Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

I'm just gonna say it; Blizzard is being stupid by NOT implementing a Housing system

Not just "I want Housing", or "I think it would be a good idea..."

No.

I think Blizzard is being STUPID.

Everyone wants to point to Warlords of Draenor, like it was some sort of "real attempt" at a housing system. It wasn't; it was half-assed, and anyone who has even TOUCHED another MMO could look at Garrisons and see, there was zero passion behind it. Nothing about it was fun or interesting, it didn't offer any ACTUAL personal customization. Everyone's Garrisons were identical.

I think a real, legit Housing system -- especially something that allows you to see other players' houses easily (like FFXIV's system, albeit fairly restrictive) -- would not only satisfying a real, long-standing demand players have had, but would actually attract players *back* to WoW.

Hell, you could even springboard an entire profession off of it, like Carpentry (hell, even introduce Lumberjack/Woodcutting as a new gathering skill), focused exclusively towards building tons of house-items. And of course, you could have various bosses throughout the entire game drop new items, trophies, even leverage something like Archaeology for additional stuff.

Personally? I would give each player a single "island" to build their house and decorate to their hearts content, and have a limited number of "premium" houses throughout the game, which would be unique to that server. So maybe, while everyone has access to a house of SOME kind, the coolest houses would be ones based in specific locations, like Hrothgar's Landing (just north of the Argent Tournament in Icecrown), or maybe one of those previously-inaccessible houses places somewhere in the mountains of the world.

But even if it's just totally instanced-off "islands", I still think there would be a huge draw. Just let players visit the "islands" of other players, either in their guild, friends list, or even a "visit random house".

I dunno. I just really think Blizzard is fucking up by NOT adding a proper, fully-fledged housing system. It might not be EVERYONE'S cup of tea, but I think the MMO industry has proven that Housing, as a feature, is here to stay and not a fluke. It would just give players an additional layer of "things they can do" when they log in.

Just... don't add any GAMEPLAY-affecting reasons to have a House. No "buffs", no "free/extra resources", just an ENTIRELY OPTIONAL thing. Because nothing makes things less fun that feeling *obligated* to do them.

The list of things they were stupid not to implement is huge.

Class balance, for example. (And no, that's not a pose.)

Or solo queues.

Yes, housing as well.

Be the man to figure out how that thing would work technically and architecturally(IT) so that it wouldn't suck(aka. lag) and they'd probably all @#$% your @#$% for it at big companies.

So far, AFAIK, none of the current systems are enticing where-ever they were implemented, and almost always poorly + the lag.

My personal opinion about the subject matter is that it's still not a viable strategy to chase. It's boring the way it can be done and it's impossible for it to work smoothly the way we want it to be done, yet.

I could be wrong, would love to be proven wrong. But right now, only time will tell.

TL : DR. Nah, housing is still a nah!

Quote Originally Posted by Huzzaa View Post
    Be the man to figure out how that thing would work technically and architecturally(IT) so that it wouldn't suck(aka. lag) and they'd probably all @#$% your @#$% for it at big companies.

So far, AFAIK, none of the current systems are enticing where-ever they were implemented, and almost always poorly + the lag.

My personal opinion about the subject matter is that it's still not a viable strategy to chase. It's boring the way it can be done and it's impossible for it to work smoothly the way we want it to be done, yet.

I could be wrong, would love to be proven wrong. But right now, only time will tell.

TL : DR. Nah, housing is still a nah!
    WildStar had an incredible housing system. It was just all instanced. Blizzard could easily do it. They just don't want to yet. I'm sure they will in an expansion or two. Gotta pad for subs.

10+ Year Old Account
    imo Ultima Online is the only MMO to get housing right.

I agree.....Blizzard has been all about designing ways to keep you subbed......housing could easily do it, by having furniture and trophies, and knick-knacks drop throughout the game....WQ's, dungeons, raids, PvP....having a few unique ones available through professions, and then having simple or ordinary ones available through a vendor on a separate/new currency, would make a huge time sink for players all the while keeping them subbed. Then in future patches/expansions Blizzard could create themed furniture, and designs....like Tinker/steampunk theme.....Arcane/magic theme, etc........would bring me back to the game.

I prefer they don't waste resources on a useless system like housing.

