Thread: GOG Galaxy 2.0

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.

GOG Galaxy 2.0

https://www.gogalaxy.com/en/

One library
    Import all your games from PC and consoles, build and organize them into one master collection.

Game stats
    Keep track of all your achievements, hours played and games owned, combined across platforms.

Game launcher
    Install and launch any PC game you own, no matter the platform.

Full customization
    Create custom library views by filtering, sorting, tagging and adding your own visuals like game backgrounds and covers.

Games discoverySOON
    Follow upcoming releases, and discover games popular among your friends and the gaming community.

No spying
    We’re not spying on data from your computer.

No data sharing
    We’ll never share your personal data with third parties.

Your data belongs to you
    With a single click, you can remove your imported data from our servers.

Community platform integrations
    Connect more platforms and add new features with open-source integrations.

Sync between devices
    All customizations and changes to your library are saved in the cloud and synced between all your devices.

Save custom views
    Save any view like a customized library or favorite games and friends to access them instantly.
    So GOG’s new launcher aims to be the solution to the dozens of launchers we now have. Keeping your friendslist and activity in one place. I hope it’s successful, GOG is my preferred platform on PC thanks to their DRM free policy and dedication to making sure the games you buy from them actually work. If I can launch my steam games on their platform and talk to my steam friends then this’ll be great.

Unsurprisingly you still have to install the other launchers, but once installed you don’t need to touch them to launch games. As far as I understand.

Sure there are other bits of software that do most of this stuff already, but I think this is the first time we’ve seen a store offer this functionality.

What do you guys think of this?

Edit: According to a tweet they intend to include all platforms. Including battle.net. So presumably you can talk to your battle.net friends while playing a game on GOG. Same for discord. This sounds great.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2019-05-22 at 05:35 PM.

Steam is enough for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically Discord minus some of the data use, which comes with an asterisk anyway. Anything that curates lists for you is 'spying' on you according to someone's opinion.

Its cool, better than Steam IMO, if and only if Steam/Battle.net/whatever doesn't launch as well when I want to play a game. Otherwise, I have no use for it as a 'main' launcher.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Looks interesting. I might give it a go, we'll see. The main issue is I don't have a lot of GOG games.

I'll give it a shot when it's released. I don't know how they are going to pull Uplay achievement data; they don't have a API or a website with the data to scrape. I don't think the cross-platform chat is anything special. People will be able to chat through the Galaxy client, probably an overlay, while playing on different platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    https://www.gogalaxy.com/en/

So GOG’s new launcher aims to be the solution to the dozens of launchers we now have. Keeping your friendslist and activity in one place. I hope it’s successful, GOG is my preferred platform on PC thanks to their DRM free policy and dedication to making sure the games you buy from them actually work. If I can launch my steam games on their platform and talk to my steam friends then this’ll be great.

Unsurprisingly you still have to install the other launchers, but once installed you don’t need to touch them to launch games. As far as I understand.

Sure there are other bits of software that do most of this stuff already, but I think this is the first time we’ve seen a store offer this functionality.

What do you guys think of this?

Edit: According to a tweet they intend to include all platforms. Including battle.net. So presumably you can talk to your battle.net friends while playing a game on GOG. Same for discord. This sounds great.
    Relevant XKCD comic: https://xkcd.com/927/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudenoso View Post
    Relevant XKCD comic: https://xkcd.com/927/
    Not really since GOG already exists and has done for some time. They’re just improving the features of their launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Not really since GOG already exists and has done for some time. They’re just improving the features of their launcher.
    You truly care about nitpicking, don't you? The overall idea is about there being too many options, someone wanting to develop the ultimate option and it just being another option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudenoso View Post
    You truly care about nitpicking, don't you? The overall idea is about there being too many options, someone wanting to develop the ultimate option and it just being another option.
    But it was already an option. And unlike most others it was actually an option. You can still buy and play GOG games without needing to download the launcher.