+ 6

I've heard good things about FF14. I've never played it. I'm just farming mounts as busy work, honestly. That, and every Saturday I play with my sister and her husband for a few hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    + 10

My high school years playing vanilla and BC were amazing, but the game is repetitive and no longer enjoyable
    They also ruined hunters once more

10+ Year Old Account
    +9

All this talk of WoW and I can't find the motivation to play anything. Started a new nuzlocke instead.

+ 7

I mean... you do realize that all MMOs are repetitive, right?

+ 8

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    I mean... you do realize that all MMOs are repetitive, right?
    WoW wasn't as repetitive as it has been for the last five years. It used to be that'd you'd progress through dungeon or raid content, and then once you beat the tier, you would move on to the next tier. You were always encountering new content. Now, you as a player, have no reason to stand around and waste your time progressing through Molten Core as a fresh 60. The fun is all at 120, so you continue on level grinding. The system is that you skip the bulk of an expansion's content to just get your wellfare epics from the questchain of the latest patch and then queue for the latest raid's LFR, and then play that same raid over and over again to death as you climb the difficulties of that raid. It's a repetitive and monotonous endgame that burns out the player very quickly.

GW2 and FFXIV aren't perfect games, but the bulk of their fun isn't concentrated at the latest raid tier. GW2 has no gear treadmill; instead it's about collecting achievements and playing through the sheer amount of content there is: 50 maps for map completion, specific achievements, and the story episodes. FFXIV is story focused, with the bulk of the fun being available right from the get go as you start the main storyline, as well gain access to more and more fun questchains to play through.

10+ Year Old Account
    + 9

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    + 8

WoW wasn't as repetitive as it has been for the last five years. It used to be that'd you'd progress through dungeon or raid content, and then once you beat the tier, you would move on to the next tier. You were always encountering new content. Now, you as a player, have no reason to stand around and waste your time progressing through Molten Core as a fresh 60. The fun is all at 120, so you continue on level grinding. The system is that you skip the bulk of an expansion's content to just get your wellfare epics from the questchain of the latest patch and then queue for the latest raid's LFR, and then play that same raid over and over again to death as you climb the difficulties of that raid. It's a repetitive and monotonous endgame that burns out the player very quickly.
    This is spot on, and it repeats every single expansion.

+ 7

WoW wasn't as repetitive as it has been for the last five years.
    I'd like to reiterate that I played the middle of Vanilla through the end of Cataclysm, and then started back up at the beginning of BfA... perhaps something drastic changed in the time I was gone, but I would be surprised if it has.

It used to be that'd you'd progress through dungeon or raid content, and then once you beat the tier, you would move on to the next tier. You were always encountering new content.
    When I was accepted into the number two guild on my server in The Burning Crusade, I went from my current gear (Kara) to Black Temple/Sunwell. You can certainly argue that, for most people, they follow the "proper" sequence of events, but that's not the case for everyone, and it certainly wasn't for me. This was especially true when you had to attune people to be able to run the damn raids in the first place. Always encountering new content? I'm kinda confused about this - can you clarify? Because there were certainly long periods of time where there was no new content and you simply had a raid on farm. I don't see how this has changed, at all.

Now, you as a player, have no reason to stand around and waste your time progressing through Molten Core as a fresh 60.
    "Waste" in what respect? If you have fun doing it, who cares? The only thing "stopping" you from running Molten Core at 60 is a lack of other interested parties at the same level, but I'm willing to bet that you can find some overgeared people to do so. Doing a "lower" raid while timeswalking is active is another option. Since the advent of transmog (as well as mount farming in general) I've experienced more lower, "waste of time" things than ever.

The fun is all at 120, so you continue on level grinding.
    That's awfully subjective. Probably true for the majority of players, but again, certainly not true for everyone. The group of people that I run with every Saturday are certainly the opposite of this; we're currently level 117 and we're already talking about what character we're going to make next. The experience of playing and leveling through the lower level content is what we're here for, not for the 120 grind.

The system is that you skip the bulk of an expansion's content
    Like every expansion. I remember numerous complaints about the time spent in Cataclysm's lower stuff, among many other examples.

to just get your wellfare epics from the questchain of the latest patch
    Honestly, who cares? What's the difference between this and doing a dungeon and getting gear? A raid? Battlegrounds? I assume the "welfare" part is supposed to make me sound... well, let's not go there. I've been gone for years and came back in BfA and my old guild is completely dead and I don't know anyone on my server anymore - I don't particularly care where the source of my gear is from. My desire to flex my super amazing gear that came from the hardest of the hard bosses died many, many years ago.

and then queue for the latest raid's LFR, and then play that same raid over and over again to death as you climb the difficulties of that raid. It's a repetitive and monotonous endgame that burns out the player very quickly.
    I have literally never queued for LFR. Ever. My only desire to right now is the chance at G.M.O.D..

but the bulk of their fun isn't concentrated at the latest raid tier.
    I can't speak for anyone but myself, but... 95% of my fun, I'd wager, is coming from sources that isn't gearing up. I've got years of "old" content to explore for the first time (hell, I've never rolled Alliance, for that matter)... I've got tons of mounts to collect... I just started pet battles for the first time this week... I've only got 14,XXX achievement points... I've not done Hivemind yet... there's a lot to look at, I don't see why no one cares to look past the last boss that has been created.

instead [GW2 is] about collecting achievements and playing through the sheer amount of content there is: 50 maps for map completion, specific achievements, and the story episodes.
    That sounds exactly what I'm playing, minus the story. WoW's story has never been remotely interesting in my book.

FFXIV is story focused, with the bulk of the fun being available right from the get go as you start the main storyline, as well gain access to more and more fun questchains to play through.
    FF14 does sound intriguing, but I'm not up for another MMO in my life; WoW and my massive backlog of Steam games has too much of my time as it is, let alone anime and real life.

Quote Originally Posted by pOO flinger View Post
    This is spot on, and it repeats every single expansion.
    So it's exactly the same as it's ever been?

+ 9

*Grabs popcorn before munching it to sleep*
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

Quote Originally Posted by pOO flinger View Post
    My high school years playing vanilla and BC were amazing, but the game is repetitive and no longer enjoyable
    They also ruined hunters once more
    I actually really liked my Hunter in 8.0.

Also wanted to try out FF14, but I'm done with subscription based games, or maybe even MMO's in general. There just isn't enough time in a day to do everything I want. Might try Lost Ark when it releases outside Korea.

+ 11

At some point you're done with collecting gear sets and farming mounts. If you don't do raids or PvP, there's actually not much to do anymore in WoW after you've completed all quests.

+ 9

Yes, when you take away a majority of the most popular features and activities to a game there isn't much left, you are correct.

+ 7

I just successfully snagged the WoW character name "Bad", and I am irrationally happy about that. I am now Bad.