Yeah, blizz needs more customization and sandbox content. They also need more content that isn't just combat-oriented. Fucking warframe has housing in your ship, WoW is desperately behind the times and this would be a bigger and more popular system than transmog.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    As opposed to what...yet another raid? I would sacrifice raids for an entire expansion if it meant adding systems like housing and making other systems like Warfronts / Islands good. WoW **desperately** needs meaningful content outside of dungeons/raids. And no, just because that is what has always been the core content does not mean it should remain that way.

I totally and completely agree OP. It’s bizarre to me that this sort of thing has not been implemented. Blizzard is always looking for ways to keep people playing the game, especially in content droughts and housing is one way to do that. The housing system in FFXIV is done very well and kept me energized a long time trying to get a house and decorate it. WoW should really have something like that at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    The list of things they were stupid not to implement is huge.

Class balance, for example. (And no, that's not a pose.)

Or solo queues.

Yes, housing as well.
    Classes cannot be balanced without them all being exactly the same.

Yay, more development time spent on pointless cosmetic stuff that gets even more pointless and boring after 1 week. Who cares about actual gameplay if you can have a nice garrison 2.0 whateverness.

Make the game be worth playing instead of literally wasting time and money on bullshit instanced decoration crap.

this was what the entire advertised feature of WoD, the garrisons, was supposed to be.

don't expect more then that from blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Yeah, blizz needs more customization and sandbox content. They also need more content that isn't just combat-oriented. Fucking warframe has housing in your ship, WoW is desperately behind the times and this would be a bigger and more popular system than transmog.

- - - Updated - - -

As opposed to what...yet another raid? I would sacrifice raids for an entire expansion if it meant adding systems like housing and making other systems like Warfronts / Islands good. WoW **desperately** needs meaningful content outside of dungeons/raids. And no, just because that is what has always been the core content does not mean it should remain that way.
    Yeah, more raids are better since it's engaging content. Housing have never interested me. I don't get the appeal to decorate my own space in games.

Not sure how housing would be "meaningful" content. It's fluff and cosmetics. If you enjoy it, great.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Classes cannot be balanced without them all being exactly the same.
    you're wrong, classes only need to be balanced on a few fronts to maintain competitive and competent metas.

but again, blizzard either can't do math or won't do this for personal reasons and motivations.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't consider housing to be meaningful, unless you're a roleplayer. Though it would be nice but it'll be hard to implement correctly.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    you're wrong, classes only need to be balanced on a few fronts to maintain competitive and competent metas.

but again, blizzard either can't do math or won't do this for personal reasons and motivations.
    The real issue is going into an expansion with broken classes due to carelessness and not listening to feedback in a beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    So you think transmog and mounts are useless too? Because they're pretty much the same thing as a potential cosmetic-based housing system would be.

Housing would be great.

It could have a ton of really unique cosmetic rewards, new professions tied to the system, new crafts for old professions, etc. Not only that, it could also make other rewards more meaningful. For example, imagine you get your own base and you can put a stable in it - then you can select a couple of your mounts and have them parked there, so that whenever someone comes visit your base, they see what cool mounts you have collected.

You could have flags and banners from raids and dungeons that you could put on the walls to show everyone that you cleared that content. More ways to show off your achievements for top players. For RP crowd, housing could potentially become a massive source of actual RP gameplay. If Blizzard wanted to, they could add some mini-games for players, so that they could just visit each other and have a nice, social experience together. Heck, if a single house could accomodate a lot of players, streamers would definetely love to invite their viewers to hang out and do some mount/transmog competitions and other fun stuff.

Obviously, some people like you will not care about it, but I can bet that the vast majority of the playerbase would absolutely love a proper housing system. The potential is definetely there, the only question is - is it worth it the amount of work it would require to flesh out the system?

People call player housing fluff and pointless, but transmogging is exactly the same and I would venture to say that hunting for mogs is probably one of the most popular activities in game. Also if they take a page out of other MMOs books and use crafting to support the housing system then it would kill two birds with one stone by revitalizing what is currently a completely pointless profession system.

I've played this game since day one, with occasional sub gaps when there's nothing to do. I could give a shit about going around the gear treadmill for the tenth time, just to throw it all away and do it again in a year. Permanent collections and character features are what I'm here for, and a good player housing system would keep me subbed to WoW until the servers grind to a halt.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

Nope, I'd say Blizzard is smart for not falling for Housing system.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Nope, I'd say Blizzard is smart for not falling for Housing system.
    I share the same opnion.
    Player Housing is boring if not something revolutionary in the system is implemented.