explorer, Escape, BMW X1/X3, Mercedes-Benz GLA/GLC/GLE/GLS, Jeeps, and AUDI Q5/SQ5/Q7 online and thought they looked nice. I just don't know what to get. Anyone have any experience with an SUV they really enjoyed?
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2019-05-22 at 06:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    So its time to finally get rid of my Ford Escape and buy a new car. I came into some money recently and can afford to buy a new car instead of all the used cars I've bought in the past. I want to get another SUV but I really don't know what to get so I'm looking for recommendations & reviews of SUVs. First off it has to 100% have a center console armrest (my dog rides there when we go on rides places). I'm looking for a small or mid-sized SUV not a full size one. I'm not interested in a Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Lincoln, Expedition/Excursion, Suburban, Hummer, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia, Scion, or Durango. I've looked at the Explorer, Escape, BMW X1/X3, Mercedes-Benz GLA/GLC/GLE/GLS, and AUDI Q5/SQ5/Q7 online and thought they looked nice. I just don't know what to get. Anyone have any experience with an SUV they really enjoyed?
    The last SUV I really enjoyed was my 1977 Ramcharger, though my 2008 Suburban isnt bad, just overly car like.

15+ Year Old Account
    why no durango? I have a 2018 r/t and i love it...its white with the blacktop package

A Pajero

Show people you want to play with them, or else you will play with yourself

Jeep Grand Cherokee are nice vehicles.

Last edited by dubious_doomhammer; 2019-05-22 at 06:07 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Subaru these days comes only with CVT transmission, which is known to last only few years, though sometimes people get lucky and that junk lasts a bit longer.

Hyundai/Kia have such tiny windows, I wouldn't even consider them. Visibility is shit. Their build quality though is supposedly quite good.
    That's part of the reason I listed them in the "do not want" section. I'm bot a fan of the Hyundai/Kia because they are cheaper made vehicles that don't hold up over time. I put 20-30k miles on my car each year between commuting to school, visiting my family, visiting my in-laws, and pleasure trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    A Cherokee
    Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    Jeep Grand Cherokee are nice vehicles.
    I've looked at the Jeep line and thought they were nice looking ones. I forgot to mention them in my post. How well do they hold up and such?

10+ Year Old Account
    More modern SUVs look like crap now.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Suzuki Vitara is the best selling SUV in eu, its cheap, looks nice but not the most comfortable.

Mini Countryman is well made, fuel efficient but has a higher price tag.

Jeep Renegade, smaller than the other jeeps, cheaper, its a reskinned fiat 500x with a jeep pricetag.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    why no durango? I have a 2018 r/t and i love it...its white with the blacktop package
    I had a friend who had one and I wasn't the fan of his. I just looked at the Dodge site and the R/T only gets 14 MPG so that's a big no. The Journey maybe.

You said no hyundai but my GF loves hers enough that shes trading in her 2013 which she purchased new for a new 2019. Im a truck guy myself buts its a decent drive and decent on fuel. We've had zero problems with it

Personally I have a old K5 blazer and a 17 2 Door wrangler, but I test drove the Escape for a retired co-worker (she had a leg removed and it was not setup for Hands driving yet) and I really liked it, I also think the 4 Door wrangler is kinda nice friend has one of those if you need the room but like the older jeep look (love my 2 door but not a lot of extra room for stuff and people at the same time) there are report of reliability but he nor I have had any issues (his is a 2011) I think part of that stigma is people are harder on them and mod them more. Also used to own a 2011 Mitsubishi outlander, it kinda felt on the cheaper side of the "soccer mom type SUV's" but I really liked it, plenty of room and the AWD you could switch on and off was nice for MPG's over some other full time AWD systems (Friend had a Mazda version and hated you could not switch it off and they complained about the MPG)

10+ Year Old Account
    Ford Edge /10char

So its time to finally get rid of my Ford Escape and buy a new car. I came into some money recently and can afford to buy a new car instead of all the used cars I've bought in the past. I want to get another SUV but I really don't know what to get so I'm looking for recommendations & reviews of SUVs. First off it has to 100% have a center console armrest (my dog rides there when we go on rides places). Other thing is it has to be a 4 door SUV. I don't care about 3rd row seating since at the most I only have 4 people in my car at a time. Usually its just me, my boyfriend, and our 2 small dogs. I'm looking for a small or mid-sized SUV not a full size one. I'm not interested in a Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Lincoln, Expedition/Excursion, Suburban, Hummer, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia, Scion, or Durango. I've looked at the Explorer, Escape, BMW X1/X3, Mercedes-Benz GLA/GLC/GLE/GLS, Jeeps, and AUDI Q5/SQ5/Q7 online and thought they looked nice. I just don't know what to get. Anyone have any experience with an SUV they really enjoyed?
    Congrats on having a ford escape that is still running. My co-worker had issues with his and it made me worried back in 2010 when I had a 2008. My 2008 escape, I loved it up until 3 months after the warranty expired, at 60k miles the transmission went out. I will never buy another Ford.

Jeeps are some of the worst vehicles in terms of durability there are.

Toyota makes amazing trucks and SUVs since they are out of contention, I'd go Ford again. But if you really want to spend a lot, then go BMW. They are some of the best all around vehicles on the planet.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Beware of Jeep Grand Cherokee's. They don't have a great history of passing the moose test (Steering/Body Roll test)

For the money, my vote goes to the Subaru Forester. Does well in safety tests, and is a nice looking SUV.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

15+ Year Old Account
    I had a friend who had one and I wasn't the fan of his. I just looked at the Dodge site and the R/T only gets 14 MPG so that's a big no. The Journey maybe.
    i get decent mileage, i feel like i get more than 14 mpg but i tend to take it easy when i drive, i dont really put the pedal to the metal

No offense but "I came into some money" "I want to buy a new car" *lists several luxury vehicles* RED ALERT RED ALERT you are someone who is bad with money.

If you have a car that currently costs more to maintain than to replace than get something with decent fuel mileage under 25k and call it a day.

Edit:
    I don't care about 3rd row seating since at the most I only have 4 people in my car at a time. Usually its just me, my boyfriend, and our 2 small dogs.
    You don't need an SUV then.

Jeep Grand Cherokee's aren't bad at all. Mine is an old one that has a console armrest so nobody can really sit there. I don't know about current generations' config. I've got 379k miles on this Jeep GC. Only issue I've had with it is I had to replace my brake calipers a couple times. Actually decent gas mileage in city driving and the wife loves it because it's super roomy in the back for stowing stuff.

If I had my own personal preference, I'd get a GMC Sierra. I'm partial because my Opa worked for GM for almost 55 years before he retired.

edit: I forgot to grammar today

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    No offense but "I came into some money" "I want to buy a new car" *lists several luxury vehicles* RED ALERT RED ALERT you are someone who is bad with money.

If you have a car that currently costs more to maintain than to replace than get something with decent fuel mileage under 25k and call it a day.

Edit:

You don't need an SUV then.
    The reason I need an SUV is because generally speaking cars are difficult for me to get in and out of because of medical issues. The settlement I received is a sizable one that is broken up into 2 payments. The first will be enough to buy a new car in full (something I need because my current car has 170K miles on it and has some mechanical issues) and the second payment will be enough to purchase a home here in California & pay it off immediately with enough left over for a vacation and to pay for our wedding and enough left over for savings. I'm not mindlessly spending money or being frivolous in my spending. I want a car that will last yet is comfortable to drive & ride in. The majority of the SUVs I've looked at are under $35k. The other reason I need an SUV is so I can haul stuff as needed without having to own a truck. My Escape is big enough that my computer desk fit in it while being put together along with being able to haul tons of other things for myself and my grandma when she's needed things hauled to her house.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention if I needed something with a third row, I would get a minivan instead of an SUV. Third row seating does not equate into the need for an SUV.